Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

eG Foodblog: CaliPoutine (2011) - Surviving and Thriving in the Land o

Foodblog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
129 replies to this topic

#121 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

Are these "Now" groupons or regular ones?

just regular ones. I buy them for Long Beach because we are here a lot.

Todays breakfast was a groupon for Cafe Lafayette in Seal Beach. 2 Breakfasts and 2 mimosas for 15.00. We both dont drink( for no other reason that we dont like the taste) so we had sodas. My entree was normally 11.95 plus 1.25 extra for egg whites. Julies was 9.95( or maybe 8.95). I had to pay the tax and the extra money for the egg whites. My omelette had bacon, avocado and jack cheese. The whites were coooked perfectly. I despise brown on my eggs. The potatoes were awesome too, creamy inside and crisp on the outside. This came with sourdough toast.

Julies was a baked french toast with a mixed berry sauce. Another of Jules's food quirks is that she doesnt like syrup, so if she orders pancakes or french toast, it has to have a sauce or a berry. I thought maybe she didnt like syrup because she never had real maple syrup. I had her try that and Nope, she didnt like that either.

P1030084.JPG

P1030085.JPG

Edited by heidih, 15 October 2011 - 12:19 PM.
Added images

#122 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

I took a pic of the dogs this morning when we fed them. We have our 4 here( the two big dachsunds, the cairn and the westie). My aunt has 3 mini dachshunds and she is watching 2 others doxie mixes( not in the pic). The white stuff on top of their food is a Tbls of plain yogurt. My vet recommended that for their digestion.

After breakfast we went to Los Alamitos. We went to Katella Deli so I can order Julie's Retirement cake. I'm having a party for her at my aunts place on Nov.`12th. She isnt retiring until January, but I will be deep in the middle of bar study by then. I ordered her a 1/4 sheet cake, one layer of white, one of chocolate with a chocolate pudding filling and a whipped cream frosting. I had the same cake when I graduated law school. I'm going to either have an edible photo put on top or the air force emblem. Not sure yet.

We bought 2 rolls to make lunch with( turkey sandwiches), some macaroni salad, a hamantashen( J's never had one) and some macaroons. The macaroons were 35 cents each. The last one I got in Santa Monica, I paid 2.00 for.

P1030082.JPG
P1030083.JPG
P1030092.JPG
P1030091.JPG

Edited by CaliPoutine, 15 October 2011 - 12:44 PM.
Add images

• FauxPas likes this

#123 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:12 PM

That is the biggest hamentashen I have ever seen! What kind of filling?

Edited by annabelle, 15 October 2011 - 01:12 PM.

#124 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:20 PM

That is the biggest hamentashen I have ever seen! What kind of filling?

Cherry, but it tasted like canned pie filling. The actual cookie part was bland. J didnt like it( either did I).

#125 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:33 PM

Dinner tonight.

We went to La Strada on 2nd street( Belmont Shore) in Long Beach. I bought this groupon for 30.00. It came with 1 app, 2 entrees( up to 21.95 in value) and 2 glasses of wine. We subbed soft drinks for the wine.

The appetizer section was kinda sparse. sauteed mushrooms, eggplant parm, caprese, brushetta. I chose these shrimp that were in a lobster cream sauce. It came with 4 shrimp. I enjoyed them although I didnt detect any lobster flavor.

For the mains, I had a chicken dish that included tomatoes, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, garlic, rosemary, basil, olive oil. It was tasty. There was a huge chicken breast underneath all the veggies/pasta.

Julie had spagetti and meatballs. She said " its not as good as your sauce". Sweet.

I never went to La Strada before, even though I've walked by it a million times. I'm glad I bought the Groupon to try it out. The restaurant was packed, when I went back to see how much I paid for the Groupon, I saw that they sold over 1,0000. I wish I would have bought another one.

Sorry I didnt get to post the boob cake. I have to figure out the logistics re: making it. I need it for next Sunday. I'll post it in the dessert thread when I finish it.

I'm also sorry that I didnt give you more cooking. Like I mentioned, my culinary life has really changed since moving back to Cali. I hope when the kitchen is finished, I'll be able to do more cooking at home.

P1030095.JPG
P1030096.JPG
P1030097.JPG

Edited by heidih, 16 October 2011 - 08:08 AM.
Add images

#126 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for blogging, Randi. Julie sounds like a keeper. Take good care of her!

#127 nikkib

nikkib
  • participating member
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for a fun week Randi!
"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

#128 rgruby

rgruby
  • participating member
  • 687 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:02 AM

That was fun!

Are any of the chains that we dont have up here (Ontario) that are near you any good?

Cheers,
Geoff

#129 Peter the eater

Peter the eater
  • participating member
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:03 PM

Thanks Randi for yet another entertaining week. That shot of happy hungry dogs is hysterical, and don't forget about the boob cake. If you're ever out this way I'll make you another lobster roll!
Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .
Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .
Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

#130 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,735 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for a great week Randi and best of luck in getting the kitchen remodel accomplished swiftly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foodblog