Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Your best use of Mexican Chorizo

Mexican

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Zeemanb

Zeemanb
  • participating member
  • 758 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:05 AM

Dakki- that does look outstanding! Very similar to one of our favorite taco places here in KC, they take it to a crazy level and throw a fried egg on top.

We had some leftover Mexican chorizo in the fridge after our NYE party, and my wife added mixed it in w/the burger meat one night. I am definitely a fan, nice addition.

#32 kayb

kayb
  • society donor
  • 899 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

015.JPG

Just for the sake of being different, I fried it up in links for these huevos rancheros. I like the scrambled/crumbled better, I think.
Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

#33 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo
  • participating member
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

If you're in the bay area, the Fatted Calf makes really good chorizo. It's especially amazing how good it is considering how well they understand the European tradition. When Diana Kennedy was here, they made her Oaxacan version for her and she seemed to like it a lot. I loved it.
Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!
Twitter @RanchoGordo
"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

#34 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,201 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

Has anyone tried making a pasta sauce with it?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#35 EatNopales

EatNopales
  • participating member
  • 509 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hi Chris

Macarrones* con Chorizo is a fairly traditional dish in Central Mexico (Jalisco, Guanajuato, Quertaro etc.,). Penne Pasta tossed with sauteed, pan fried Chorizo & sauced with Tomato (fresh tomatoes, par boiled, peeled, pureed with roasted garlic, salt)... the dish is dressed with Crema, Cotija, Pickled Vegetables & typically a side of Ensalada Verde (key lime macerated onions tossed with cilantro, fresh jalapenos & Orejona lettuce - a broad, short variety of Romaine)

* Macarrones.. much to the annoyance of Italians everywhere, hollow pastas in Mexico are generically referred to as Macarrones

Other variants of a similar dish is to toss the pasta with Picadillo (Ground Beef sauteed with Onions, Carrots & Peas) instead of Chorizo

In Mexico City, Fideos Secos (Dry Vermicelli) is a very popular dish making regular appearances in most homes, cantinas & neighborhood fondas here is a representative recipe from Patricia Jinich published in the Washington Post:

http://projects.wash...ce-and-chorizo/

#36 AAQuesada

AAQuesada
  • participating member
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:27 AM

I remember my mom buying fresh chorizo in natural casings from a Mexican butcher at an Persian market in Westwood then hanging it in the laundry room for at least a few days and up to a week IIRC. Really good.

#37 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo
  • participating member
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

Macarrones* con Chorizo is a fairly traditional dish in Central Mexico (Jalisco, Guanajuato, Quertaro etc.,). Penne Pasta tossed with sauteed, pan fried Chorizo & sauced with Tomato (fresh tomatoes, par boiled, peeled, pureed with roasted garlic, salt)... the dish is dressed with Crema, Cotija, Pickled Vegetables & typically a side of Ensalada Verde (key lime macerated onions tossed with cilantro, fresh jalapenos & Orejona lettuce - a broad, short variety of Romaine)

You inspired me!
Made rigatoni and the sauce was chorizo with canned tomotoes (whole peeled),oregano indio, and cotija cheese. I didn't bother with the crema but I did used my homemade chipotle en vinagre (made with banana vinegar and piloncillo) for the pickled vegetable. It was incredible.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Twitter @RanchoGordo
"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

#38 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo
  • participating member
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

Oh, I forgot to add that I used a big handful of quelites I found at the flea market this last weekend.
Twitter @RanchoGordo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mexican