Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

REPORT: 2012 Candy and Confection Conference

Confections Report

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#31 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

Meanwhile, in the other room (yes, they let us make gigantic messes in not just one, but two of their kitchens), Kerry Beal did a basic tempering demo/workshop covering the major methods that you will come across for tempering chocolate (perfect for newbies, I might add!)

DSC_1099.jpg

DSC_1145.jpg

DSC_1146.jpg

DSC_1147.jpg

Of course, once they had a vat of tempered chocolate, they had to do something with it:

DSC_1207.jpg

DSC_1208.jpg

DSC_1210.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#32 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

And at yet another station, Rob continued with showpiece work, including making some chocolate flowers, and carving the lyre:

DSC_1113.jpg

DSC_1138.jpg

DSC_1143.jpg

DSC_1166.jpg

And Joe showed us how to make modeling chocolate roses:

DSC_1188.jpg

DSC_1190.jpg

Some specimens:

DSC_1191.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#33 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

I was unfortunately unable to be in more than two places at once with the camera, so I know I missed a bunch of other demos, workshops, and just general cooking events going on (plus of course I did some cooking of my own): hopefully others will fill in the missing pieces while I skip to our St. Patrick's day-themed dinner...

Scallion and leek mashed potatoes (Robuchon method):
DSC_1233.jpg

Smoked Wagyu corned beef with cabbage and carrots:
DSC_1234.jpg

Potato-leek crusted salmon:
DSC_1235.jpg

Chocolate crème bar with pistachio anglaise:
DSC_1238.jpg

The group:
DSC_1242.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#34 Viktoria

Viktoria
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

Ok, I don't want to duplicate people's photos, plus I'm not very good at photography, so consider mine "action shots"!

I missed the fun on Friday, but got there bright and early on Saturday. Everyone was saying Hi and getting ready.

IMG_0402.jpg

Others have posted pics of Joe and his demo. I just wanted to post one to show how cleanly he was able to cap his molds! no chocolate down the sides, no mess, nothing!!

IMG_0414.jpg

Rob also showed us how to do piped flower petals. Some of us did quite well (not me :sad: )

IMG_0446.jpg

After Rob's demo one of the chefs at the school demonstrated making a hazelnut feuilletine torte. She was in and out all day as well, peeking at what we were doing, and helping.

IMG_0441.jpg

Meanwhile, Steve made some mint fondants, and then dipped them with a setup I thought was particularly clever. In case you're wondering, the technical term for the method used to remove the excess chocolate, according to Erica, is "bouncy bouncy scrape"

IMG_0458.jpg

Edited to insert better pictures

Edited by Viktoria, 19 March 2012 - 05:30 PM.

#35 Viktoria

Viktoria
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

So some people picked one thing or other, but I ended up bouncing back and forth between everything, since it was all so interesting.

At some point, Ruth began showing Sarah and others how to make a cream fondant.

IMG_0470.jpg
IMG_0472.jpg

Then we made about 4 different flavors, rolled them and let them sit

IMG_0475.jpg

On the other side of the room people were making flowers out of modeling chocolate (which is chocolate and corn syrup, I believe) which Joe made for us to play with. Joe had one method, which involved pressing small balls of chocolate between parchment paper and flattening into petal shape with an offset spatula.

Patti had a different technique, in which she used the end of a dipping fork to push an oval of chocolate into shape.

IMG_0481.jpg
IMG_0489.jpg
IMG_0494.jpg
IMG_0495.jpg

Her roses were lovely (as were everyone else's). I took lots of photos while she was doing it. I am sure I was really annoying! :laugh:

Then it was time for dinner! Chris already posted photos. All I can say was that the corned beef and potatoes were especially amazing (I would never have said I loved corned beef before this). Most people at our table had seconds of the potatoes, and would have had more if we could have fit it in!

#36 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

Sunday was a pure production day: there were a number of impromptu demos along the way, plus a whole ton of chocolate-making. Here are some highlights:

Making tulips on balloons:
DSC_1248.jpg

Decorating a chocolate shoe:
DSC_1268.jpg

There's hand dipped, and then there is hand dipped:
DSC_1277.jpg

Teamwork:
DSC_1314.jpg

Assembling the showpiece:
DSC_1318.jpg

Piping strings for the lyre: Rob developed a technique for piping them into grooves laid down into a bed of sugar so they ended up straight, and with a neat sugar coating
DSC_1324.jpg

Donna flocking a bunny:
DSC_1329.jpg

More showpiece teamwork (lots of people had their hands in this piece):
DSC_1370.jpg

Dipping:
DSC_1380.jpg

Rob demonstrating molding technique to a few people from the school:
DSC_1400.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#37 Sebastian

Sebastian
  • participating member
  • 356 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Fun!

#38 Viktoria

Viktoria
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

On the next day people just jumped right in. Someone had the brilliant idea of having Ruth sign our copies of her cookbook!

IMG_0499.jpg

Steve did his airbrushing and decorating demo.

This is Steve's dehydrator setup.
IMG_0504.jpg
IMG_0515.jpg

I've always admired the splatter patterns
IMG_0520.jpg

The finished mold ready for filling
IMG_0522.jpg

Keri took over the 2nd kitchen and began her demos. When I caught up they were making pate de fruit. I believe it started out port with a base of pear puree. But there wasn't quite enough of the port, so we found some more booze! Something with hibiscus and some tasty warm spices.

IMG_0532.jpg
IMG_0534.jpg

In the other room Ruth was showing how to make tulip bowls and such.

IMG_0533.jpg

#39 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

And finally, we come to the show table at the end. Every year it seems to get more elaborate: having a showpiece this year was awesome.

DSC_1406.jpg

DSC_1416.jpg

DSC_1418.jpg

DSC_1419.jpg

DSC_1420.jpg

DSC_1421.jpg

DSC_1422.jpg

DSC_1423.jpg

DSC_1427.jpg

DSC_1428.jpg

DSC_1430.jpg

DSC_1431.jpg

DSC_1432.jpg

DSC_1434.jpg

DSC_1437.jpg

DSC_1438.jpg

DSC_1441.jpg

DSC_1443.jpg

DSC_1445.jpg

DSC_1446.jpg

DSC_1449.jpg

DSC_1450.jpg

Once it's all been laid out, we admire it for a few seconds, and then tear in:
DSC_1455.jpg

It looks like Bob's relieved it's over:
DSC_1459.jpg

A couple examples of the booty people went home with:

DSC_1463.jpg

DSC_1465.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#40 Viktoria

Viktoria
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

Haha. This has got to be confusing with so many photos going up!

Chris posted a photo of the hand dipping with hands of all things. That was kind of fun. Ruth has some great stories!

IMG_0537.jpg

Not long after lunch there was a mad scramble to finish filling all of the shells, capping them, plating them etc.

IMG_0569.jpg

Then clean up began.

IMG_0576.jpg
IMG_0577.jpg

Chris posted some awesome photos of the lovely finished chocolates. I won't duplicate, but here is a closeup of the bonbons on the showpiece

IMG_0561.jpg

Several of the students and staff hung around to look at the chocolates and took pictures. Here's a shot of the Dean of the school taste testing and chatting. He said later that while they were expecting people who were passionate, they didn't expect the level of expertise they saw.

IMG_0581.jpg

#41 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

Oh, and I took a really crummy thumb-occluded cell phone video of Rob moving the showpiece, so we can pretend we're watching Food Network Challenge:

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#42 Viktoria

Viktoria
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

Finally, here's what's left of my take home stash after my children got done with it.

IMG_0595.jpg
IMG_0583.jpg

That's Han Solo in carbonate from Star Wars, for the geek-crowd. I made it for my husband as a thank you for taking care of the kiddies and letting me play chocolate!

For those of you who were at the conference, this is the mold I have (works for ice or chocolate) I think you can also find it on amazon.

http://www.thinkgeek...hen/e845/?srp=4

I can't thank Bob and everyone else for such an amazing time. I can't wait till next year. It was so wonderful to meet you all in person. :wub:

#43 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,772 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

Posting these for Chocolot:
IMG_1013.jpeg
IMG_1015.jpeg
IMG_1016.jpeg
IMG_1017.jpeg
IMG_1022.jpeg
IMG_1021.jpeg

#44 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,772 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

And more from Chocolot:
IMG_1024.jpeg
IMG_1027.jpeg
IMG_1031.jpeg
IMG_1032.jpeg
IMG_1033.jpeg
IMG_1034.jpeg

#45 Beth Wilson

Beth Wilson
  • participating member
  • 280 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

Wow, Wow, Wow!

It has been a while since I worked with chocolate and your photos made me want to get out the tools and start up a batch or two.

What a lovely display of your class results, they get better and better every year! Thanks for sharing!

#46 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 422 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

I am finally able to post.
Kerry

IMG_0982.jpg

Kerry and Bob

IMG_0961.jpg

Bob Kerry and Ruth

IMG_0964.jpg

BBQ joint

IMG_0967.jpg

Steve making chocolate granite

IMG_1004.jpg
IMG_1005 copy.jpg
IMG_1006.jpg
IMG_1007.jpg

Mette piping shamrocks
IMG_0999.jpg

Meet and Greet
IMG_0986.jpg

Rob working on sculpture

IMG_0998.jpg

Joe's cool frame thing-he just adds more sheets to make it taller

IMG_0993.jpg

Edited by Chocolot, 19 March 2012 - 07:21 PM.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

#47 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

Bob, thank you so much for organizing this event. You did a fabulous job and I had a great time. So much fun to play in a kitchen full of such knowledgeable and enthusiastic people. It was great to see so many new faces this year and to catch up with those from previous events. Every day I learned a few new things!

I thought that I had many more pictures from our Friday event but it appears that I only took photos at Artisan Confections. Hopefully Kerry, Ruth, and Mette will be able to fill in the blanks. In chronological order, Friday included visits to Albert Uster, Poste, Cowgirl Creamery, Co Co Sala, Ace Beverage, and Artisan Confections.

IMG_0150-artisanConfections.jpg

IMG_0151-artisanConfections.jpg

IMG_0153-artisanConfections.jpg

IMG_0154-artisanConfections.jpg
  • DianaM likes this

#48 gap

gap
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

Looks like everyone had a great time. The various areas of making chocolates you all seem to cover each year just grows and grows!!

#49 Matthew Hayday

Matthew Hayday
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:09 AM

Thanks for posting all of these fabulous pictures! It looks like it was a great success, and I'm sorry that we had to miss it this year (those darned students insisting that I teach instead...)

So, Niagara 2013??

#50 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:59 AM

Thanks for posting all of these fabulous pictures! It looks like it was a great success, and I'm sorry that we had to miss it this year (those darned students insisting that I teach instead...)

So, Niagara 2013??

Yup!

#51 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

I'm just blown away by the conference, the folks, the workshops, the production...it's wonderful.

(And I wish that Rob would come back to eG. He is still missed by me.)
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#52 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 554 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:18 AM

At this point we split up and the more hands-on stuff began. I'll begin with Steve's work on the Mint Patties. These are basically fondant, mint, and invertase, enrobed in dark chocolate. Absolutely fantastic mint flavor. Steve heated the concoction up to 160°F (I think that was the temp, right Steve?):

Then into a double-pastry-bag for piping into circle forms:

However, since Steve has "pastry hands" and that bag was hot, the job got handed off to Rob (who has "grill hands") to finish while the rest of us critiqued his form:

These set up for a few hours:

And then get dipped the same day, before the invertase has a chance to liquify them too much to handle:

You are absolutely correct. Heat the fondant to 160F. If it's not fluid enough to pipe, add just enough liquid (water or spirits if the mood suits). Too much liquid will prevent the fondants from hardening again. I'd give you a rule of thumb on quantity, but it really depends on the fondant. The commercial fondant I used previously always needed liquid. The fondant I made and used during the demo needed no liquid at all.
Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things
Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

#53 Fran

Fran
  • society donor
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

Just want to chime in about our experience at the conference... Kathy and I showed up with no equipment, and no expertise. It was fabulous! This could not have been a nicer, more helpful bunch of folks, and I was blown away by the level of knowledge in the group.

We did a lot of observing, and (borderline obsessive) note-taking. (Okay, *I* did a lot of note-taking). We learned a lot about about a lot of different things, though as I've been reading through previous posts and looking at pictures, I'm realizing what we missed! I did actually get my hands on some things, did some dipping, some rose-making, some air-brushing...

We got home inspired, eager to practice and learn, with a thousand ideas about what to do and a desire to spend money on equipment ;-)

Sure hope we are able to come to next year's conference, with something to bring besides a couple bottles of booze. Note to self: bring a camera and know how to use it!

Thank you, Bob, for all your hard work putting everything together. And thanks to everyone for your demos, enthusiasm, willingness to share your knowledge, and encouragement.

#54 tikidoc

tikidoc
  • participating member
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

I'm just blown away by the conference, the folks, the workshops, the production...it's wonderful.

(And I wish that Rob would come back to eG. He is still missed by me.)

I second both parts of this.

I was not on eGullet when Rob was here, but had a blast getting to know him and learning from him over the weekend. Rob, I know you are reading this. Come back!!!

#55 psantucc

psantucc
  • participating member
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

Shelby, I am a relative newbie (I've made some chocolates and candies before but nothing like what we were doing there) and I learned a ton and feel like I can recreate many of the things we did there (probably not the showpiece though :smile: ). I brought a friend with me (Heather, see Ruth's post above) who has never made chocolates and rarely even cooks (but appreciates good food). She made some really beautiful chocolates, learned a lot, and had a fantastic time, and is interested in going again next year. She told me that I may have to back her up because her boyfriend was not going to believe that she actually made those gorgeous chocolates! There were several people there (Kerry, Chris, Ruth, and Joe, among others) who were very generous with their time and knowledge, and led us through things step by step. So absolutely, you would fit in.

Jess

Thanks for your response, Tiki :)

I'd LOVE to attend some time...but , every year I look at the pictures and it seems SO over my head. I'm afraid I'd be the class dunce lol.

Edited to add : Plus, I don't have one of those cool cooking coats like Chris H. has, either lol

I'll second tikidoc. If you are interested at all, there is plenty to learn and no shame in not knowing. I had a bit of experience when I went and easily doubled my potential* skill in one conference; there were some novices who came with interest only and left with enviable skill. Learning tempering alone in person is worth the investment.

Hell, the Friday night party and meals alone are worth the investment!

So far as I can tell, the eGullet confectionery conference is unique. You won't be a pastry chef because you went, but you can learn things there that are only taught there and in pastry chef programs.

Next year, I'll practice what I preach.

Pat Santucci
* "potential" skill because I didn't practice what I learned until I lost a lot.
Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

#56 lironp

lironp
  • participating member
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

We started out tasting everyones chocolates- after 3 months doing Atkins, I think I ate more than everyone! I was very impressed by the level of the chocolates, it was so much fun eating one good chocolate after the other!
Copy of IMG_1117.JPG
Copy of IMG_1123.JPG
Copy of IMG_1132.JPG

During the conference, I pretty much bounced back and forth between all the demonstrations, trying to learn as much as possible from everyone. I loved making flowers from the modeling chocolate, and will definitely continue practicing to try and get to Patty's results, and thanks Steve for the airbrush demonstration, I have finally decided to get one, and will try to practice at home.

Copy of IMG_1185.JPG

This is the picture of the PDF Kerry demonstrated, while cooking- Port wine with Hibiscus/Ginger/cardammon liquer- I loved the result!
Copy of IMG_1200.JPG

Bob pinping Guiness ganache into his cool antique mold:
Copy of IMG_1226.JPG

Final showpiece:
Copy of IMG_1280.JPG

Chocolate remains at the end of the conference:
Copy of IMG_1289.JPG

Bob- thanks so much for the organization! I had an amazing time, and am waiting for next year! I definitely feel more comfortable posting, now that I know everyone here.

I have more pictures I can upload to DropBox, if anyone wants them just ping me your email.

Edited by lironp, 20 March 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#57 RobertM

RobertM
  • participating member
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

While we were busy creating and learning about different confections, here is a peek at what was going on behind the scenes...

To the right of the picture are Chef Huebner and Chef Cacciola who were the two chefs we dealt with while organizing the weekend as well as the head chef's who prepared all the amazing food we had Saturday and Sunday

Choco Event Chefs.25.jpg

Some of the students from Stratford who spent their weekend assisting and learning

Choco Event Students.25.jpg

Chef Freeman demonstrated a tasty little treat and shared the formula -

Choco Freeman Demo.25.jpg

The pastry chef creating dessert on Saturday night

Choco Noree and Cobb.25.jpg

#58 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

Looking through the few pictures I took - lots of duplication - but I'll post what I find that are different.

Posted Image

This is lunch on Sunday - a ricotta filled pasta with pesto. They brought us dessert for lunch that day too - I recall it was a rich chocolate mousse.

Posted Image

Tikidoc's eggs - wonderful eggs - I used the yolks to make a lemon curd and the whites in a pistachio nougat. I brought the rest home and of course shared with AnnaN.

#59 RuthWells

RuthWells
  • participating member
  • 671 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

I am consumed with envy!!!! I must, must, must manage to attend next year. Have dates been set?

#60 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

I am consumed with envy!!!! I must, must, must manage to attend next year. Have dates been set?

Not yet - should be end of April, beginning of May.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections, Report