Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The PDT Cocktail Book

Reference

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#181 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

I bought a bottle of Siete Leguas tequila añejo and a new bottle of Lillet and knew right away what I wanted to try. Jonny Raglin's Nouveau Carré (añejo tequila, lillet blanc, benedictine, peychaud's bitters), a twist on the Vieux Carre created as an homage to New Orleans after hurricane Katrina.

9989498584_1ca45d2f7f_z.jpg

Very good. Lillet makes it light without rendering it sweet. A hint of smoke at the end which is nice. 

• Rafa likes this

#182 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

Finally got around to making a La Louisiane last night. There was no good reason why I waited so long. It's in the Creole/Vieux Carré family and it's very good. Rye, sweet vermouth, Benedictine, absinthe, Peychaud's.

10259676094_91fcd2742e_z.jpg

#183 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

Another Old-Fashioned variation, Nate Dumas' Nth Degree with rhum Clement VSOP, calvados (the original calls for bonded applejack), green Chartreuse, demerara sugar, and Fee Brothers whiskey barrel aged bitters.

This one was not completely successful in my view. The 1/2 oz of green Chartreuse overwhelmed the other flavors of the drink, including the beautiful rhum agricole, which is a shame. Also it tasted too sweet. It should work better with less Chartreuse. Too much of a good thing...

10971801306_d112dbcbd2_z.jpg

• Rafa likes this

#184 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

Powering through the backlog.

Here is the Eclipse Cocktail by Leo Robitsheck: añejo tequila, aperol, cherry liqueur, lemon juice, mezcal rinse.

There is some orange flavor from the Aperol. To me it tastes a bit like a smoky and slightly bitter margarita.

11317384123_c38665e676_z.jpg

#185 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 738 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

Another Old-Fashioned variation, Nate Dumas' Nth Degree with rhum Clement VSOP, calvados (the original calls for bonded applejack), green Chartreuse, demerara sugar, and Fee Brothers whiskey barrel aged bitters.

When you say "bonded applejack" do you mean Laird's bonded apple brandy? That would be closer to the calvados although still probably a little different. Applejack is a blend with NGS while the bonded is the 100 proof young apple brandy.

Rhum and apple seems like a good match so perhaps as you note cutting back on the chartreuse will make this better.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#186 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

When you say "bonded applejack" do you mean Laird's bonded apple brandy? That would be closer to the calvados although still probably a little different. Applejack is a blend with NGS while the bonded is the 100 proof young apple brandy.

Correct. That should have read bonded apple brandy.

#187 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 687 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

Though a lot of bartenders / bar books still say "bonded applejack" for the Laird's 100 proof, or take "applejack" to mean American apple brandy—as far as I know applejack didn't come to mean Laird's blend of NGS and apple spirit until long after prohibition. And at least one contemporary producer refers to its apple brandy as applejack. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#188 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

I was in the mood for gin last night and made myself a Cloister cocktail. It has the structure of a classic cocktail but apparently appeared for the first time in Playboy's Host & Bar Book in 1971.

1.5 oz gin (PDT specifies Tanqueray; I used Junipero), 0.5 oz yellow Chartreuse, 0.5 oz grapefruit juice, 0.25 oz lemon juice, 0.25 oz simple syrup, grapefruit twist.

12199476103_c3c5fecae0_z.jpg

I really liked the crispness of the cocktail and how it let me appreciate the botanicals from the gin and chartreuse. It was a little bit like a lighter version of the Last Word. The Junipero worked very well.

#189 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:47 AM

After returning from the cold and snowy slopes last night, I needed a hot toddy of some form. Fortunately, I had recently been perusing the PDT book, and noticed Le Père Bis, with chamomile tea, Ardbeg 10-year-old Scotch, elderflower liqueur and honey. Seemed like it would do the trick! It's a pretty impressive balance of flavours, even with the off-brand of elderflower liqueur I'm using at the moment.

• Rafa likes this
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#190 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

That sounds really good. For those who don't have the book, the recipe was published online on the James Beard Foundation website.

What would be an acceptable substitute for the Ardbeg 10 years?  Laphroaig maybe?

#191 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

I'm far from an expert on single malts, but I would think any Islay would work in this. Personally, I find Ardbeg to feel a bit "leaner" than Laphroaig or, say, Lagavulin, but I doubt that a little extra richness would hurt this drink.

Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#192 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

Last night's libation was the 212 with aged tequila (the recipe calls for reposado, I used añejo ), grapefruit juice, aperol.

I was a bit skeptical at first. Why is it that aperol or campari are so often paired with grapefruit; it becomes so predictable (same goes with chartreuse and pineapple - enough already).

The drink was pleasant but a little flat. I added a few drops of grapefruit bitters and it all came together.

12895745814_ef1c1c46b7_z.jpg

This cocktail is on Difford's list of 30 of the best cocktails invented since 2000 that we discused a while back.

#193 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

Another tequila drink, this time for Cinco de Mayo. Lindsay Nader's Resting Point with 7 Leguas añejo tequila (substituted for reposado tequila), yellow Chartreuse, Punt e Mes, lemon juice, agave syrup, muddled strawberry. It was interesting to make this shortly after trying the gin-based Bloodhound, where the Punt e Mes + strawberry combo was also very successful.

It looks like a girly drink but really it's not. With the aged tequila the cocktail is smoky and robust. And the strawberry was not that big, it's just that my cocktail glass was really small!

14115441692_cc6064ac11_z.jpg

• Rafa likes this

#194 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

Last night's cocktail was a Chien Chaud (a litteral translation of "hot dog" into French), a creation by David Wondrich with rhum agricole blanc (Neisson), coconut water, yellow Chartreuse, and Angostura bitters.

I am always a bit protective of my rhum agricole but I decided to give it a try. It's wonderful. The various elements complement the rhum very well, and it's a great summer drink. It's in the same vein as Charles Baker's Coco de Agua, with the agricole making everything more interesting.

14536496013_d696abb1f4_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 27 June 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#195 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

John Deragon's Death Bed with Appleton 12, El Dorado 3, cherry liqueur, lime juice, pineapple juice. (I took some liberties here. The book called for Pampero Anniversario + Barbancourt Blanc.)

Actually I don't feel THAT bad for a Monday.

14484569944_f834302f68_z.jpg

#196 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

FP, is that a liter bottle of Appleton 12?

#197 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:10 PM

It's the regular 750 mL size, and it's practically empty!

#198 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

In the picture it looked like a rectangular shape to me, that's why I asked.  You better do something about the "practically empty" part.

#199 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

The Old Flame (Cervantes Ramirez) with Plymouth gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, green chartreuse (I used regular green but VEP is specified). It is a variation on Toby Maloney's Neptune's Wrath, sans absinthe.

14507936984_563c7418d0_z.jpg

I set the chartreuse on fire before pouring it, although it's pretty hard to see on the photo. Of course it extinguishes as soon as it hits the foam. It's something to do in the dark for best effect.

14509302925_b560cdf83d_z.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reference