Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chocolates with that backroom finish

Confections Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#31 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Mmmm, purrrple...

What's the flavor?

#32 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,885 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Mmmm, purrrple...

What's the flavor?

Highly experimental - plum chutney!
  • Lior likes this

#33 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,885 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

Posted Image

Check out the chocolate on the right - it's my leftover that was supposedly in temper - I scraped out the stuff in the glass cup measure (that's on the bottom) then dumped the remainder of the stuff from the piping bag on top of it. Weirdly the chocolate from the piping bag that I used to decorate the pieces of licorice was fine.

#34 Mette

Mette
  • participating member
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

Posted Image

A chocolate slug - how sweet :raz:

#35 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

Sooo, y'know how sometimes you have a nice cocoa butter swirl in your molds that seems to be in temper, but when you unmold the finished pieces half of them have spots where the color has flaked off? Do we know exactly why that happens? Cocoa butter too hot, too cold, too much agitation? Agitating when semi-set because you just can't leave well enough alone?

#36 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

There always seems to be a piece or two that gets in the way of the mold when I'm banging the last few stuck ones out....also known as samples for the chef :laugh:
IMG_0636.jpg

#37 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:57 AM

There always seems to be a piece or two that gets in the way of the mold when I'm banging the last few stuck ones out....also known as samples for the chef :laugh:
IMG_0636.jpg

Lol, I do that too! Usually with me, it's just nicks, but I always catch more than just one under the mold.

#38 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 554 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

IMG_0636.jpg

I think we've all had that happen. I'm always a bit saddened when a piece suicides by dropping out of the mold just as I'm starting my down stroke to bang it out.
Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things
Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

#39 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

I think we've all had that happen. I'm always a bit saddened when a piece suicides by dropping out of the mold just as I'm starting my down stroke to bang it out.

I've developed something of a neuroses about it, in fact: I've fallen into a stupidly complicated sequence of unmolding steps to ensure that it happens as seldom as possible.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#40 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

Bon bon suicides, so sad :sad:

I've developed something of a neuroses about it, in fact: I've fallen into a stupidly complicated sequence of unmolding steps to ensure that it happens as seldom as possible.

Do tell.... who doesn't love neurotic overly complicated confectionery? But I guess a sheet pan or something would save some losses...

#41 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,885 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

DSCN0089.jpg

The infamous Greweling Buckwheat Dog Turds! A classic.

Failure to table the ganache enough, failure to produce 25mm discs for the bottoms (these are more like 35 mm - so my ganache amounts are wrong) and failure to pipe evenly - which is pretty difficult when you are piping something this liquid.

Right at the bottom of the upslope on the learning curve!
  • Lior likes this

#42 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 444 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

Kerry,
Peter would be soooo disappointed:-)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

#43 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

Kerry, Wow! So, were you able to salvage them and turn them into something beautiful and tasty?

#44 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,885 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

Nah, took them to work just they way they were - they ate them!
  • Lior likes this

#45 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

Posted Image
I'm sure everyone has seen these before... ;)

Out of temper milk chocolate *sigh*

#46 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,885 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

Posted Image
I'm sure everyone has seen these before... ;)

Out of temper milk chocolate *sigh*

I've seen that - perhaps a time or two!

#47 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 642 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

Yikes, what happened there? DId the top of the bonbon stick to the mold and the bottom break off? What a nightmare cleaning those molds!

#48 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

exactly... There was a smear of milk (test looked OK, buta fter 20 minutes the test had bloomed) on the top of the chocolate (base of mold) and it didn't contract away from the surface, stuck, had to bash the bejeezus out of it to get them to come out... luckily there were plenty of people on hand willing to taste test those ones LOL

#49 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

exactly... There was a smear of milk (test looked OK, buta fter 20 minutes the test had bloomed) on the top of the chocolate (base of mold) and it didn't contract away from the surface, stuck, had to bash the bejeezus out of it to get them to come out... luckily there were plenty of people on hand willing to taste test those ones LOL

Some time, and sometimes some more time, in the freezer will usually help the more stubborn ones come out. Then even if they aren't pretty, they are more intact.

A different kind of disappointment: happily made three molds of bonbons on Tuesday for a catering order I had next week. Checked the banquet menus today, and no more chocolates on that party. :angry: Oh well, guess we'll see how well they freeze, and if nothing else they can be part of the spread at my brother's wedding in 6 weeks. That's what I get for trying to stay ahead.

#50 AnythingButPlainChocolate

AnythingButPlainChocolate
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

Fail. That'll teach me to work all day and forget to check my chocolate...

Attached Images

• rsz_1rsz_img_1834.jpg

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

#51 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,885 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

Almost looks intentional.

#52 Mette

Mette
  • participating member
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:05 AM

These ones did not even make it to the backroom - firmly stuck blackcurrant paté de fruit 

(hint - make sure you use silicone paper to pour the PdF)

PDF.jpg

#53 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,387 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:46 AM

These ones did not even make it to the backroom - firmly stuck blackcurrant paté de fruit 

attachicon.gifPDF.jpg

Oops. Is that madpapir?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#54 Mette

Mette
  • participating member
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

attachicon.gifPDF.jpg

Oops. Is that madpapir?

Oops, indeed.....Madpapir (greaseproof sandwich wrapping paper) is NOT the same as silicone paper....

#55 choux

choux
  • participating member
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

I find PDF peels right off acetate with no problems.

#56 YetiChocolates

YetiChocolates
  • participating member
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

Here's my latest back room finish lovely delight.  I was experimenting on whether I could have my transfer sheet on the sheet pan and just slide the chocolate onto the transfer sheet after dipping to save time from cutting each square and putting it on top of each chocolate.  Well as you can see, that didn't work out so well.  Didn't help that my chocolate was a little cooler and thicker than I really wanted it to be (as I was doing a small batch I didn't pull out the melter).  The one plus to the whole ordeal was that I finally used a wire across the bowl for scraping, and everyone is right, that works SO much better!

IMG_1231-resized.jpg

Edited by YetiChocolates, 06 November 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#57 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 390 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

Willow I think that your experiment would work if your chocolate was warmer and more fluid.  I have dipped pieces and put them on a texture sheet... worked quite well.Give it another try!

Edited by curls, 06 November 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#58 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

I haven't made any confections for probably over a year now, and figured I had better get warmed up for the 2014 Chocolate & Confections Workshop: I sort of hoped it would be like riding a bike, so of course I didn't bother reviewing any written instructions or anything intelligent like that. It took me three tries to get the temper right (tabling), but I did finally manage to nail that. However, I overheated the colored cocoa butter, I forgot to smack the molds when casting the shells, and I let the chocolate get too cool (so the shells are too thick). Doh! 

DSC_1185.jpg

Moral of the story: read over your notes before trying something you haven't done in a long time!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#59 ChocoMom

ChocoMom
  • participating member
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

Hi...I'm new here.  But I thought this thread was hysterical!  I've had so many rejects from trying "something new"....its not even funny anymore.

If any of you have teenagers in the house...they make wonderful depositories for the "rejects". :smile:  And, they're very willing to be taste testers. Some kids have a discerning palate, and they are brutally honest...so if you want a straight-up opinion, that's the way to go.

The other, more practical use I've found is to cut the cracked truffles into halves and use them as samples at craft shows or in your shop.  Customers always appreciate tasting a couple samples first - before they make a purchase.  

As for trouble shooting on the moulds...man, that could go on forever.  I've chilled moulds prior to filling; tempered chocolate higher or lower; followed directions to the "T", and still I find...100% perfection 100% of the time is still elusive.  When its only a superficial little spot, I've learned that whipping out the airbrush and giving it a quick shot of pearlised cocoa butter can do wonders to salvage an otherwise perfect chocolate. Love that airbrush!

#60 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,885 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

Here's what happens when your cello covered bunnies/eggs are exposed to the sun.  Laser beams of light develop.  Strange that they seem to have gone for the eyes!

Just like burning ants with a magnifying glass.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections, Chocolate