Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

eG Food Blog: Percyn (2011)

Foodblog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
122 replies to this topic

#121 JTravel

JTravel
  • society donor
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!! Never been to India, though DH has. But if you were to put together a food trip I would surely consider it. Or maybe we could all just go to your family's house and stay and eat I don't know who was producing all that good looking stuff....but do thank them for us..

#122 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:48 AM

Percyn, I know it's not a typical food, but is any sort of pasta ever eaten there?

Actually there are several traditional "pastas" in India. My theory is that every culture has some noodle or pasta type dishes.

Some examples from India are:

*Sevai. This thin, vermicelli type noodle is used a lot in desserts. Also in South India it is made into upma. This is a sort of dry dish with spices and vegetables, one picture is here. Other savoury dishes include sevai in spiced yoghurt, with tamarind, etc. just like a number of rice dishes. These noodles are mostly made of wheat, but there is a rice sevai too.

*Idiyappam. This is steamed fresh rice noodles, from South India. They are steamed in little nest shapes or flat discs, example here. Delicious when eaten with veg kurma, veg stew (not a western dish btw but veg in delicately spiced coconut milk) or sweetened coconut milk.

*Kadhi sometimes contains noodle-like things. Strips of (non-fried) pappad, little noodles made of chickpea flour, etc.

*Gujurat has a dish called dal dhokli which is bits of wheat "noodle" cooked in dal. These "noodles" are basically made from uncooked chapati dough, often cut into diamond shapes. Very delicious!

*Khandvi (pictured previously in the blog) are somewhat pasta like, though very different in style of consumption and so on. Other vaguely noodle-y snacks are deepfried, such as sev.

I am sure there are loads more, these are just some examples. Also "Chinese" food is really popular here, with all sorts of noodle dishes being eaten. Imagine something similar to the Westernised Chinese food found in America and UK, but spicy! Italian is taking off more here too and you can buy all sorts of Italian pasta in shops.

Thank you, Jenni.

Shelby,
The main one that comes to mind is Khawse, which has its roots in Burma and is quite popular. It's very similar to South East Asian noodle soups with lots of garnishes and condiments. As luck would have it I made some yesterday! Its perfect comfort food for the winter.

I have some crappy camera phone pics:

These are the fixings with the broth, noodles, crispy strips of fried dough, fried onions, a garlic chilli oil and chopped herbs

Relatives in India also request that we bring with us different types of Pasta when visiting and many people do enjoy eating Lasagnes and the like too.

This looks delicious! Right up my alley. I must make this.

Sabiha,
That is a good looking Khawse.

Shelby,
Too add to Jenni's and Sabiha's responses, while Italian style pasta is not mainstream, it is gaining in popularity and many varieties (penne, spaghetti, fettuccine, etc) are available in select gourmet stores that cater to the "uppercrust". In fact, a few years ago I was looking into an import/export business for food items, including pastas from an Italian manufacturer.

One of my favorite Indo-Chinese dishes is "American Chop Suey", which consists of crispy noodles in a tomato sauce with onions, garlic, peppers, etc and topped with a fried egg. Interestingly, I have never seen it in the US.

This looks good, too!

#123 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:44 AM

Thank you for a fascinating week Percyn.

For a further peek into his trip, Percyn will be posting here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foodblog