Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

McDonald's 2013–

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,626 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

McDonald's learned a very expensive lesson and is now eating crow wings:

"McDonald’s Tries Cheaper Mighty Wings"

When Mighty Wings originally launched they cost around $1 a wing -- a tough price to sell at a chain that will sell you an entire hamburger for a dollar. Officially McDonald's had the launch prices as three pieces for $2.99, five pieces for $4.79, and 10 pieces for $8.99.

Those prices proved too high for the chain's customers.

They're now priced 5 for $2.99. 

They will be sold at that price until the 10 million pounds of leftover inventory is gone.

The price drop will certainly put the wings on my radar when I go back to McD's.

Will it make a difference for you?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#62 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:57 PM

nope.  nothing mighty about them.  medium to medium small they were.

my local supermarket chain has 6 types of wings on there all day 'wing bar' and are bigger, meaty-er and cheaper.

and by the lbs.

#63 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:37 PM

Story is a couple weeks old so I guess fast food watchers have already seen it but, still:

http://www.goodfood....007-10rd14.html

tl:dr version:

• One Sydney McDonald's store offers custom burgers. Angus patty + choice of condiments, fillings, bun and so on. Fillings go beyond usual McD's offerings. Eventually this will be rolled out to all stores across Australia and, like the cafe thing, presumably overseas too.
  • The touchscreen spits out a ticket. You take said ticket, sit down and ... someone brings you the burger on a wooden board. So, yeah, table service. Now, I don't know about the US, but in Australia damn near everyone serves stuff on wooden boards. Meaning I guess you guys did that back in the nineties. I think the fries are classic McDonald's fries, though. No sexed up fries to go with the sexed up burger. For context table service in Australian fast food isn't particularly common: you get it at Nando's and Grill'd (a burger franchise that McDonald's seems to be trying to muscle in on with this move) and, er, that's about it.
  • Base price for a burger is ~$8.95AUD. Additional toppings are charged per item. For context the burger itself is roughly the same price (off the top of my head) as a Big Mac meal. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#64 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:59 PM

The only problem is… classic McDonald's fries haven't been classic McDonald's fries in a while.

• DiggingDogFarm likes this

#65 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:51 AM

Exactly. Paying +$X for an extra burger is all well and good but it'd be nice if you could also pay for beef tallow fries to go with it. 

I'm not a big McDonald's/fast food fan but I'll probably eventually get around to trying the 'gourmet' setup if/when it rolls out locally (I mean, it says it's coming to all stores, but there are a lot of McDonald's stores in Australia and continued roll out would obviously hinge upon its ongoing popularity). Think it's a ballsy move to throw down against the likes of Grill'd when, at the same price point, you're still offering a Macca's patty (it's not like the Angus patties are anything special) and the afore-mentioned classic--or perhaps a more fitting word is standard--fries.

EDIT

Incidentally, I'm curious if 'table service for gourmet burgers' will eventually translate to 'table service for everyone'. Is it a common thing in the States for fast food? It doesn't seem terribly unusual in, say, Southern Africa (in my admittedly very limited experience) with Nando's and Wimpy offering it. It beats loitering around near the counter or working your way through a crowd while toting a tray when there's a backlog or a big line.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#66 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:58 AM

I haven't seen table service at the classic 'fast food' joints when I've gone (McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Subway) but I can't speak for those chains throughout the USA. There is a Midwestern chain called Culver's ('Home of the Butter Burger'!) that looks like a fast food joint - in fact, ours was originally a BK - that does table service.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#67 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:05 AM

I can't imagine McD in the USA changing over to table service.  the margins are very thin and a major cost is employee's

indeed the movement is for less people and more efficient 'machines' in the 'cooking  :huh: space'

Fast Food is an interesting economic category, independent of its products.

McD opening a new chain to compete w 5 Guys etc is also economically a big stretch.  we will wait and see.

it is interesting that Down Under the economics are quite different, or the managers not so bright.

#68 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:34 PM

We don't have as many chains. Certainly not in exact same part of the market as McDonald's, anyway.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne