Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

SousVide Dash

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Tjex

Tjex
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

Is it me or the temps for oily fish (ie: salmon) are way off compared to anything else out there (such as the modernist cuisine tables). Is this app abandonware, or will we have eventually the ability to set pre-set temperatures?

#62 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

My suspicion is that the temperatures were set conservatively to avoid being sued. If you are an advanced user, you can change the temperatures to whatever you want if you know what you want to achieve. Why would you abandon an app which tracks thermal conductivity and lets you know what is happening to your food?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#63 Tjex

Tjex
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

My suspicion is that the temperatures were set conservatively to avoid being sued. If you are an advanced user, you can change the temperatures to whatever you want if you know what you want to achieve. Why would you abandon an app which tracks thermal conductivity and lets you know what is happening to your food?

The ability to have presets would be really handy, saying this, I never said I would abandon the app, it's highly useful. Abandonware refers to software that is no longer supported by the developer (http://en.wikipedia....iki/Abandonware).

#64 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:57 AM

The ability to have presets would be really handy, saying this, I never said I would abandon the app, it's highly useful. Abandonware refers to software that is no longer supported by the developer (http://en.wikipedia....iki/Abandonware).

My experience is with Microsoft who put out revisions that necessitate revisions to meet their updated standards which is a pain in the a.. It all depends on the author and the frustration level.  Maybe you should ask Vengroff if he's abandoning it.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist