Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

eG Food Blog: Percyn (2011)

Foodblog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
122 replies to this topic

#31 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:32 AM

Oops, can no longer edit but I see you already mention that you were hoping to make dhansak!

In that case, I request that you illustrate something else I learnt from the aforementioned friend: That a parsi can make anything "par eeda"! Bheeda par eeda would be tasty, but kera par eeda would be more fun! I don't eat eggs but I am still fascinated by it all.

Btw, did a double take at those batasa. I was trying to work it out until I looked at the link and it said NOT to be confused with batasha!

No problem. Bheeda per Eeda is delicious. Honestly, I don't remember the last time I had Kera (Plantins/Banana) per Eeda and will try to make some for the blog.

As your friend and kind soul Sue Darlow had pointed out, there are many many versions of eggs that the Parsis enjoy and some have even been taught at the Cordon Blue. I collect old cookbooks and have several hand written personal recipe books and will continue my hunt on this trip as well.

Part of a project I would like to undertake is to document senior members of the Parsi community narrate recipes, stories, etc and capture it and make it available for all before many of these are lost forever.

#32 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:46 AM

Really looking forward to this!

Me too. But it looks like we're not going to see pics of those beautiful, cholesterol laden, breakfasts. :biggrin:

Fear not, I will post plenty of breakfasts.

Edited by percyn, 25 October 2011 - 06:48 AM.

#33 Jenni

Jenni
  • participating member
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

Part of a project I would like to undertake is to document senior members of the Parsi community narrate recipes, stories, etc and capture it and make it available for all before many of these are lost forever.

This would be fantastic, I wish you luck.

And yes, thanks to Sue I was able to steer my brother towards many new egg dishes...he hates okra though, the heathen!
Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

#34 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:50 AM

Wonderful blog, Percyn. So far, fascinating, full of new information and looking forward to seeing the photos of the food. We love Indian food but are not very familiar with much of it. It's so huge a topic.

Edited by Darienne, 25 October 2011 - 06:51 AM.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#35 JTravel

JTravel
  • society donor
  • 324 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:55 AM

This is wonderful.....all the things I like best in one place.....travel, exotic (to me) food, and an inside look at daily life.
Thanks so much for taking us along!

#36 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:06 AM

Now for some catch-up posts....

To prove that I do eat vegetarian occasionally....meals that is ....

Fresh Sugarcane juice
IMAG0022-1200.jpg

Dhai Potato Puri - fried puffs stuffed with potatoes, cilantro, date and tamarind chutney and topped with yoghurt and sev
IMAG0024-1200.jpg

Platter of Dhokla, Kachori and Samosas
IMAG0023-1200.jpg

Vada - Spiced potato fritters
IMAG0025-1200.jpg

Shrikhand and Potato Puri
IMAG0026-1200.jpg

Sitaful (custard apple) ice cream
IMAG0028-1200.jpg

ETA: Truth be told, my 8yr old nephew who accompanied us for this meal was pouting because there was no meat, so to him it was an incomplete meal. :raz:

Edited by percyn, 25 October 2011 - 07:13 AM.

#37 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:25 AM

A trip to the fish market..

IMAG0083-1200.jpg

Fresh Bombay Duck - a local specialty.
IMAG0096-1200.jpg

Wild caught shrimp - probably size U-8
IMAG0095-1200.jpg

Black Pomfret
IMAG0090-1200.jpg

Regular Pomfret
IMAG0091-1200.jpg

Cut to order
IMAG0086-1200.jpg

#38 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:31 AM

You describe what you're living so perfectly. You must be a writer of novels. I laughed out loud with the Frogger comparison!

Shelby, I am afraid I am the furtherest person from a novelist I know.

#39 sabiha

sabiha
  • participating member
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:33 AM

I forgot to mention Chikki! Did you make a stop anywhere near Lonavala and sample some? The variety the shops have is amazing.

#40 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

Your vegetarian photos made me salivate, just looking at them. :wub: :wub:

I would love to try custard apple ice cream. Aha. Googled it and found it's like a cherimoya. We don't get them up in the far frozen north very often, but I do like them.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#41 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:35 PM

This is fascinating. Can you elaborate on the "Bombay fresh duck"? How does it taste, and how is it prepared typically?

#42 philadining

philadining
  • society donor
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:29 PM

Looking forward to your reports Percy, sorry to hear about the camera troubles! Hope you can work it out, but in the interim, the iPhone will do...

We had been wondering why we didn't see you at the Han Dynasty dinner at Le Bec Fin, but a flight to India is a pretty good excuse. If you're curious, I posted some pics here.

I'll join Katie in testifying that Percy's cooking skill is quite impressive, so I look forward to any documentation of dhansak preparation. I still dream of that dhansak...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

#43 Peter the eater

Peter the eater
  • participating member
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

This is fascinating. Can you elaborate on the "Bombay fresh duck"? How does it taste, and how is it prepared typically?

I'm wondering the same thing. In Eastern Canada we have "Digby Chicken" which is actually smoked herring. Do tell . . .
Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .
Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .
Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

#44 Peter the eater

Peter the eater
  • participating member
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

Another question from cold North America:

Fresh Sugarcane juice

Is that glass full of the juice that simply gets squeezed out of the cane?
Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .
Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .
Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

#45 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,740 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:54 PM

I can't speak for Percyn's glass of juice but can tell that it is what we get here in Southern California - usually from Vietnamese vendors- and often served with kumquat to squeeze in for tartness. The canes are processed in a hand cranked or electrical machine that squeezes every bit of juice out. Shockingly sweet to me without the citrus "cut". Really nice over ice.

#46 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

Bombay duck or lizard fish is prepared in 2 main ways - fresh, which is marinated with garlic, ginger, tumeric, chili peppers, coated with semolina flour and pan fried (as indicated below). It has a delicate flavor with a slightly gelatinous inside with a crispy outside.

Another version uses dried bombay ducks, but I don't recall the last time I had those as the smell is 3 times stronger than salt dried Cod and it is much stronger in flavor.

074-1200.jpg

077-1200.jpg

My sister in law also made this - Papeta Ma Gohst (potatoes with meat) which is sort of a light stew, simple and delicious. The best part is sucking out the marrow from the bones.

079-1200.jpg

Edited by percyn, 25 October 2011 - 07:38 PM.

#47 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

Looking forward to your reports Percy, sorry to hear about the camera troubles! Hope you can work it out, but in the interim, the iPhone will do...

We had been wondering why we didn't see you at the Han Dynasty dinner at Le Bec Fin, but a flight to India is a pretty good excuse. If you're curious, I posted some pics here.

I'll join Katie in testifying that Percy's cooking skill is quite impressive, so I look forward to any documentation of dhansak preparation. I still dream of that dhansak...

I should have asked you to accompany me on the trip as the official photographer. :raz:

Katie and you are too kind. The truth is that I am, unfortunately, a better eater than a cook.

So bummed that I missed the Han - Le Bec Fin dinner. I had spoken to Chef Elmi about the dinner a month or so ago on a visit to Le Bec. Will have to see if Han and he are willing to do another smaller private dinner :wink:

Edited by percyn, 25 October 2011 - 07:46 PM.

#48 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:52 PM

A few misc snacks along the way...

Patra- A snack made with Tarro leaved and Chickpea flour.
IMAG0132-1200.jpg

Jalebi - Fried dough spirals soaked in sugar syrup
IMAG0123-1200.jpg

Being made
IMAG0118-1200.jpg

Sweet Lassi topped with Malai (cream)
IMAG0098-1200.jpg

#49 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:55 PM

Fresh Sugarcane juice

Yes, it is fresh squeezed sugar cane juice and as Heidi points out, it is ground in a hand cranked or motorized press along with, in this case, ginger and lime to give it some depth of flavor.

I have other pics which I need to download and will post them extracting the juice.

#50 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

It is a little after 8am as I type this overlooking a 270 degree view of 5 valleys. Will post pic soon.

Have to go to the market to pic up some fresh minced meat and a few items for breakfast.

#51 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:41 AM

Fresh Sugarcane juice

Yes, it is fresh squeezed sugar cane juice and as Heidi points out, it is ground in a hand cranked or motorized press along with, in this case, ginger and lime to give it some depth of flavor.

I have other pics which I need to download and will post them extracting the juice.

Here is how they extract the juice from the sugar cane.

IMAG0242-1200.jpg

#52 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:02 AM

By Jenni's request...here is Vada Pav from a popular place in Pune. There was a huge rush and even Rickshaw drivers stop by for a quick bite. They are made fresh in batches every 4-5 minutes.

IMAG0200-1200.jpg

IMAG0202-1200.jpg

IMAG0203-1200.jpg

#53 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:06 AM

Your vegetarian photos made me salivate, just looking at them. :wub: :wub:

I would love to try custard apple ice cream. Aha. Googled it and found it's like a cherimoya. We don't get them up in the far frozen north very often, but I do like them.

Custard apple does taste very similar to Cherimoya but IMHO custard apple has a slightly softer skin, texture and is sweeter.

IMAG0301-1200.jpg

IMAG0304-1200.jpg

#54 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:17 AM

Khandvi - made out of gram (chickpea) flour and buttermilk. The art is to make it into a thin film and then roll them up so that it melts in your mouth.

IMAG0208-1200.jpg

#55 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:25 AM

Being that it is Diwali season, the sweet shops and dry fruit places are doing brisk business.

IMAG0108-1200.jpg

IMAG0110-1200.jpg

#56 bague25

bague25
  • participating member
  • 333 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:29 AM

Thanks for this virtual voyage, Percy. Jenni was so right asking for a good vada pav picture :-)

#57 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:30 AM

Whilst in Bombay, I went to a local tandoor place for lunch with my nephews and had:

Rashmi Kebab
IMAG0042-1200.jpg

Tandoori Chicken
IMAG0044-1200.jpg

Tandoori Naan and Rumali Roti
IMAG0045-1200.jpg

Rumali means handkerchief and they say it should be almost transparent.

IMAG0047-1200.jpg

Gohst Anarkali
IMAG0046-1200.jpg

Mutton (Goat) Biryani
IMAG0049-1200.jpg

Edited by percyn, 26 October 2011 - 02:34 AM.

#58 Jenni

Jenni
  • participating member
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:44 AM

Happy Diwali percyn! Khandvi looks good, that is one of my fav things. And thanks for vada pav pics - I love those salted chillies you get with them.

#59 Yajna Patni

Yajna Patni
  • participating member
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

mmmmmmm patra.

#60 Yajna Patni

Yajna Patni
  • participating member
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:02 PM

Khandvi! mmmmmmmmmmmm so good!