Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Decent hand grinder for coffee

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Simon Patrice

Simon Patrice
  • participating member
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:15 PM

I'm looking to buy a decent coffee grinder (non-electrical) but would like to buy it in Montreal instead of buying online. I was looking at the Hario Skerton or mini, Zassenhaus, Kyocera and the likes.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

#2 Borgstrom

Borgstrom
  • participating member
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:43 PM

You can only get it online, but if I were in the market for a hand grinder I would go for the Pharos by Orphan Espresso. Very highly regarded by the folks at Home-Barista and CoffeeGeek.

#3 Simon Patrice

Simon Patrice
  • participating member
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

Thanks, I saw it but 200-300$ is way too expensive for what I'm looking for. I will use the freshly grounded coffee in a french press and maybe, eventually in a Cafe Solo from Eva Solo.

#4 Country

Country
  • participating member
  • 401 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

Many years ago I used a Corona hand grain mill to grind coffee beans and, as I remember, it did okay. I have a brand new one in the attic and maybe I ought to get it out and use it as the Cuisinart electric coffee grinder I have doesn't do a very good job. However, the Corona, especially when milling the harder grains needs to be clamped to something quite sturdy - and at table height as counters are too high to operate comfortably. Though coffee beans are quite soft so sturdiness wouldn't be as great a concern.

Here's one for $50 new at a home brew supply place. Should be able to find one for less than $50 though.

This Christian website doesn't sell them, but offers them for a $49 "donation". They have what appears to be an independent review. Makes me want to get out mine and start milling fresh grain. :smile: The Whole Truth.

Here's another independent opinion at a survivalist site. "I love this mill. It is strong, robust and well made. This is the mill I use most often to grind grains and beans here at the homestead ...I give it my highest recommendation." Click here.

Finally, a bunch of different hand mills at Amazon.

#5 Simon Patrice

Simon Patrice
  • participating member
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for the info. The only thing is i'm really looking for a place to buy a manual burr grinder in Montreal. I've done a lot of research and have found many sites selling grinders but I'd prefer to buy it locally. Next time I go downtown, i'll try talking with Anthony at Myriade to see if he has any cues on this.

#6 Country

Country
  • participating member
  • 401 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:32 PM

While I'm not sure if a Corona will grind coffee beans well enough for what you want, there must be some place in Montreal that sells them? Maybe check with people at food coops.