Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Where to eat in Austin TX?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 mskerr

mskerr
  • participating member
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

I have eaten a few meals at East Side King (different locations), I definitely enjoy it though wouldn't say I've been blown away just yet... I find the ramen to be a huge portion (for me). Always some really good & interesting food for less than $10, it's just that instead of thinking "f**k this is so delicious" I always think "hmm this is interesting" - just doesn't hit me immediately as delicious, which is the reaction I'm hoping for. And cheap-ass roach coaches unfailingly provide for $5.

I have to think there's heaps of great food in Austin for less than $10. I mean, it's the land of food trailers and Mex and Tex-Mex!

And I hear great things about Uchi and Uchiko and met someone who cooks at Uchiko... and while I'm not exactly sure about the menu, I can say that three of the few things I don't enjoy eating are sushi, wasabi, or fancy-pants plates with paint-brush stokes of condiments. Not into it one bit, am a real down-to-earth chick and like my food extremely "approachable" as Michael Simon would say, and don't care to spend a single dollar for any presentation that is strictly about looks and fashion rather than function. (Probably dipping my foot into a much bigger debate here, but that's my taste and I would love recommendations based on it.)  So I am all about the $1.25 roach coach tacos at the least romantic locations, and also, I have a tiny stomach, so I can rarely actually eat $10 worth of (unfancy) food.

#32 mskerr

mskerr
  • participating member
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

Definitely want to hit up Peached Tortilla, Chilantro, and Ramen Tatsuya!

#33 Melissa

Melissa
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

Had a wonderful meal with my daughters at La V a couple of weeks ago.

Fantastic pate and cheese plates to start.  Next time I go I am just having those two dishes as my meal.

Great cocktail (some sort of West Indian Sour) and a great glass of white wine.

Escargot was... escargot, with a dusting of curry seasoning.

Mains were good but not knock outs.  Dessert was fantastic (Profiteroles with Earl Grey Ice Cream).

Service was very good and the atmosphere elegant and chic.  Will be back.