Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Meat used in Thai penang curry?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 turando

turando
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:18 AM

Hi,

We ate at a Thai restaurant the other day and had beef in penang curry and it was really yum! The beef was very tender - was wondering if anyone knew what cut of meat is usually used by restaurants and how they get it tender? I'm sure they've done somethign to it to make it tender as I've noticed the same thing in Chinse restaurant meat as well.

Thankyou!

#2 OnigiriFB

OnigiriFB
  • participating member
  • 495 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

Probably sirloin. If I remember right that's what we used to use on our Thai restaurant.

#3 Will

Will
  • participating member
  • 460 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

Can't speak to Thai places, but I believe Chinese places will use baking soda as a tenderizer.

#4 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:21 AM

David Thompson recommends brisket or cheek with long, slow cooking.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#5 fledflew

fledflew
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

As OnigiriFB mentioned above, it's often sirloin although I've also heard of restaurants that use flank. As for the tenderizing part, some restaurants will pound the meat to break down the fibers. If the meat is especially soft (almost gelatinous/mushy), it has probably been treated with meat tenderizer which is an enzyme extracted from papayas.