Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

eG Cook-Off 58: Hash

Cookoff

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#121 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

I made a pork hash tonight for dinner: sous vide pork shoulder, potatoes, onions, sauce from the bag liquids, mustard, and cream. Plenty of sauce there and an egg didn't seem appropriate:

1 of 1 - Pork Hash.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#122 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

I made a pork hash tonight for dinner: sous vide pork shoulder, potatoes, onions, sauce from the bag liquids, mustard, and cream. Plenty of sauce there and an egg didn't seem appropriate:

1 of 1 - Pork Hash.jpg

Looks nice. I bet that pork was fork-tender.

#123 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

No leftover meat in the fridge right now, but what I do have is a lot of morels that need eating sooner rather than later. So I figured that they are pretty meaty, and might be suitable in a hash:

Morel hash.jpg

(yes, for shame, another fried egg...)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#124 Dan Rose

Dan Rose
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

Had some friends over last weekend, and we did duck breasts. I removed the tenders and put them in a separate sous vide bag and threw them in the bath with the breasts. Chilled them overnight, and the next morning, shredded them with two forks. Sautéed an onion in some rendered duck fat I made the previous night with the breast trimmings, added the shredded duck and fried it crispy, and then topped it with a few eggs over easy. Nice and simple duck hash breakfast.
Lacked a potato, of course, but I'm going low carb at the moment.

#125 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

My mother grew up in the depression and wasting food was not her way! The final resting place of many a fine prime rib was hash. My job was to pull out the meat grinder, attach it via the screw to the pull out cutting board and grind the remaining bits and pieces of the roast.

There were always lots of leftover boiled potatoes as well - you generally cooked more than required because leftover potatoes had so many good uses.

Rather than face the thought of her rolling in her grave as I threw something out - I decided to grind up the remains of the chuck eye in the fridge and pay homage. So a quick pulsing in the Thermomix yielded a texture similar to that of the meat grinder - with considerably less cleanup.

Of course it was always eaten with ketsup - actually it wasn't too bad with some red pepper jelly instead.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#126 ChefCrash

ChefCrash
  • participating member
  • 708 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

All I had at work was a can of Spam.
Used corn oil, Lawry's and black pepper.

Catsup would have been good with this. Didn't think of it.

P3274016.jpg

P3274030.jpg

P3274033.jpg

#127 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:04 AM

Now that's a winner--Spam Hash! Looks delicious.

#128 Alcuin

Alcuin
  • participating member
  • 644 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:01 AM

I'm doing some early morning work that must get done, but all I can think about is that spam hash! That last picture is torturing me with deliciousness.
nunc est bibendum...

#129 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

...I never heard of putting cream in hash, but it sounds good. I didn't grow up kosher by any stretch of the imagination, but nor did my parents ever pour dairy products into a pot full of meat....

It's not at all uncommon, for instance...

Thank you Margaret for the Red Flannel Hash recipe. I've heard of red flannel hash but never had it. Today I made Golden Flannel Hash; I couldn't pass up a bunch of lovely organic golden beets with tops that I saw this morning, and I had some bacon and a few potatoes in the fridge. I'm very much liking the method of sauteing the onion and garlic, then removing it and adding it back to the potatoes after they have started to brown. The beets were roasted first, cooled and diced. The beet greens I cut in a rough chiffonade and sauteed them ahead. I finished them with a little bit of vinegar and maple syrup the way I do collards. The beets and onions and greens and cooked bacon went in with the onions.

The only surprise was that the beets were so sweet I thought I should have added just vinegar but no maple syrup at all to the greens. I thought about adding a little cream, but in the end decided against it. We topped our hash with fried eggs. My takeaway from that recipe is that greens in hash are fabulous, but beets should be used with restraint. For all I know the Yankees who invented Yankee red flannel hash like their hash sweet. Maybe it's a New England thing, like the preference for Boston clam chowder over Manhattan. Anyway it was hash, and it was good.

Chris, those morels look scrumptious. I used to do a lot of mushroom hunting but finally got so sick of ending up with poison oak that I just gave up my shroomin' ways.

#130 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

If you thought my earlier hashes were abominations, behold this gorgeous specimen:
tater tot hash.jpg
Yep, those are Tater Tots. In my defense, the potatoes I had intended to use turned out to be past their prime. Also, I like Tater Tots. The "meat" in this one is actually whole urad dal and jalapenos that I use as a nacho topping. And yes, those are over-easy, not poached, I know. So basically it contains no traditional hash ingredients at all.

The Tater Tots were not a 100% successful substitute for actual potatoes here: they didn't retain as much crispiness as I hoped they would. Not a total failure, but there's no need to run out to buy Tots for your next hash.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#131 Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim
  • participating member
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

I can't remember being so seduced by Spam and Tater Tots. Many thanks, Chef Crash and Chris, er, I think...
eGullet member #80.

#132 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 881 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

Hey all --

With the return of home-grown asparagus, I made the Potato, Asparagus, and Pancetta hash that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Fantastic! Really recommend it...

Posted Image

#133 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

If you thought my earlier hashes were abominations, behold this gorgeous specimen:
tater tot hash.jpg
Yep, those are Tater Tots. In my defense, the potatoes I had intended to use turned out to be past their prime. Also, I like Tater Tots. The "meat" in this one is actually whole urad dal and jalapenos that I use as a nacho topping. And yes, those are over-easy, not poached, I know. So basically it contains no traditional hash ingredients at all.

The Tater Tots were not a 100% successful substitute for actual potatoes here: they didn't retain as much crispiness as I hoped they would. Not a total failure, but there's no need to run out to buy Tots for your next hash.

I love the idea of Tater Tots in hash, but how did you cook them? Did you bake or deep-fry the Tots before turning them into the hash? That might have given them the crispy texture you were looking for.

#134 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

Breakfast today...roast beef hash w onions and potatoes dressed with ketchup and sriracha. a nice wake up

#135 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

I love the idea of Tater Tots in hash, but how did you cook them? Did you bake or deep-fry the Tots before turning them into the hash? That might have given them the crispy texture you were looking for.

I just baked them, but these were the "Extra Crispy" variety of tots: they were crisp coming out of the oven, they just didn't stay that way when added to the dal and peppers.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#136 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

I love the idea that hash is for leftovers. But what do you do with leftover hash? Two days ago I made hash from leftover partially cooked potatoes and leftover cooked chard and onions. Very tasty, crispy, cooked with a healthy dose of smoked paprika. Yesterday I made a spaghetti fritatta (tortilla espanola, take your pick) with leftover hash and leftover spaghetti. Excellent use of leftover crispy highly flavored potatoes; a labor intensive sub for tater tots no doubt, but then I don't remember the last time I craved a tater tot omelet. Perhaps never, not that it couldn't be good. The fritatta was way better very warm out of the oven than room temp later, but generally that's how I feel about any baked egg-type thing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookoff