Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Why The Saveur 100 Issue Bugs Me

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:17 AM

Simple - because I find at least a dozen things that I must buy.

Starting with #32 - The Picardie Tumblers.
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#2 Margo

Margo
  • participating member
  • 242 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

Because I realize I am not alone in my addiction: #20 Griswold Cast Iron, #89 Jambon-Beurre
Margo Thompson
Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,
You're my little potato, they dug you up!
You come from underground!
-Malcolm Dalglish

#3 butterscotch

butterscotch
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

They are on sale w/ free shipping at Sur La Table.

#4 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

Picardie tumblers are the best. Nearly indestructible, handsome, stack beautifully, versatile, pleasant in the hand. On the rare occasion they DO break it's spectacular -- hundreds of little glassy rocks.

#5 Joe Blowe

Joe Blowe
  • participating member
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

On the rare occasion they DO break it's spectacular -- hundreds of little glassy rocks.

Unless one breaks in the dishwasher... then it's not so fun. Ask me how I know :shock:
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

#6 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

There's #32, evoking soome rather passionate responses :cool: .
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#7 Joe Blowe

Joe Blowe
  • participating member
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

The Picardie will remain in our household forever -- miniature grenades notwithstanding :laugh:

We have a cupboard full of 'em, and even more in our storage shed; Duralex's ongoing corporate restructuring and flirtation with bankruptcy a few years ago scared the bejeezus out of me, and I proceeded to back the truck up...
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

#8 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

They are on sale w/ free shipping at Sur La Table.

Thank you!

The Picardie will remain in our household forever -- miniature grenades notwithstanding :laugh:

We have a cupboard full of 'em, and even more in our storage shed; Duralex's ongoing corporate restructuring and flirtation with bankruptcy a few years ago scared the bejeezus out of me, and I proceeded to back the truck up...

I just ordered twice as many as I needed due to above sale.
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#9 runwestierun

runwestierun
  • participating member
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

I was at Costco today and they have a box of 18 of the Picardie Duralex tumblers for $19.97. There are 6 each of the 8 ounce, 12 ounce and 16.5 ounce tumblers. That seems like quite a deal.

#10 Susie Q

Susie Q
  • participating member
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:32 PM

Ahh! A kindred spirit! I'm the same way. Love the Duralex Picardie glass. I have a cupboard full of them in all sorts of sizes also and more are boxed and set aside for when they are needed or not made anymore. I grew up with these glasses and I took them with me when I moved from home the first time. I began hunting for them again 5-6 years ago when my supply was getting low. They were hard to find at one point so I kept buying them as I found them. On the sidelines I even watched an eBay bidding war a couple of years ago where group of glasses went for over $100... insanely stupid of the person. I guess the same could be said of me with my doomsday stash.

I also followed the company's woes as they went from plan to plan, and was hoping somehow they would find a way to save the company. It looks like they did.

You can find them now at Williams and Sonoma, Sur la Table, Cost Plus Imports, and Costco. You have to be careful of and check the quality at Cost Plus. The cheapest is Costco $25 for 18 in SO. Cal. Yes I bought 2 boxes...just for the large tublers which are $3.99 a piece at Cost Plus. My personal favorite has always been the 6 oz. Good for coffee, hot tea, cafe su da, wine, juice.

Edited by Susie Q, 10 January 2012 - 10:34 PM.

#11 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

I'm happy to have discovered the Liberte coconut yogurt thanks to the Saveur 100. Dayum, that stuff is good. Makes my usual 0% greek seem wan by comparison.

#12 MikeHartnett

MikeHartnett
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

I'm happy to have discovered the Liberte coconut yogurt thanks to the Saveur 100. Dayum, that stuff is good. Makes my usual 0% greek seem wan by comparison.

Hey Celeste- where'd you find that yogurt around here? Whole Foods?

#13 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Just thought I'd mention that some Duralex has shown up at my local Tuesday Morning. Tumblers range from $9.99 (5oz) to $15.99 (17 oz)for 6. They also had ramekins, $5.99 for 4, dishes, and two other types of glass: straight sided and flared.

#14 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

Gawd this Duralex reminds me of that hideous green and yellow glassware of the 70's! But, there will be no contempt prior to investigation...

I've had glasses ruined by repeated exposure to Electrasol/Finish and similar powerball type detergent in my dishwasher. How does the Duralex stand up to such chemical abuse?

#15 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

My Duralex looks fine after a few years in the dishwasher, no crazy etching or clouding. I do have one tumbler, a "souvenir" from a bar, that shows a little clouding. But it is 20 yrs old, and who knows how old it was before I acquired it.

#16 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:40 AM

I have 20 year old Duralex as well. Got a few scratches but nothing major. It's great stuff. A local "hip" store just started selling Duralex (I guess it's "retro" now) so I just bought 12 more of the 8 oz size.

#17 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

Recently, I decided to cool down a glass of Mountain Dew, in a 17oz Duralex Picardie, with 2oz of liquid nitrogen -just for fun. The glass held up just fine. The drink developed a raft of frozen Dew floating on the top.

#18 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Because it is always the same? Haven't they featured those glasses a few times already?