Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Understanding Rum

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#181 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:16 PM

Pfff, it's all marketing. Barbancourt 15 is honestly aged and is $45, my Rattray Caroni is 15 and from a defunct still and was $80 - Shit, even Highland Park 18 is $100. What's special about AOC Rhum Agricole? Nothing at all.

Speaking seriously, Barbancourt 15 does nothing for me -- Neisson does.  As much as I'd rather contribute to the economy of Haiti than to that of France.  Not that I have anything against France but they already get disproportionate amounts of my small pension.

• Rafa likes this

#182 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

Older Barbancourt and older AOC rhum don't taste all that similar, to me. I continue to think that Barbancourt is one of the great values of the spirits world, and like Jo I'm happy to support Haiti's economy by buying such a fantastic product, but it doesn't scratch the same itch for me that aged JM or Neisson does. Alas, Martinique rum prices are pretty ridiculous in the US. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#183 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 728 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:27 PM

Older Barbancourt and older AOC rhum don't taste all that similar, to me. I continue to think that Barbancourt is one of the great values of the spirits world, and like Jo I'm happy to support Haiti's economy by buying such a fantastic product, but it doesn't scratch the same itch for me that aged JM or Neisson does. Alas, Martinique rum prices are pretty ridiculous in the US. 

The Neisson price is pretty absurd even for Martinique. JM has had a 15yo and it is a comparatively economical at $250!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#184 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:31 PM

Oh, you'll get no argument from me there. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#185 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:44 AM

I agree, they do taste quite different. But that doesn't mean the price of the AOC rums isn't nearly ALL marketing and hype. But seems you agree w that too :)

I'd say 1/2 Barbancourt 15 and 1/2, I dunno, La Favorite or something would make a very affordable, convincing, "aged yet funky" cane juice rum.

#186 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:28 PM

I agree, they do taste quite different. But that doesn't mean the price of the AOC rums isn't nearly ALL marketing and hype. But seems you agree w that too :)

I'd say 1/2 Barbancourt 15 and 1/2, I dunno, La Favorite or something would make a very affordable, convincing, "aged yet funky" cane juice rum.

In the interest of science I performed the experiment.  I poured a glass of Neisson Reserve Speciale, and a glass half of Barcancourt 15 and half of La Favorite Blanc.

Care to guess?

The two glasses were not as different as I might have expected, but I preferred the Neisson Reserve Speciale, no question.  Compared to Neisson Reserve Speciale the mixture of Barbancourt 15 and La Favorite tasted thin and almost bitter.  Although, I must say, after a while of going back and forth between the two glasses it didn't seem to matter much.

I didn't do the comparison tonight but I'm guessing I may have preferred straight La Favorite Blanc to half and half.