Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

PLAN: "Heartland" Gathering (In Philly) 2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
305 replies to this topic

#271 Mummer

Mummer
  • participating member
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

Welcome to the gang, chefmd. We'll have some phoodie fun (that ph thing gets old) this weekend. Katie, I'm a +1 for Sunday.
Charlie, the Main Line Mummer
We must eat; we should eat well.

#272 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

And for those staying for Sunday Brunch, Headhouse Market is not far from Han's.
http://www.foodtrust.../headhouse.html

This is exciting...looking forward to seeing existing acquaintances and new.

BTW, Katie, thanks for all the hard word in pulling this together.

#273 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

OK. My apologies. I've been sick in bed with a viscous upper repiratory infection since Monday evening. Hoping not to miss any of the feastivities this weekend I've literally not left my bed since then. All are welcome, and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. Slight chqnge of plans. We'll be on our own for the Italian Market tour. The tour company called me back and suddenly had a minimum charge of $200 so I told them no thank you. Screw them and their bait and switch tactics. We can have just as much fun on our own, or perhaps try a different approach and get little nibbles all along the way.

Those of you arriving Thursday. Call me when you've checked in and we can meet up from there.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#274 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

Katieloeb, just to confirm that I can show up on Friday plus one at Zahav with cash and have dinner with you guys. Please tell me it's true:)

#275 Mummer

Mummer
  • participating member
  • 475 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

Not sure what's happening tonight, but the National Constitution Center has a really cheap ($5) admission & a similar add-on for the Springsteen exhibit after 5. I was there last week e& it's mighty fine. I'd not seen an Oscar b4. If you're a fan, the handwritten lyrics will blow your socks.

#276 Capaneus

Capaneus
  • participating member
  • 768 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

Katieloeb, just to confirm that I can show up on Friday plus one at Zahav with cash and have dinner with you guys. Please tell me it's true:)

I hope you can, because that's my plan as well. As far as I can tell, that's the only payment method as of now.

#277 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

I hope you can, because that's my plan as well. As far as I can tell, that's the only payment method as of now.

I'm sure it will be fine: if it turns out Katie's debit card won't work I can use credit and take the cash. We'll work something out.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#278 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

OK. My apologies. I've been sick in bed with a viscous upper repiratory infection since Monday evening. Hoping not to miss any of the feastivities this weekend I've literally not left my bed since then. All are welcome, and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. Slight chqnge of plans. We'll be on our own for the Italian Market tour. The tour company called me back and suddenly had a minimum charge of $200 so I told them no thank you. Screw them and their bait and switch tactics. We can have just as much fun on our own, or perhaps try a different approach and get little nibbles all along the way.

Those of you arriving Thursday. Call me when you've checked in and we can meet up from there.

Oh no! How will you taste all the delicious food that's coming up if you'll be hacking up a lung? I think you should take a long rest Friday afternoon instead of doing the tour. That way you'll be bright and peppy (and not-so-phlegmy) for the fantastic dinner you've organized at Zahav. That's way more important!

My +1 has indicated a desire to go to that Amish festival out wherever tomorrow. So if it doesn't rain, and she's still keen on it, we may hit the Italian Market in the morning and have an early lunch at Paesano's, then drive out to the boonies. Who knows what tomorrow will bring!

Rest, Katie, rest! And feel better soon!

#279 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

Here's a link to Iovine Brothers' Produce latest newsletter with availability and pricing:

http://bit.ly/O7dgwp

And here's a link to the latest Fair Food availability newsletter:

http://bit.ly/O7XHYn

For those planning to eat their way through the Reading Terminal Market, I've got a guide to munching there on my blog: http://robertsmarket...ing-at-rtm.html
Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

#280 philadining

philadining
  • participating member
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

I'm bummed that I'll have to be out of town on saturday and sunday, and be working during the day friday, but I'm looking forward to seeing you folks on Friday night for sure, and if anyone is in town thursday night (tonight) and looking for fun, get in touch with Katie, or even just post here, and we'll do our best to entertain you!

If you find yourself with time on your own, Holly posted an excellent list of Philly-centric destinations, I wouldn't dare challenge that list - oh wait - I WILL on one point! If you're in Philly doing a Philly food tour, don't spend calories and stomach space on the Shake Shack!!! It's good and all, but it's a NY import, and you know, it's a burger and fries! I might agree that one of their locally-themed "concretes" would be worth it, but then, you're diagonally across the corner from Capogiro, and you really ought to just be getting gelato or sorbetto over there!

If you really want a burger, go across the street to Village Whiskey, or maybe even skip the burger and get the duck fat fries covered in shreds of braised shortrib and beer-spiked cheddar cheese.

I'll also second CDH's recommendation of Rangoon in Chinatown. Burmese restaurants are few and far between and this is a good one.

We're also very strong in Vietnamese, with a big concentration of those places down in or near the Italian Market. We love the Pho and the Bun Bo Hue at Cafe Diem on 8th st near Washington Ave. Cafe Nuh Y near the corner of 8th and Christian has really good Banh Mi. Viet Hwong and Nam Phuong near 11th and Washington are good large-menu places.

If you're interested in Cambodian, or Indonsesian, or Lao... we can hook you up, just ask...

There's also lots of Mexican in the Italian Market. Taquitos de Puebla right on 9th Street does and outstanding Tacos al Pastor, but you can probably follow your nose, and do pretty well...

I wouldn't worry about not having the guided tour of the Italian Market, you can go just fine strolling along by yourself. Be sure to check out both Claudios and DiBruno's, although once you have, you may be forced to pledge allegiance to one or the other! Just wandering down 9th street will provide plenty of entertainment. While in that neighborhood, there are a couple of big Asian supermarkets, if you're interested in that kind of thing. There's one at 6th and Washington, and one in the plaza at 11th and Washington.

Edited by philadining, 09 August 2012 - 01:29 PM.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

#281 philadining

philadining
  • participating member
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

Oh right, and drinks! You can most often find eG folks lurking around Southwark, at 4th and Bainbridge, or the Franklin Mortgage and Investment Company on 18th, between Sansom and Chestnut, or at Village Whiskey at 20th and Sansom.

If you're up in Fairmont/Art Museum area, we'd be at Lemon Hill, or if you're a beer geek, Brigid's (especially for Belgians), or maybe London Grill. In Chinatown, there's Hop Sing Laundromat, if you're into the secret speakeasy thing, or The Trestle, if you like to drink cocktails accompanied by Go-Go dancers (no, not strippers, Go-Go dancers!)

If you're into beer, you'll do well almost anywhere in the city, but you might especially consider Brigid's, Monk's, Standard Tap, Khyber Pass Pub, and... you know, there are too many to list! Luckily, there's a great beer list almost anywhere you go. Into obscure Italian craft brews? go to Alla Spina. Belgians? Monks or Brigid's. Local beer? close your eyes, spin around, and walk into the first bar you see, you'll do fine.

Wine? There are several Tria wine bars with nice selections by the glass. a. kitchen has a very nice list. "Il bar" at Panorama in the Penn's View Hotel, has, like 100 bottles on-tap...

Want something in specific? just ask, we probably know a place!

philadining.com

#282 Capaneus

Capaneus
  • participating member
  • 768 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

Oh right, and drinks! You can most often find eG folks lurking around Southwark, at 4th and Bainbridge, or the Franklin Mortgage and Investment Company on 18th, between Sansom and Chestnut, or at Village Whiskey at 20th and Sansom.

If you're up in Fairmont/Art Museum area, we'd be at Lemon Hill, or if you're a beer geek, Brigid's (especially for Belgians), or maybe London Grill. In Chinatown, there's Hop Sing Laundromat, if you're into the secret speakeasy thing, or The Trestle, if you like to drink cocktails accompanied by Go-Go dancers (no, not strippers, Go-Go dancers!)

If you're into beer, you'll do well almost anywhere in the city, but you might especially consider Brigid's, Monk's, Standard Tap, Khyber Pass Pub, and... you know, there are too many to list! Luckily, there's a great beer list almost anywhere you go. Into obscure Italian craft brews? go to Alla Spina. Belgians? Monks or Brigid's. Local beer? close your eyes, spin around, and walk into the first bar you see, you'll do fine.

Wine? There are several Tria wine bars with nice selections by the glass. a. kitchen has a very nice list. "Il bar" at Panorama in the Penn's View Hotel, has, like 100 bottles on-tap...

Want something in specific? just ask, we probably know a place!

Are you coming into town? I'm working in can't-muck-about mode, but if you guys are planning on serious drinking after midnight, let me know, I could probably swing a nightcap...

#283 philadining

philadining
  • participating member
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

Oh, right, and Chinatown, which is right out behind the Reading Terminal Market, has more to offer than just Rangoon. Slightly unusual spots include: Dim Sum Garden, featuring Shanhhainese snacks, most importantly Shainghai Juicy Buns, or Xiao Long Bao, what we tend to call "soup dumplings." But all the dumpling-ish things are pretty great, as are most of the noodle dishes. Dim Sum Garden is right behind the RTM, on 10th St, near Arch, in a dismal-looking littel storefront, usually with a bus parked out in front of it.

Some former workers from Dim Sum Garden opened Sakura Mandarin at the corner of 11th and Race, and they have some of the same food, including Xiao Long Bao, and very good, unusual, scallion pancakes. They also have sushi, which I find weird, but I'm told it's actually pretty good... But I'd stick to the Shanghainese stuff.

There are also interesting soup dumplings, in a different style, at the unimpressive-looking "Chinatown Restaurant" on the corner of 10th and Arch, right under the big Chinatown arch. On the surface, this is a boring, Chinatown-cliche place, but ask for the Fuzhou menu, and you'll find lots of interesting things! The "steamed Shanghai buns" are smaller, but tasty... There are plenty of other interesting things on that traditional menu too, like Lychee Pork, stir-fried jellyfish, oyster pancakes, clams in Fu Chow sauce, etc..

Across 10th st, at Empress Garden, you can find Taiwanese specialties, like 3 Cup Chicken, and Beef Noodle Soup.

Also nearby on 10th is Penang, with very good Malaysian food. There's a spin-off called Banana Leaf on Arch street that's almost identical, except that they don't have a liquor license.

Sang Kee, at 9th near Vine, is very good for Peking Duck, and other roast meats, and noodle soups. Ting Wong on 10th near Race is good too, and M-Kee around the corner on Race isn't bad, if they haven't run out of everything.

Nan Zhou hand-drawn noodles on Race makes... come-on, you can guess... Lan Zhou on 10th does too, but I think Nan Zhou is a little better...

For fresh Cantonese seafood, Ken's Seafood at 1004 Race is our fave, but Tai Lake will fill the bill too. Both of those places are open late. If you want food REALLY late (especially excellent fried dumplings with ginger sauce) David's Mai Lai Wah is an after-hours tradition.

Four Rivers does good Sichuan, and some Shanghainese too, but you might just want to wait for sunday brunch at Han Dynasty!

Again, if you're looking for something in specific, just ask....

philadining.com

#284 philadining

philadining
  • participating member
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

Are you coming into town? I'm working in can't-muck-about mode, but if you guys are planning on serious drinking after midnight, let me know, I could probably swing a nightcap...

I plan to, so we'll give you an update! Ramos Gin Fizzes for everyone!

Edited by philadining, 09 August 2012 - 01:56 PM.

philadining.com

#285 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

All good food and drink recommendations but let me add another to the list.

If you are a fan of Bravo's Top Chef and would like to have season 7 winner Kevin Sbraga cook some of the dishes he prepared on the show, check out http://www.citypaper...-at-Sbraga.html . I believe it is $75 for 6 courses.

The regular pre-fixe is great and offer 4 courses for $49.

#286 philadining

philadining
  • participating member
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

Esquire just called Philly the "Late Night Capitol of the US" which seems odd to me, as much as I enjoy most of the places they listed. I guess I take it for granted that you can get something good to eat at midnight at a LOT of places in town. After 1 am, the pickings are slim...

I think it's largely due to our excellent "bars that serve good food"scene. Those places are more often referred to as "gastropubs" but that doesn't seem quite right, in that the majority of places in Philly are less expensive, and less fancy, than that term implies, especially in other cities. In Philly, it's usually a bar with a great beer selection, probably a few good wines by the glass, and maybe cocktails. The menu will be a step-up from typical wings-and-burgers bar food (although there may be wings, and burgers... but probably really good ones, not stuff just pulled from the freezer and dropped in the fryer!) There's probably a specials board, with a few things that lean a little more toward an upscale restaurant. The real defining characteristic is that there's a real kitchen, with chefs and cooks that are actually trying, not just banging out some salty snacks to keep the beer flowing. They hit a lot of them here:

http://www.esquire.c...e-night#slide-1

I'm especially partial to the Standard Tap, the Royal Tavern and the Khyber Pass Pub myself...

philadining.com

#287 philadining

philadining
  • participating member
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

Percy makes a good point: if you're in the mood for an upscale meal, Sbraga is a good choice.

FWIW, we've also been loving the food at Vernick lately if you just want a non-thematic, just plain great meal!

Also of potential interest: Vedge is an excellent vegetable-centered restaurant. It happens to be completley vegan (or "vegenough" as the owners put it) but that's almost secondary, the food is delicious. It might be tough to get a table on short notice, but you can usually find room at the bar, if nothing else.

I wish we had all of you here for about two weeks, we could put a better dent in our favorite places...

Edited by philadining, 09 August 2012 - 02:32 PM.

philadining.com

#288 Capaneus

Capaneus
  • participating member
  • 768 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

Second Vedge, which also has a really good wine list. How's this for geek cred: three La Clarine bottlings on the list, including a white available by the glass; a Pineau d'Aunis, also by the glass. And the list's sweet-spot is around $55-$60, which for Philly is practically free!

#289 cdh

cdh
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

Oh no! How will you taste all the delicious food that's coming up if you'll be hacking up a lung? I think you should take a long rest Friday afternoon instead of doing the tour. That way you'll be bright and peppy (and not-so-phlegmy) for the fantastic dinner you've organized at Zahav. That's way more important!

My +1 has indicated a desire to go to that Amish festival out wherever tomorrow. So if it doesn't rain, and she's still keen on it, we may hit the Italian Market in the morning and have an early lunch at Paesano's, then drive out to the boonies. Who knows what tomorrow will bring!

Rest, Katie, rest! And feel better soon!

The Goshenhoppens aren't Amish, but they are a more germanic brand of PA dutch... the Amish are all Swiss, after all... these are more Palatinates. You're not going to get black hats and buggys. Still a good and worthwhile event... ping me when you're going we can meet up... my dad wants to pick the brains of some of the historians who man booths there about some ancestors of ours who lived hereabouts in the 1730s.
Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

----- De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

#290 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

The report topic for this year's gathering can be found here.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#291 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

SATURDAY AT THE RTM

RTM confirmed that BYOB is not a problem for this after-hours event. (Not during the day when the market is open.)

Here's my count on attendees and, for those who have expressed a preference, what they'd like to make. Let me know if there are any additions, deletions or errors.

2 Prasantrin
1 Tokaris
1 Kerry Beal (apps, sweets [figs? mignardises?)
2 Chris Hennesy (pork shoulder)
1 Katie Loeb
1 Me (gazpacho)
2 Nolnacs (bread)
1 Mummer (beer)
2 (+2 kids) Andrew Fenton
1 Capaneous
2 Chefmd

That gives us a count of 16 adults and two little ones.

We can make decisions on the rest of the menu tomorrow morning immediately after our 9 a.m. tour of the market to scope out what's available. (If you don't plan to cook, you can still come to the tour - I hope to dispense lotsa market trivia.) We'll meet at the Piano Court seating area on the Arch Street side of the market, near Pennsylvania General Store, Golden Fish and Amy's Place. There will be a farmer selling his produce (Steve Bowes) at the Piano Court; good but very expensive organic; makes Whole Foods seem like a bargain.

The stone fruit I've had so far this season has been excellent. If there's anyone who can put together dessert with some with minimal kitchen time, can they do it? Perhaps a cobbler? Yes, a cobbler! We can get ice cream at Bassetts to go with it!

Regarding the food list above, one glaring omission seems to be appropriate accompaniments to the pork. One possibility might be cabbage. Depending on Chris' flavorings, cabbage is a natural: Iovine's today had the loveliest local Savoy cabbage I've seen in a while, and good-looking red cabbage, too. But there are lots of other seasonal greens availble that would work,including chard.

Any other pork accompaniment ideas? What would work, Chris?

Here's a photo of the savoy cabbage:

120810savoycabbage.jpg

Robert's Market Report

#292 Holly Moore

Holly Moore
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

A cautionary note for those out and about in Center City tomorrow. Welcome to Philadelphia.
Holly Moore
"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com
Twitter

#293 nolnacs

nolnacs
  • participating member
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

You can count me in for making some ice cream as well.

#294 Andrew Fenton

Andrew Fenton
  • participating member
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

As far as food for Sat goes: I smoked some homemade sausage yesterday along with some meatballs. I'll bring those along with baba ganoush (if we're not tired of it from Zahav) as appetizers while we're waiting for the rest of the meal.

#295 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

I'm going to use the pork to make enchiladas: a cabbage slaw of some kind would be an excellent accompaniment. Kerry and I also discussed a bunch of other dishes, so tomorrow morning we'll all meet and decide what needs to be filled in where.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#296 Mummer

Mummer
  • participating member
  • 475 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

Sorry, gang, I can't make tonight's dinner. Hoping to make the next 2. CAM

#297 cdh

cdh
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

Any thoughts of pre-game tastiness in the vicinity of Zahav, or are we just gathering there at 9:15?

#298 Andrew Fenton

Andrew Fenton
  • participating member
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

Chris, make a suggestion and I can probably get over there early. I'd be happy to meet up for a drink.

#299 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

Gazpacho, enchiladas...seems like we're taking a Latin approach.

MORE SATURDAY RTM DETAILS OF IMPORT

Because RTM management got scads of grief for evicting the Amish out of the kitchen at 3 pm today, they're letting them prep and sell pot pies there until 5ish. If they sell out sooner we can get access sooner.

The RTM closes to the public at 6 pm tomorrow. I recommend anyone cooking get there no later than 5, or if you want to take a chance on getting earlier access stop by anytime after 3 pm, when I plan to be there.

After 6 pm you can access the market via the door on Filbert Street (aka Harry Ochs Way) closest to 12th Street, right by Mueller's Chocolates.

Enjoy tonite at Zahav: it's a unique restaurant that I doubt is duplicated west of Tel Aviv. Eat some salat turki for me!

Robert's Market Report

#300 cdh

cdh
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

Chris, make a suggestion and I can probably get over there early. I'd be happy to meet up for a drink.

Hmm... Southwark should be within walking range of Zahav... If I set off shortly, I could get there before 8:30 (parking permitting). Other suggestions welcome... I'm not really sure what's worth visiting in that old-city-esque neighborhood now...