Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Forgotten candy bars, e.g., Caramello

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:30 PM

I was at CVS tonight and my eyes were wandering over the immense candy selection. I noticed, among other things, a box of Caramello bars.

Caramello bars? I had completely forgotten about the existence of the Caramello. I'm sure I haven't had one in 25+ years. But I do remember liking them. I'm now thinking I should have bought one.

This all caused me to consider some of the candy bars of old, and how much I wished I could be part of a community of people who enjoy discussing such things.

Reggie bar anyone?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#2 heidih

heidih
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:35 PM

Well not a candy bar but a hard candy - Regal Crown Sours - cherry and lemon. Discontinued. Nothing has come close for me. Anybody find a replacement? I can clearly imagine the taste and it has been at least 15 or more years since I had one.

#3 Genkinaonna

Genkinaonna
  • participating member
  • 577 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:40 PM

My dad brought home two Pearson's salted nut rolls yesterday. I don't think I'd had one in 20 years. It was just as good as I remember.

Sorry FG, Caramello's just too sweet for me!
If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

#4 JAZ

JAZ
  • manager
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:51 PM

Caravelle. I used to love those.

#5 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:01 PM

How did you forget Caramello?! That is the single best caramel-focused candy in mass-market existence.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#6 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:09 PM

I have to do some comparisons but on the rare occasion that I indulge in a mass-market, caramel-focused candy I go for Rolos. I am also in what I guess is the minority of candy eaters that can't stand the Cadbury chocolate recipe. In general I have no idea why so many connoisseurs prefer the British mass-market candies (or the ones made elsewhere under license, such as Cadbury items being made by Hershey in the US) to the American ones. I find the British mass-market chocolate to be inferior -- not that either is particularly good as chocolate goes.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#7 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

I was trying to remember a nougat bar I used to love as a kid. Couldn't remember the name. Spent some time on the internet and discovered that it was called "Big Hunk" and the chocolate covered version was the "Look" Bar. You can still buy them, although probably not in stores. Found lots of fun stuff at http://www.oldtimecandy.com/

Caramello's are really big here in Toronto. So are Kit Kats which are a complete waste of calories, IMNVHO.

#8 heidih

heidih
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:56 PM

Ah the Big Hunk - we used to freeze them and them hit them on the sidewalk to break into manageable pieces (still in the wrapper). If we had any fillings at the time I think this stuff would have pulled them out.

#9 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

I have to do some comparisons but on the rare occasion that I indulge in a mass-market, caramel-focused candy I go for Rolos. I am also in what I guess is the minority of candy eaters that can't stand the Cadbury chocolate recipe. In general I have no idea why so many connoisseurs prefer the British mass-market candies (or the ones made elsewhere under license, such as Cadbury items being made by Hershey in the US) to the American ones. I find the British mass-market chocolate to be inferior -- not that either is particularly good as chocolate goes.

Oh, no... the chocolate is terrible, borderline inedible. But that soft caramel! Yes, please. Rolo are awful, practically designed to cause dental damage.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#10 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • participating member
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:32 AM

Ah the Big Hunk - we used to freeze them and them hit them on the sidewalk to break into manageable pieces (still in the wrapper). If we had any fillings at the time I think this stuff would have pulled them out.

sure it wasn't turkish taffy?

for us it was mallow bars or skybars.

actually these folks have a good selection Vermont Country Store
The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe.

Joe Gould
Monstrous Depravity (1963)

#11 Mano

Mano
  • participating member
  • 359 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:59 AM

When I was I kid I remember thinking "When I get older I can buy as many candy bars as I want," but now that I am I rarely buy even one.

Bonomo's Turkish Taffy was a favorite ("Smack it and crack it!"). It disappeared but is now available at a few specialty stores nearby and I bought a chocolate. As a kid I must've eaten over a hundred so my memory of the entire Bonomo experience is hard wired. The new version is soft, bland and disappointing.
“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”
Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

#12 KaffeeKlatsch

KaffeeKlatsch
  • participating member
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:52 AM

Pecan Chunky bars.

Loved them. Never cared for the original as I don't like raisins in chocolate, but I loved the pecan version. I'll occasionally see the original in the store, but haven't seen the pecan version in years.

#13 vloglady

vloglady
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:58 AM

Check out:

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/

Susan

#14 larryroohr

larryroohr
  • participating member
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:16 AM

What about candy that doesn't seem the same as it used to be? Heath bars, they don't seem nearly as good as they did in the 60's. Maybe it's me just getting older, there certainly are stinky cheeses and very spicy things I love now but wouldn't touch as a kid. Or maybe the ingredients were cost reduced? They certainly don't compare to locally made similar bars at the chocolate shop.

#15 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:03 AM

Both 5th Avenue and ZERO bars used to have large almonds on top. Then it was halves, then bits, now, no almonds.

#16 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 897 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:49 AM

Mallo Cups, back when they were edible.

100,000 Dollar Bar
I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

#17 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

At the moment I am eating Sugar Babies and really enjoying them.

#18 heidih

heidih
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:16 PM

Mallo Cups, back when they were edible.

That is the one I could not remember the name of. I know I saw it recently in a display. So......not worth getting the current version?

#19 butterscotch

butterscotch
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:41 PM

Caravelle. I used to love those.

Oh yes!

#20 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

Fat Guy just reminded me of the Charleston Chew: I think the last time I had one I was maybe ten years old. Do they still make them?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#21 heidih

heidih
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

I had forgotten the name of this one - just saw it in the local drugstore display - Christopher's Cherry - oh my!!! LINK

#22 demiglace

demiglace
  • participating member
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:57 PM

I loved Treasure Chest choc bars..also loved Jelly Tots.

#23 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,458 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:18 AM

You gotta get to Economy Candy...click it.
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#24 butterscotch

butterscotch
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:57 AM

At the moment I am eating Sugar Babies and really enjoying them.

Sugar Babies is one of the rare ones that taste the same as they used to. I used to love Caramello too, but not in th last ten years or so. Something happened to that recipe.

#25 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:32 AM

I am still pining for 5-Star Bars. Nothing else even gets close to 'em.
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#26 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:28 PM

Well not a candy bar but a hard candy - Regal Crown Sours - cherry and lemon. Discontinued. Nothing has come close for me. Anybody find a replacement? I can clearly imagine the taste and it has been at least 15 or more years since I had one.

YES Heidi. My grandmother always used to have a roll or two in her handbag. One of my absolute favorite candies - they were like larger Life Savers without the center hole, and much more sour & complex.

I'd give anything to eat these again. Discontinued years ago by the (Westchester NY, I believe) candymaker.

Can someone reverse-engineer Regal Crown Sours, starting with the cherry? And I believe there was an excellent raspberry too.

Chowhound thread on this:

http://chowhound.cho...m/topics/269188

#27 BarbaraY

BarbaraY
  • participating member
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:53 AM

This goes way back. Cowboy bars. They were a coconut caramel bar. I have searched many sites but so far nothing. The other bar that I miss is the original Mars bar, chocolate with nougat center and toasted almonds on top. Just made myself drool thinking of Mars bars.

#28 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:03 AM

Ice cubes
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#29 heidih

heidih
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:06 AM

Ice cubes

Yes! Letting them slowly melt in your mouth and filling it with the unique "chococlate" taste

#30 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:21 PM

I have several bags in my freezer Heidih...

You can buy em online
Wawa Sizzli FTW!