Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Understanding Rum

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#151 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 680 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

16 years old, from a "Versailles" pot still at Diamond, according to Berry Bros. What's Enmore about it? Who knows.

The single wooden pot still at DDL is named the Versailles still for its original home plantation of the same name. It was moved at some point in its life to Enmore plantation before finally ending up at the current DDL location. My guess would be that your rum was distilled while the still was residing at Enmore.

From the DDL website:

The Double Wooden Pot Still originated from the Port Mourant Estate, founded in 1732, and was later moved first to Uitvlught and then, in 2000, to Diamond. In the same way the original Single Wooden Pot Still was moved from its original home at Versailles on the west bank of the Demerara River, via Enmore and Uitvlught to its present home at Diamond. These two unique copper-necked Stills are valued by blenders and other experts as a source of very heavy bodied, very flavourful and deeply aromatic rums – the ancient Green Heartwood of the Still playing a major role in the development of these distinctive characteristics. While rum from this Still is used in the blending of other El Dorado rums, the El Dorado PM Marque Single Barrel Rum is a single distillate from the Double Wooden Pot Still from the old Port Mourant Estate.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#152 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

Yeah. Given how much the stills were moved around though, it seems silly to call them by their estate name. For example, Uitvlugt could be any number of things...

#153 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

Ain't history a real hoot?

:raz:

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#154 mhdousa

mhdousa
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

So, based on recommendations here and elsewhere, I've bought a bottle of each of Smith & Cross and Wray and Nephew. I've tried mixing them and drinking them straight.  Unfortunately, I just cannot get into them. It's that totally funky taste that I can't get past. The logical conclusion is that I don't like hogo, right? 

Is there any hope for me? Is it an acquired taste or did the rest of you get it right away?

#155 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

I liked S&C and W&N first time I tried them.  However I do not care for all spirits by any means.  Just thinking of that funky taste makes me salivate.  If Pavlov was right, that reaction could probably be acquired.  But maybe better to drink what you enjoy.

Now, if you will excuse me, I am about to go pour some La Favorite and sacrifice a lime.

#156 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,283 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

So, based on recommendations here and elsewhere, I've bought a bottle of each of Smith & Cross and Wray and Nephew. I've tried mixing them and drinking them straight.  Unfortunately, I just cannot get into them. It's that totally funky taste that I can't get past. The logical conclusion is that I don't like hogo, right? 

Is there any hope for me? Is it an acquired taste or did the rest of you get it right away?

I'd say acquired for me - and a matter of finding just the right thing to mix them in.  Not all rum cocktails are suitable for all kinds of rum.  I recall thinking a Jungle Bird sucked the big one - then FrogPrincesse suggested making it with Cruzan blackstrap as suggested by Sam Ross - totally different drink.

#157 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

I've never had W&N but I agree on S&C. I suspect you'd have that opinion about Inner Circle, too. I find these very funky rums can add a lot of depth and complexity to cocktails--a wee bit in a Mai Tai, for instance--but they are not rums I enjoy drinking straight or in more spirit-forward concoctions such as an Old Fashioned variation.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#158 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,899 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:20 AM

I recall thinking a Jungle Bird sucked the big one - then FrogPrincesse suggested making it with Cruzan blackstrap as suggested by Sam Ross - totally different drink.

Bleh, I think blackstrap makes it 20,000 times worse than it already was. I can't stand this drink! (Sort of like Fernet. I know other people like it, but I think it's utterly vile)