Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Best Portland informal lunch place?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 veil

veil
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

I will be driving up to Bangor on Wednesday, and will have driven 3.5 hours by the time I get to Portland, so I'll be hungry! What's a lunch place that is open on Wednesday, that will tolerate shorts, a T-shirt, and flip-flops (not to mention the cranky woman who will be wearing them), that is a "not-to-be-missed"? It will have to be quick (takeout is even OK), as I'll have 2 dogs in the car (so safe parking for them is also a consideration).

Any kind of cuisine is OK (but a dodgy part of town is not). I'm spoiled by having lived in the Rhinebeck/Hyde Park area for years, with the gazillion foodplaces started by CIA grads.

Also, any recommendations for Bangor-and-environs food places will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#2 mbresadola

mbresadola
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:09 PM

Hi, Veil. This is a no brainer. Go to Duck Fat on Middle St. in Portland. Get the duck confit sandwich, the fries (they're fried in duck fat, thus the name) and a draft. Sit at an outside table and bring the doggies. After lunch, go diagonally across the street to Micucchio's-- not sure of spelling but you'll see it-- for some Italian delicacies which aren't easily found elsewhere. If time allows, trot a block up the street and visit the brewery store at Shipyard. It is an easy on/off from the highway. Use exit 7, Franklin St, and watch for the big brick church. Middle st. is next left.

#3 veil

veil
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:21 AM

Thanks!--just the kind of thing I was looking for. I looked at their menu online, and I'm already hungry....

#4 veil

veil
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:19 PM

Took your advice, and had exactly that. Except that the doggies couldn't join me, because the 2 patio tables were occupied, it was perfection! And Micucci's was great, too--got a loaf of focaccia, a bag of their 3-cheese ravioli, and a half-pound of dried wild mushrooms at a good price.

And had the Allagash White--extraordinary.

Edited by veil, 02 September 2011 - 04:24 PM.