Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

SideKIC: Cheap sous vide circulator.

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#181 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

It arrived this afternoon. I am so excited I'm beside myself! An inspection reveals a nicely put together piece of equipment. Made in California which pleases me.

Bought some nice lamb rib chops and considering doing them SV. Any suggestions?

Even though I want the lamb tonight the plan should be stuck with. It'll be garlic-sausage as the test-run served with Momofuku roasted Brussels-sprouts.

#182 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

As a first go I absolutely love this device. Was within 0.5F of my Thermapen once it got a-rockin. You guys remember to turn it off when done right...?

Ruhlman's garlic sausage and some Vietnamese garlic sausage done to 150F. Took about 1.5 hours.

Posted Image

#183 Dignan

Dignan
  • participating member
  • 550 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

In stock again on Amazon, there were seven, now down to six....... :wink:

#184 Syzygies

Syzygies
  • participating member
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

I'm wondering about the $299 Anova: http://www.waterbath...e_products.html

They were taking advance orders for a first run that should have shipped, but no one here has reported using one.
Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"
Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

#185 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

Looks promising. And from a company that makes laboratory immersion circulators. Cost is about $100 less then the consumer model from Polyscience

I just stuck my toe in the water with a SideKIC which was just ordered from amazon

#186 seannymurrs

seannymurrs
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

I just got my SideKIC on Friday, and have used it three times so far. Made some salmon filets Friday night, soft boiled eggs Saturday morning, and a few ribeyes Sunday night. So far it's worked quite well. I'm a little concerned about the accuracy of the temp probe however. When using my instant read thermometer the SideKIC was registering about 1.5 degrees higher than my other thermometer. Is there a good way to test and see which temp is wrong? Unfortunately I can't afford a nice Thermopen.

#187 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

see what your instant thermometer reads in an ice slurry, lots and lots of ice, very little water at equilibrium. then rapidly boiling water taking into account your elevation.

#188 seannymurrs

seannymurrs
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

see what your instant thermometer reads in an ice slurry, lots and lots of ice, very little water at equilibrium. then rapidly boiling water taking into account your elevation.

Filled a glass with ice cubes (refrigerator doesn't do crushed) then added water. Put the thermometer in and it read 33 degrees after about 30 seconds. Haven't done the boiling test yet, but things aren't looking good for the accuracy of my sideKIC.

#189 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

what are you using as a vessel? This little machine can't replicate a $1000 equipment, try to insulate what ever you use and don't use something too big (like a giant cooler) 1.5 degree F is not that much of a deviation and for most SV it makes little difference. My Demi fluctuates a bit up and down as well, it's all home use equipment, not lab or commercial. Doesn't even have a pump to circulate the water.

I don't know if the SK can be calibrated? And most consumer grate thermometers fluctuate somewhere between freezing and boiling too. And accuracy around 32 degree is not important here. Try the boiling, try setting it to something like 130 and test with an other thermometer (meat thermometer, maybe a fever thermometer goes that high? Or what you might have available or can borrow.

But I'd really not be too concerned some very special things aside, a degree F more or less won't do much damage I believe. At least not with meat/fish/poultry and veggies.

Just my thoughts. If it's pretty accurate between 100-160 or so, it'll be fine. If it's all over the place, exchange it. And maybe contact the manufacturer too for their input.
"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

#190 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

I was initially very interested in this but it looks like it's never going to make the jump to Canada so I've pretty much written it off at this point.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#191 Beusho

Beusho
  • participating member
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

I've done the DIY set up before with PID controllers and having to hook up to a slow cooker or a heating element is a pain, not to mention having to find a pump just doesn't sell the idea of sous vide to people who aren't enthusiasts. When I cook for 2-3 other people showing them my PID controller in a black box and then putting on a pump just doesn't win over the hearts and minds of people who want something simple, despite having the best cooked steaks. What I love about it is the simplicity and cost. Sometimes cooking sous vide is a campaign for other home cooks to say 'yes this can work for you' and 'yes it can done on reasonable budget.' After cooking something delicious I can recommend something to my mom or uncle that they can easily do at home and is one simple gadget that is less than $200 that I can see my family/friends buying.
So Duncan: Bravo, you're awesome! (And get it back on amazon!)

Edited by Beusho, 12 February 2013 - 01:08 AM.

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

#192 seannymurrs

seannymurrs
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

I used my SideKIC in a cooler for the first time, and noticed something a little troubling. I was cooking salmon and had the SideKIC set to a temp of 126F. After the temp had stabilized I added the fish and the temp dropped down to 125.5F. I expected this as it always seems to drop a bit after adding the food. What concerned me is that as it was bringing the temp back up it overshot by a lot more than it normally does. Usually it will overshoot by about .1 or .2 degrees and then level out pretty quickly. This time however the temp went up to 126.6F and fluctuated between 126.6 and 126.4 for over 10 minutes. Is this because of the added insulation of the cooler? Was the SideKIC expecting the container to lose heat more quickly and was over compensating?

#193 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

I used my SideKIC in a cooler for the first time, and noticed something a little troubling. I was cooking salmon and had the SideKIC set to a temp of 126F. After the temp had stabilized I added the fish and the temp dropped down to 125.5F. I expected this as it always seems to drop a bit after adding the food. What concerned me is that as it was bringing the temp back up it overshot by a lot more than it normally does. Usually it will overshoot by about .1 or .2 degrees and then level out pretty quickly. This time however the temp went up to 126.6F and fluctuated between 126.6 and 126.4 for over 10 minutes. Is this because of the added insulation of the cooler? Was the SideKIC expecting the container to lose heat more quickly and was over compensating?

I also noted this with the SideKIC but it was in a smaller container at the time. Until things level off I'm there with my Thermapen to check the water temp periodically. I've also noted that the SideKIC will display a temp lower than what I find with the Thermapen during the initial heat up. But once it all comes to temp it's pretty stable and the display and Thermapen will only vary by .5*F

#194 ojisan

ojisan
  • participating member
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Keep in mind that the thermometer is right next to the heating coil - I assume the coil is overly affecting the temp readout when it is bringing the water up to final temp.

Monterey Bay area

#195 PedroG

PedroG
  • participating member
  • 488 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

I also noted this with the SideKIC but it was in a smaller container at the time. Until things level off I'm there with my Thermapen to check the water temp periodically. I've also noted that the SideKIC will display a temp lower than what I find with the Thermapen during the initial heat up. But once it all comes to temp it's pretty stable and the display and Thermapen will only vary by .5*F

Different thermometer readings during ramping up is a well known phenomenon due to different thermal time constants of different probes.
Below is an example. It shows that the K-type thermocouple of the K202 data logger is fastest, next is the Pt100 probe of the Greisinger GMH-3710 high precision thermometer, and of the NTC thermistors that come with the SousVideMagic there are different types with different thermal time constants.

temperature sensor time constants_1500D-R6_MI_Mits.jpg
Peter F. Gruber aka Pedro
eG Ethics Signatory

#196 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Cool, thanks Pedro. Good to know

#197 seannymurrs

seannymurrs
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

I've got a new setup for my SideKIC that has basically eliminated all evaporation problems for me: I just completed a 72h 144°F cook (short rib pastrami from Modernist Cuisine) and did not have to add any additional water during the cook. This works because the SideKIC is basically a rectangular cross-section: I simply took a regular Cambro lid (I used one that fits my 6 and 7.5 liter tubs) and cut a relatively tight-fitting hole in it for the SideKIC to poke through. When the lid is snapped tight a) you can fill the container higher than normal because there is no risk of overtopping it and b) there is only a little bit of gap around the unit, so very little evaporation occurs. It works like a charm.

I purchased a lid for my cambro and I plan on modifying it the way you did. I have one question/concern I'm hoping you can help with. Can the lid be lifted/removed in order to put the food in the water without removing the SideKIC? From the picture you posted it looked like it might be hard to lift the lid up once the SideKIC is in place.

#198 Dignan

Dignan
  • participating member
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

I've set up the same way as Chris, and i have no problem opening and closing the lid for access.  The hole cut in the lid just sort of pivots over the top of the SideKIC.

I've also wrapped the sides of the container in a pipe insulating material.  I glued it on, which you might not want to do to your container, and of course you can't see in which means lifting the lid when you want to take a gander.  In this set up, there's no appreciable loss to evaporation and very little temp fluctuation. 

FWIW, my unit is steady on with my thermapen double checks. My longest cook was 40 hours.

I've got a new setup for my SideKIC that has basically eliminated all evaporation problems for me: I just completed a 72h 144°F cook (short rib pastrami from Modernist Cuisine) and did not have to add any additional water during the cook. This works because the SideKIC is basically a rectangular cross-section: I simply took a regular Cambro lid (I used one that fits my 6 and 7.5 liter tubs) and cut a relatively tight-fitting hole in it for the SideKIC to poke through. When the lid is snapped tight a) you can fill the container higher than normal because there is no risk of overtopping it and b) there is only a little bit of gap around the unit, so very little evaporation occurs. It works like a charm.

I purchased a lid for my cambro and I plan on modifying it the way you did. I have one question/concern I'm hoping you can help with. Can the lid be lifted/removed in order to put the food in the water without removing the SideKIC? From the picture you posted it looked like it might be hard to lift the lid up once the SideKIC is in place.

#199 seannymurrs

seannymurrs
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

I've set up the same way as Chris, and i have no problem opening and closing the lid for access.  The hole cut in the lid just sort of pivots over the top of the SideKIC.

I've also wrapped the sides of the container in a pipe insulating material.  I glued it on, which you might not want to do to your container, and of course you can't see in which means lifting the lid when you want to take a gander.  In this set up, there's no appreciable loss to evaporation and very little temp fluctuation. 

FWIW, my unit is steady on with my thermapen double checks. My longest cook was 40 hours.

Do you place your SideKIC in the middle of one of the Cambro sides like Chris did? I've always put it more towards the corner, with the pump facing outwards.

#200 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,138 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

Right, what Dignan said: it basically acts like a hinge.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#201 Dignan

Dignan
  • participating member
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

Yes, in the middle.  I've never tried it at a corner. 

Do you place your SideKIC in the middle of one of the Cambro sides like Chris did? I've always put it more towards the corner, with the pump facing outwards.

#202 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Just be careful when lifting the lid to keep any condensation from dripping on the control box. The short cord puts the control box a bit too close. I have mine sitting on a large raised cutting board to keep it out of the way of any moisture

#203 Modig

Modig
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

Has this company gone out of business?

They've been very curteous and helpful when I spoke to them. Unfortunately my unit broke down and they were unable to ship a replacement to me, so I was promised a refund. But now they're not responding to emails anymore.

Does anyone know what's going on?

#204 aa2093

aa2093
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Hey all- I'm having a problem with my new sideKIC it worked well for the first several hours but now the temperature reading is skipping around erratically so I don't know what the actual water temp is. I tested it with a thermometer and it seems to be holding now, but that might be the residual heat. The water is still circulating but I can't tell if the heating unit has stopped. Of course this means that I'm a bit afraid to leave it unattended with my passover dinner in it.

Has anyone had this problem or have a quick fix?

Thanks!

#205 ojisan

ojisan
  • participating member
  • 372 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

They've been very curteous and helpful when I spoke to them. Unfortunately my unit broke down and they were unable to ship a replacement to me, so I was promised a refund. But now they're not responding to emails anymore.

What was your outcome?

Monterey Bay area

#206 Modig

Modig
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

What was your outcome?

Uh, they promised me a refund and asked for an amazon order number. I gave it to them and since then I haven't heard from them despite sending several emails. It's been months.

#207 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,516 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

Maybe you can get some relief from your credit card company?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#208 ojisan

ojisan
  • participating member
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

My last contact with them was on Mar. 8, when they sent me a replacement. I haven't heard from them since then.

There may be a production problem - the beeper didn't work on the last 3 replacements they sent, and the timers were off on the last two. I hope they get things sorted out soon and get back in the saddle. Meanwhile, I'm content to use it w/out beeper or timer.

Monterey Bay area

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist