Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

eGullet Foodblog: ScottyBoy (2011)

Foodblog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
211 replies to this topic

#31 Alcuin

Alcuin
  • participating member
  • 644 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:54 AM

Wow beautiful food, especially that perfect chicken skin. That's definitely on the list of things to try. Looking forward to the rest of the blog!
nunc est bibendum...

#32 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:08 AM

So what do I eat on a prep day? Usually get a nice pizza and just snack on it all day... Round Table makes a good chicken and garlic pie.

Attached Images

• pizza.jpg

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#33 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:24 AM

There are two dishes out of the six courses that I make every dinner, this soup and my desert. Right now it's chanterelles, I bulk it up with some button mushrooms too. Into a very hot shallow pot with some salt. When they start to brown a little I add the onions. It will all fry together until a deep brown. Then drained of all the oil I throw it in a pot with chicken stock and simmer for a bit. Blend and emulsify about 3 tablespoons of butter in the blender while it's hot. Strain it into a bowl. Finish the seasoning with some sherry vinegar and salt. Just enough vinegar so you can't smell or taste it but it helps the soup linger in your tongue. I froth up some milk with a little truffle oil so when you drink it out of a cup you smell the truffle and taste the soup.

Attached Images

• shrooms.jpg
  • Shrooms2.jpg
  • shrooms3.jpg
  • shroom4.jpg
  • shroom5.jpg
  • Shroom6.jpg

Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#34 EatNopales

EatNopales
  • participating member
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

What an effin awesome blog. BTW, SB you might enjoy that there cantinas in Mex City that specialize in "Chicharrones" made with everything from Chicken Skin to Fish Skin (with bits of meat attached) to Cotija cheese

#35 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

Oh yes! I always my skin crackers from fish as well, love salmon. I think it's really important especially when cooking anything with skin sous vide that you crisp it seperate.

Quick little picture of Fenton's Creamery. If you saw the Pixar movie "Up", this is the ice cream shop they were talking about.

Then some marin sun short ribs bagged with my beef demi and a scoop of beef fat. Into the water at 132 and I will eat you little guys on Wednesday!

Attached Images

• Fentons.jpg
  • Short ribs.jpg

Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#36 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

When they come in my buddies at Tokyo fish market give me a call. $17 a pound. I love it since they are so big you can get a crust on both sides instead of just the top.

Posted Image

Yeah? We call that Bay scallop here. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

---------------

I feel sorry for whoever will be doing a blog after you. :hmmm:

dcarch

#37 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

There are two dishes out of the six courses that I make every dinner, this soup and my desert. Right now it's chanterelles, I bulk it up with some button mushrooms too. Into a very hot shallow pot with some salt. When they start to brown a little I add the onions. It will all fry together until a deep brown. Then drained of all the oil I throw it in a pot with chicken stock and simmer for a bit. Blend and emulsify about 3 tablespoons of butter in the blender while it's hot. Strain it into a bowl. Finish the seasoning with some sherry vinegar and salt. Just enough vinegar so you can't smell or taste it but it helps the soup linger in your tongue. I froth up some milk with a little truffle oil so when you drink it out of a cup you smell the truffle and taste the soup.

Beautiful mushrooms. Do you wash them or just wipe them to get them clean? I know there are different schools of thoughts on that topic. I usually start by wiping them, but give up after 5 minutes and just rinse them instead...

It's great to see the prep that goes into the wonderful dishes that you've been sharing with us! I can't wait to read the rest of your blog.

#38 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:14 PM

Seafood battle! Haven't even visited my fish shop yet.... :cool:
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#39 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

When they come in my buddies at Tokyo fish market give me a call. $17 a pound. I love it since they are so big you can get a crust on both sides instead of just the top.

Posted Image

You could flatten that monster and do all kinds of interesting things...scallop scallopini?

#40 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

The short ribs are gonna be awesome.
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#41 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:15 PM

Lunch time!

I have been going to True Burger since it opened. They do it right. The bun is always very key for me and it's a custom egg bun lightly toasted on the griddle. Garlic aoli, heirloom tomato (durring the season) and angus beef ground in house. Let me just mention that I am a big fan of american cheese on my sandwichs and burgers... AND my favorite root beer is served there. Perfection in a burger for me.

Attached Images

• true burger 4.jpg
  • True burger 3.jpg
  • True burger 2.jpg
  • True burger.jpg

Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#42 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:35 PM

A visit to "580 farm". My friend bought this house about a year ago and it's his dream to develop all the land to grow veggies and raise animals. He supplies me with tomatoes and eggs but the sky is the limit as you can see. this is only half of his back yard. I like to say my food is somewhat "hyper local" considering if I don't grow it I get it from friends and community gardens. Of course meat and seafood is as local as I can find but people need to know that these folks are out there and they have extra!

Attached Images

• 580 6.jpg
  • 580 4.jpg
  • 580 7.jpg
  • 580.jpg

Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#43 artisan02

artisan02
  • participating member
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:36 PM

Lunch time!

I have been going to True Burger since it opened. They do it right. The bun is always very key for me and it's a custom egg bun lightly toasted on the griddle. Garlic aoli, heirloom tomato (durring the season) and angus beef ground in house. Let me just mention that I am a big fan of american cheese on my sandwichs and burgers... AND my favorite root beer is served there. Perfection in a burger for me.

Now I want to try this place out. Where is it located?

Christine

#44 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

If you're in the area it's either True Burger in Oakland or the Five Ten Burger truck which moves around. It's really a toss up for me, both are great, just spoiled with choices I guess.

Edited by ScottyBoy, 19 September 2011 - 02:39 PM.

Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#45 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

The burger looks great...and the fries don't look bad either. Nice looking bun - does it hold up for the whole hamburger?
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#46 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

Yes that is key as well. I'm just getting to the end and only now has it broken a little. Even on a juicy double burger it handles it. As you can see it was just a little wet since I had gotten it to go. Solid fries...very crispy then fluffy in the middle.

Edited by ScottyBoy, 19 September 2011 - 02:56 PM.

Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#47 Alcuin

Alcuin
  • participating member
  • 644 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

Glad to see some Sprecher's love: I've never had a better rootbeer either.
nunc est bibendum...

#48 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm enjoying following along. That burger looks great!
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#49 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:12 PM

Yes that is key as well. I'm just getting to the end and only now has it broken a little. Even on a juicy double burger it handles it. As you can see it was just a little wet since I had gotten it to go. Solid fries...very crispy then fluffy in the middle.

Make me even more jealous. How much?
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#50 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

Double cheese burger, fries and soda, $14. Well worth it.
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#51 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

Yeah, yeah... burger, bun, fries. Tasty stuff. :raz: Let's hear more about all that local product you have access to (and I don't). My head would explode, I'd be in idea overload from all the possibilities. :biggrin: We have a short, unreliable growing season and not a lot of local resources so I get all excited when I see an abundance of tasty ingredients to work with.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#52 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:41 PM

Here's a little photo teaser for tomorrow. Pictures I took at Monterey market a little while ago. I'll be doing my shopping bicycle loop to all my markets tomorrow and will document. try not to get too jealous my friend.

Posted Image
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#53 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:50 PM

try not to get too jealous my friend.

Too late, I already did. :biggrin: Very nice... can't wait to see what you go with and what you do with it.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#54 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:53 PM

Tomorrow is mostly just documenting. Later in the week I'll be buying a lot of product and cooking for my work.

Off to my friend's new wine bar!
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#55 kayb

kayb
  • society donor
  • 899 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:42 PM

Here's a little photo teaser for tomorrow. Pictures I took at Monterey market a little while ago. I'll be doing my shopping bicycle loop to all my markets tomorrow and will document. try not to get too jealous my friend.

Posted Image

Just kill me now. You people out there have the most astounding shopping options....
Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

#56 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

Posted Image

Do you dust the Scallops with flour before searing them?

#57 LindaK

LindaK
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:38 PM

ScottyBoy, wow, great food as usual (LOVE the soup) and of course California's food and produce options seem like another planet to most of us in the States.

I'm really interested in how you do your food shopping and procurement by bike. When I gave up my car almost 2 years ago, my food shopping habits barely changed, I still do my shopping at farmers market and grocery stores that I get to on foot, by my usual subway line, or by bike. But for a big dinner party, or when I need to stock up on heavy staples (flour, canned tomatoes, etc.) there's no substitute for a car. How do you manage all these dinners?

#58 Peter the eater

Peter the eater
  • participating member
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:41 PM

Posted Image

Just kill me now. You people out there have the most astounding shopping options....

No kidding. And he hasn't even mentioned avacados.

Great stuff ScottyBoy.
Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .
Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .
Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

#59 barolo

barolo
  • participating member
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:00 PM

It's all looking wonderful but mostly I wish I had a "580 farm" nearby. That's a happy looking chicken.

Edited by barolo, 19 September 2011 - 08:00 PM.

Cheers,
Anne

#60 Jenni

Jenni
  • participating member
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:58 AM

ScottyBoy, can you tell us a little about the pre-cooking bit of your business? For instance, do customers just ask you to cook them something and leave it up to you or do they make requests for certain things? Do you allow reasonable exclusions (e.g allergic to peanuts) so long as it doesn't created big complications for you? Have you ever made a vegetarian meal for customers? What is the largest number of guests you have cooked for?

Sorry for all my questions, I am very curious!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foodblog