Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

SousVide Dash

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 Tjex

Tjex
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

Is it me or the temps for oily fish (ie: salmon) are way off compared to anything else out there (such as the modernist cuisine tables). Is this app abandonware, or will we have eventually the ability to set pre-set temperatures?

#62 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

My suspicion is that the temperatures were set conservatively to avoid being sued. If you are an advanced user, you can change the temperatures to whatever you want if you know what you want to achieve. Why would you abandon an app which tracks thermal conductivity and lets you know what is happening to your food?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#63 Tjex

Tjex
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

My suspicion is that the temperatures were set conservatively to avoid being sued. If you are an advanced user, you can change the temperatures to whatever you want if you know what you want to achieve. Why would you abandon an app which tracks thermal conductivity and lets you know what is happening to your food?

The ability to have presets would be really handy, saying this, I never said I would abandon the app, it's highly useful. Abandonware refers to software that is no longer supported by the developer (http://en.wikipedia....iki/Abandonware).

#64 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:57 AM

The ability to have presets would be really handy, saying this, I never said I would abandon the app, it's highly useful. Abandonware refers to software that is no longer supported by the developer (http://en.wikipedia....iki/Abandonware).

My experience is with Microsoft who put out revisions that necessitate revisions to meet their updated standards which is a pain in the a.. It all depends on the author and the frustration level.  Maybe you should ask Vengroff if he's abandoning it.

My eG Foodblog

#65 vengroff

vengroff
  • participating member
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

Hi All,

First, let me apologize for the lack of updates to the app. I'm truly sorry for that. My day job has kept me on the road so much of the last two years that I have not devoted adequate time to maintaining the app. So the abandonware label is not too far fetched.

Second, let me share a bit of hopefully good news. The app is in the process of being taken over by a new startup. I can't share too many details at this point, but I'm confident a new version 4.0 designed for more modern versions of iOS will be out in a matter of weeks. Longer range there will be more announcements that I think will interest SVD users as well.

Thanks for your ongoing support and suggestions.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook
MadVal, Seattle, WA
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

#66 vengroff

vengroff
  • participating member
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:15 AM

SVD 4.0 is now available on the App Store. This is mainly a cosmetic release for new iOS devices and new versions of iOS. It also adds support for some new sous-vide equipment.

We are considering going back to some of the older temperature labeling we had, e.g. medium rare beef is 54.4C, as opposed to the more conservative values presently in the app. This does not affect the thermodynamic simulation in any way. It only affects the values entered by the shortcut buttons.

Thanks again for you patience.
MadVal, Seattle, WA

#67 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:37 AM

How about android?

• Smithy likes this

#68 mgaretz

mgaretz
  • participating member
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:52 AM

SVD 4.0 is now available on the App Store. This is mainly a cosmetic release for new iOS devices and new versions of iOS. It also adds support for some new sous-vide equipment.
We are considering going back to some of the older temperature labeling we had, e.g. medium rare beef is 54.4C, as opposed to the more conservative values presently in the app. This does not affect the thermodynamic simulation in any way. It only affects the values entered by the shortcut buttons.
Thanks again for you patience.

Why not make them programmable rather than fixed. It can start off with fixed values but let the user change the preset to reflect their own idea of what medium rare (for example) should be.
  • gfweb likes this

#69 vengroff

vengroff
  • participating member
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

Why not make them programmable rather than fixed. It can start off with fixed values but let the user change the preset to reflect their own idea of what medium rare (for example) should be.

That's a good question. The problem is that that's the kind of feature only a tiny fraction of uses of mobile apps tend to use. Often, their presence in the app then confuses the other 98% of users.

Back in the early days of SVD, we didn't give any advice on subjective descriptions like doneness. We just focused on temperature and writing code that could numerically solve partial differential equations in a second or two on a device that fits in your pocket. The result was an app that gave you access to millions of scenarios, where tables gave at most hundreds.

Having solved that problem, we were asked by users to give more advice on what temperature to choose. That's where the shortcut buttons on the temperature selection screens came from. Those tested extremely well across users, and have this been an integral part if the app for years now. We got some advice to be conservative with the numbers, which is where the values currently in the shortcuts came from. We're now wondering whether we should undo that change.

Personally, I have my favorite temperatures, like 54.4C for ribeye. I can always select that even if it's not one of the shortcuts.

I also personally like the idea of user-modifiable definitions for advanced users. But I struggle with the question of whether it will be worth it for the vast majority of users.
MadVal, Seattle, WA

#70 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:22 AM

New icon too, yellow background SVD, easy to spot.

My eG Foodblog

#71 Tjex

Tjex
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:32 AM

Horray! Welcome back, your app is the best I've found and used.

This might be a long shot, but any chance you can get SVD to work with the new Anova that is coming out?

#72 vengroff

vengroff
  • participating member
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

Horray! Welcome back, your app is the best I've found and used.

This might be a long shot, but any chance you can get SVD to work with the new Anova that is coming out?

We have the hacker version on pre-order, so we're going to give it a shot.

• Smithy likes this
MadVal, Seattle, WA

#73 Tjex

Tjex
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

We have the hacker version on pre-order, so we're going to give it a shot.

Good to hear! If you ever get your external thermometer (assuming that's what your facebook points to) and tie it in with the new Anova, you have over 10K new anova (as per their kickstarter) users that would jump all over it!

#74 TdeV

TdeV
  • participating member
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

I got the SousVideDash app working; it calculated 6 hours 20 minutes at 140 C.

I notice it has a place for "extra time for tenderness". Anyone know where I can find out what that means? (I mean other than "add 2 days for tough cuts"?)

#75 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

It's obviously where you set the extra time needed to break down collagen in a tough cut of meat but it would be good to have some more guidelines on low long to cook pork belly or short ribs as an example to get them tender at a given set temp

I usually search EG for this info

#76 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

I got the SousVideDash app working; it calculated 6 hours 20 minutes at 140 C.

I notice it has a place for "extra time for tenderness". Anyone know where I can find out what that means? (I mean other than "add 2 days for tough cuts"?)

Over 6 hours to pasteurize means you really should consider cutting whatever you're cooking thinner since that doesn't give you much wiggle room for spoilage to happen before pasteurization occurs. What are you cooking and how are you portioning it? One of the big mindset shifts that comes from SV cooking is the switch from "cook then portion" to "portion, then cook". Don't try to do whole roasts or large muscle cuts SV, the thickness works against you.

PS: I am a guy.

#77 pep.

pep.
  • society donor
  • 322 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:11 AM

Presets: I'm all for less conservative settings. The current ones are the one big gripe I have with the app, i.e. the need manually change temperature settings for every use.

#78 Tjex

Tjex
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

Presets: I'm all for less conservative settings. The current ones are the one big gripe I have with the app, i.e. the need manually change temperature settings for every use.

I wholeheartedly agree, way too conservative! I wish the presets could be tweaks. Ideally it should let you setup your own presets/recipes.

#79 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

How about android?

I'm seconding this query. Any plans for this?

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist