Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Quick Infusions by N20 Cavitation

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 e_monster

e_monster
  • participating member
  • 443 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

I tried a cocoa infusion using the method on the Cooking Issues blog. The end result had a very faint cocoa flavor - next time, I'll try grinding it in the food processor to increase surface area. Definitely did something, though.

http://www.cookingis...o-with-recipes/

Did you use the kind of cacao nibs he mentions? Everyone that has posted about the cacao infusion has mentioned that the results are highly dependent on the quality of the nibs.

#32 cschweda

cschweda
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

Did you use the kind of cacao nibs he mentions? Everyone that has posted about the cacao infusion has mentioned that the results are highly dependent on the quality of the nibs.

I used these nibs:

http://www.amazon.co...28029734&sr=8-2

Infused for 3 minutes in relatively inexpensive Vodka (i.e., not premium).

The chocolate flavor was great -- and grew even better after 24 hours. I did nothing to the nibs -- just dumped about 50g in with some vodka (not exact measurement). Used the iSi Gourmet Whip, one N20 cartridge, infused, shook for 30 seconds, let sit for 3 mins, vented quickly. Great cocoa taste -- no bitterness. It's interesting because while the cocoa was pronounced -- very pronounced -- it wasn't at all cloying or heavy. Very nice!

Edited by cschweda, 31 January 2012 - 10:16 AM.

#33 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 485 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

My nibs came from Whole Foods, and are not so good. I'll try the brand you recommend.

What temperature was the vodka during infusion?

#34 e_monster

e_monster
  • participating member
  • 443 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

My nibs came from Whole Foods, and are not so good. I'll try the brand you recommend.

By the way, I recommend using decent vodka. I made a few infusions with cheap vodka and the results were definitely sub-par. Stoli seems to work pretty well and is not terribly expensive. If there are cheaper brands that are smooth, I'd love to know.

#35 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

By the way, I recommend using decent vodka. I made a few infusions with cheap vodka and the results were definitely sub-par. Stoli seems to work pretty well and is not terribly expensive. If there are cheaper brands that are smooth, I'd love to know.

Monopolowa and Luksusowa are both very good, run about $11/750ml.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#36 cschweda

cschweda
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

Agreed about the quality of vodka. When I make this again (yhis weekend), I'll buy something a bit better than the no-name six-dollar bottle.

BTW -- everything was at room temperature.

#37 e_monster

e_monster
  • participating member
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

Agreed about the quality of vodka. When I make this again (yhis weekend), I'll buy something a bit better than the no-name six-dollar bottle.

BTW -- everything was at room temperature.

All my infusions were done at room temperature as that was what Dave recommends in the article. My harsh infusions were done with Smirnoff and Burnett's. Both were very harsh and put the lie to my belief that cheap vodka wouldn't be that much different from a half-decent vodka.

#38 cschweda

cschweda
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

All my infusions were done at room temperature as that was what Dave recommends in the article. My harsh infusions were done with Smirnoff and Burnett's. Both were very harsh and put the lie to my belief that cheap vodka wouldn't be that much different from a half-decent vodka.

Yep -- I found the same thing. Cheap vodka is insanely harsh. I tried an infusion earlier this evening with Absolut. Fantastic. Not harsh at all but with all of the cocoa flavor. Used 50g of nibs again. Turned a dark brown, but I notice (after a couple hours now) it's not quite as dark.

#39 evo-lution

evo-lution
  • participating member
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:04 AM

Chiming in a little late here but if you can get your hands on them I recommend Valrhona Grue De Cacao (cocoa nibs). Possibly a little pricier but worth parting with the extra coin if that's the case.
Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

#40 bhsimon

bhsimon
  • participating member
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

Slightly sideline to this topic, but potentially very useful. I've done a few tests filtering low-quality vodka with impressive results. Using an expired Brita water filter, we pass inexpensive vodka through the filter 3 times. Good results can also be achieve after 2 passes. There is little gain with 4 passes.

This process markedly improves the perceived quality of the vodka, and as been preferred by all of the 10+ participants in my triangle discrimination tests.

This might be useful for those wanting to experiment with the rapid infusion process without going through their expensive vodka. Once a preferred formula and method has been derived, it could be applied to the top-shelf vodka.

#41 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

Morgenthaler has an iSi video where he "barrel ages" a negroni in his iSi with oak chips. However, he lets it rest overnight before venting the gas out.

I was wondering what the purpose of that is - and does letting it rest longer infuse more flavor in?

For example, in one of Dave Arnold's videos, he infuse mint into water and charges it with CO2 to create mint soda water. However, he doesn't really let it rest, and the water barely turns green.  When I've infused mint into Everclear, the booze turns bright green within a couple hours or so. 

So here's what I don't get. 1) The instant infusion thing is the equivalent of a couple weeks traditional infusion. So how come the mint in Dave Arnold's video didn't turn the water bright green? Does water not extract the color as much? 2) What is an overnight rest + nitrogen cavitation the equivalent to in terms of traditional infusion/aging?

#42 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

1) Exactly. Chlorophyll is very soluble in alcohol, but insoluble in water.

#43 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

Well, that solves that. Merci!

How about No. 2?

#44 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

Well, that solves that. Merci!

How about No. 2?

It's going to be dependent on pressure & temperature in your iSi.

#45 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

Well assume 750ml of booze, a 1L iSi, and 2 nitrous charges

#46 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

Just send me a couple of iSis (and the booze), and I will do the research for you. :raz:

• Rafa likes this

#47 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

I might. I got a pretty good condition used 1 L Gourmet Whip on eBay the other day and today I discovered it doesn't include the fucking charger holder, rendering the entire device useless!

#48 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:36 PM

Creamright sells spare parts but you might as well have purchased from them in the first place.

Edit:  the charger holder is $12.00.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 26 September 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#49 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:56 PM

Yeah, just found that. I think I have to resort to that.