Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cookbooks 2012

Cookbook

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

#1 DanM

DanM
  • participating member
  • 870 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:43 AM

What books are coming out this year that you are looking forward to? Top on my list right now is Alain Ducasse Nature: Simple Healthy and Good.

Dan
"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

#2 avaserfi

avaserfi
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

I'm pretty interested in Mugaritz: A Natural Science of Cooking and while not a cookbook, I do think Get Jiro! will be pretty fun.
Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

#3 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

The Mugaritz and Sat Bains books. Keen to see if Hideo Dekura's Encyclopaedia of Japanese Cuisine turns out to be interesting. I think that maybe Peter Doyle's est book will hit this year. And, too, Passard's Art of Cooking With Vegetables. I already have the new Nobu vegetarian book.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#4 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:34 AM

Mugaritz, Marque. In Kindle world, A Girl and her Pig by April Bloomfield. My cookbook collection is out of control and I try to by Kindle versions when possible (reading them on iPad).

#5 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:56 AM

Yeah, Girl & Her Pig and, of course, the Zak Pelaccio and Chris Cosentino books could be fun.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#6 teonzo

teonzo
  • participating member
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:57 AM

I second the Mugaritz, Marque and Sat Bains books, and add "Pastries" by Pierre Hermé, the third book by Francisco Migoya, "The Square Cookbook" by Phil Howard.

Teo
My new blog: http://www.teonzo.com/

#7 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

I was looking @ The River Cottage Fish Book--just not sure I would get enough use of it!!
Its good to have Morels

#8 DanM

DanM
  • participating member
  • 870 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

I was looking @ The River Cottage Fish Book--just not sure I would get enough use of it!!

The River Cottage Fish Book has been out for a few years in the UK. I have a copy and find it very useful and informative.

#9 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

Thanks Dan,

Amazon releases it March 20th, pre-sale now.

Paul
Its good to have Morels

#10 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:49 AM

I know there are mixed feelings around here about their first charcuterie book, but I'll be curious to see Polcyn and Ruhlman's Salumi. I haven't gotten into dry curing yet, so it'll be mostly academic, but I'm hoping it'll be an interesting read.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#11 olicollett

olicollett
  • participating member
  • 436 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:01 AM

Another vote for Sat Bains' book, if it finally comes out this year!

The bad news is my ugly mug may feature somewhere in it (I was there the night they were taking some pics for the book) :unsure:

#12 catdaddy

catdaddy
  • participating member
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

Not exactly a cookbook but I'm looking forward to LuckyPeach vol.3.

#13 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

I'm a big fan of Ruhlman and Polcyn's Charcuterie, so I'm definitely looking forward to Salumi. Anyone know if anything interesting related to Mexican cuisine is coming out this year?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#14 teonzo

teonzo
  • participating member
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:09 AM

the third book by Francisco Migoya

For the Migoya fanboys like me, his third book appeared for pre-order on Amazon.ca:
http://www.amazon.ca...a/dp/047089198X

Teo
My new blog: http://www.teonzo.com/

#15 danielito

danielito
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

I'm a big fan of Ruhlman and Polcyn's Charcuterie, so I'm definitely looking forward to Salumi. Anyone know if anything interesting related to Mexican cuisine is coming out this year?

I know of a couple books related to Mexican cuisine coming out this year that I anticipate will be very worthwhile. The first is "La Cocina Mexican: Many Cultures, One Cuisine", by Marilyn Tausend & Ricardo Muñoz.

The second is 'Tacos, Tortas and Tamales: Flavors from the griddles, pots and street-side kitchens of México", Roberto Santibańez the author.

I have several previous cookbooks by all these authors and I'm sure their latest offerings will outstanding.
Primate Asilvestrado
Solano County, California

#16 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

I found a new Kindle book that is a translation of La cuina de la meva mare by Joan Roca. English title is: Roots: Essential Catalan Cuisine According to El Celler de Can Roca. It is a tribute to his Mother and Grandmother's cooking and covers the Catalan cooking that he and his brothers grew up with in the family restaurant.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#17 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

I've been enjoying A Girl and Her Pig lately. The recipes are very accessible and most are suitable for mid-week meals. Basic fare--you could give this, probably, to a friend or relative who normally works from the likes of The Naked Chef and Cook with Jamie--but I've been happy with everything I've attempted so far. Making the 'seven vegetable soup' tonight.

Marque is unsurprisingly good but very complex. So far I've made a couple of semi-bastardised versions of his dishes. I think I'll need to wait until a weekend or the holidays before attempting some more.

Edited by ChrisTaylor, 19 May 2012 - 10:05 PM.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#18 mukki

mukki
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Every Grain of Rice by Fuchsia Dunlop (UK version; US version doesn't come out until 2013)
Burma: Recipes and Tales of Travel by Naomi Duguid
Bouchon Bakery (not as interested as I would have been 5 years ago, but will likely still buy it)
Street Foods of Mexico
Tacos, Tortas and Tamales
Frontera: Margaritas, Guacamoles and Snacks
Coming Home to Sicily
Jerusalem: A Cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi

#19 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

Mugaritz and The Elements of Dessert are definitely on my list. I already preordered them on Amazon. Mugaritz because, well, it's the Mugaritz book. The Elements of Dessert because I really enjoyed (and still use) Frozen Desserts.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#20 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,446 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

I mentioned in the "Cookbooks, How Many" topic about this book:
"A couple of weeks ago I got and am now reading Cheese and Culture - A History of Cheese and Its Place in Western Civilization, by Paul S. Kindstedt.
I've read almost halfway through it and while some of it is heavy going, it is fascinating. Cheese was not merely food. It had religious significance in many cultures and had a distinct effect on the spread of civilization, allowing people who were lactose intolerant (yes, even back then) to derive nutrition from milk in its secondary form, cheese.
This is not a book for someone who wants a quick read but if you are interested in how and why cheese (generic) and the various regional cheeses were developed and contributed to trade and the enrichment of societies, this is an excellent book.
"Cheese and Culture tells the story of how cheese history intersects with some of the pivotal periods in human history and in many cases shaped the lives of cheesemakers and the diverse cheeses they developed."

The more I read, I have so far reached the middle of the 18th century, the more fascinating I found it. The amount of research that went into this must have been staggering. I've read a lot of books about the history of cheese but this delves into monastic records that details how cheese became so diverse and how trading between countries contributed to treaties and alliances that might otherwise not have happened.

As I said above, this is not light reading but it is extremely interesting for anyone who is interested in learning more details of how cheese got from the "Cradle of Civilization" to the present.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#21 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

I'm a firm believer that if you can't eat food appreciatively and understand its nuances then you will not be a good cook, no matter how closely you follow recipes. "Cook and adjust" is my dictum in the kitchen.

For this reason, I'm recommending not so much a cookbook as an eater's book. This gem was written by a food developer who has a life-long interest in taste, flavour, and balance.

The author is Barb Stuckey. The title is: Taste What You're Missing. The Passionate Eater's Guide to Why Good Food Tastes Good. It comes with recommendations by David Chang, Heston Blumenthal, and Ming Tsai to mention a few. Try it, you'll like it.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#22 Twyst

Twyst
  • participating member
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

Just got an email from Amazon, Mugaritz is delayed at least a week :(

#23 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:25 AM

Thanks nickrey, I put it on my list :wink:

#24 flourgirl

flourgirl
  • participating member
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

I have several books on my wish list which have not yet been released but I am especially looking forward to the release of "Baked Elements: Our Ten Favorite Ingredients" written by the authors of "Baked: New Frontiers In Baking" and "Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented".

It is rare that I purchase a book sight-unseen but the recipes of Matt Lewis, Renato Poliafito and Tina Rupp have been show-stoppers for me.

In 2015 Rose Levy Beranbaum is planning to release "The Baking Bible". This is another book I will buy sight-unseen. I am very looking forward to the release of this book.

I am also looking forward to "The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook: Sweetness in Seattle" by Tom Douglas and "Vintage Cakes" by Julie Richardson. These books, however, I will check-out in the library before I make a purchase.

#25 coz

coz
  • participating member
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

Modernist Cuisine at Home. I'm in.

#26 DanM

DanM
  • participating member
  • 870 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

Modernist Cuisine at Home. I'm in.

I nearly shart myself!!

A bit pricey though... LINK

ETA

A couple more that look interesting...

The Art of Cooking with Vegetables by Alain Passard

Nobu's Vegetarian Cookbook by Nobu Matsuhisa

Edited by heidih, 17 June 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#27 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Suzanne Goin's A.O.C. cookbook.

#28 mukki

mukki
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

Suzanne Goin's A.O.C. cookbook.

I was wondering when she was going to come out with a new book! Looking forward to a Sofra Bakery cookbook someday, as well...

#29 Twyst

Twyst
  • participating member
  • 295 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hmmm. I already have modernist cuisine, I wonder if the @ home version will have enough new material to be worth it.

Put in a preorder just in case :P

#30 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 230 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

Hmmm. I already have modernist cuisine, I wonder if the @ home version will have enough new material to be worth it.

Put in a preorder just in case :P

Same here. Will also keep an eye on US Amazon prices. Notice that US site says no free shipping.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook