Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Nocino (Green Walnut Liqueur) & Vin de Noix

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#61 Wolfert

Wolfert
  • participating member
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:28 AM

It's good for poaching pears, too.

In the French southwest, vin de noix is used to flavor sauces for fish, game birds, and poultry.
“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

#62 tazerowe

tazerowe
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:53 PM

OK, I know very little about this stuff other than what I have read here, but I have a new house with a walnut tree, so I am intrigued. However, what kind of walnut are we talking about here? I have black walnuts, not English walnuts. Given that you don't see those around too much, I am guessing you are all using English? Anyone considered black? Any issues? I know black walnuts are somewhat toxic to other plants...

#63 MikeInSacto

MikeInSacto
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:39 PM

Anyone else making this right now? I just started my second annual batch yesterday. It's sitting in the back yard turning black as we speak.

Mike

#64 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:06 AM

A question regarding the bottling for the finished Vin, does it matter if the bottles are regular glass bottles or does it have to be some type of dark glass bottle (like a wine bottle)? I wouldn't think it matters, but thought to ask to be sure.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#65 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:33 AM

When I bought it in France it had been bottled into regular green glass wine bottles. Don't know if that's a necessity, though.

#66 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:05 PM

A question regarding the bottling for the finished Vin, does it matter if the bottles are regular glass bottles or does it have to be some type of dark glass bottle (like a wine bottle)? I wouldn't think it matters, but thought to ask to be sure.

Elie

View Post

Elie,

It's been posted on egullet before; but, I have found Gunther Anderson's Liqueur making web pages to have a wealth of information regarding proper techniques and storage.

http://www.guntheran...om/liqueurs.htm
---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#67 cdh

cdh
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:17 PM

I decided to experiment with these recipes this year, and since it is time to pick the walnuts, I just did so yesterday.

I have about two dozen halved little black walnuts presently sitting in about a pint of vodka... no change in color so far, so it doesn't look anything like motor oil yet. I figure that 2 dozen walnuts will be enough for a quart or so, judging by the recipes upwards in the thread.

At only 80 proof, the vodka seems suboptimal. Has anybody tried making this sort of thing with 151 proof rum as opposed to just plain vodka? Would the nutty herbal thing go with the rum flavor?

I live in a state that outlawed Everclear, and haven't noticed it in the neighboring states either, so that seems out of the question.
Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

----- De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

#68 MikeInSacto

MikeInSacto
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:50 PM

I decided to experiment with these recipes this year, and since it is time to pick the walnuts, I just did so yesterday.

I have about two dozen halved little black walnuts presently sitting in about a pint of vodka... no change in color so far, so it doesn't look anything like motor oil yet.  I figure that 2 dozen walnuts will be enough for a quart or so, judging by the recipes upwards in the thread. 

At only 80 proof, the vodka seems suboptimal.  Has anybody tried making this sort of thing with 151 proof rum as opposed to just plain vodka?  Would the nutty herbal thing go with the rum flavor? 

I live in a state that outlawed Everclear, and haven't noticed it in the neighboring states either, so that seems out of the question.

View Post

I found that vodka seemed to work really well when I made this last year. I made it according to one of Georgeann Brennan's recipes (posted above, I think) and after all was said and done, it tasted about right in terms of the alcohol level. I don't think there was any problem as far as extracting flavor from the walnuts, either.

Mike

#69 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:05 PM

So, it's almost walnut time. What recipes is everyone using? Me, I'm waiting for Lucy's!

#70 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:25 AM

So, it's almost walnut time.  What recipes is everyone using?  Me, I'm waiting for Lucy's!

View Post

My order from mount lassen has shipped and should arrive no later than Friday, so hopefully we will have Lucy's recipe by then. If not I'll go with the one I linked to upthread.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#71 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:40 AM

Dear, kind, Jim Dixon is shipping me some walnuts from his tree in Portland, because I can't make it down there in time for walnut perfection. Me too, I'm hoping for Lucy's recipe, but if not, I'll probably use the one you linked to.

#72 divina

divina
  • participating member
  • 712 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:47 AM

I am ready to make my nocino... thursday, Juen 24th, being the correct day in FLorence, St john the Baptist's day..

here is my recipe
using vodka, which is easier to find.

I actually use whole grain alcohol, which being stronger, extracts the essence faster!
Tradition is 40 days and 40 nights.. some religious thing...

But I find a month is fine, don't do 6 months as many say.
I age it after I have filtered it before drinking.

I also want to make the French Vin di Noix this year...
love the french addition of wine instead of the water...
I have made my own vermouth with quinine bark , bitter ornage rind , regular orange rind and other secret ingredients which I bought at the Pharmacy in Agen!

#73 divina

divina
  • participating member
  • 712 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:50 AM

My recipe is at the bottom of the page on the link.
I gave the vodka version... but actually use whole grain for mine.
I think it is faster and tastes better.

the whole grain extracts the flavor faster and doesn't impart any other flavor.

Friend from Naples actually age theirs in small barrels...

#74 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:28 AM

Woo! My nuts arrived from Mount Lassen today, after some UPS mixups yesterday. What a nice smell they have.

Looking forward to staining my fingers and cutting board tomorrow AM.

Erik
---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#75 MikeInSacto

MikeInSacto
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:49 PM

I am ready to make my nocino... thursday, Juen 24th, being the correct day in FLorence, St john the Baptist's day..

here is my recipe
using vodka, which is easier to find.

I actually use whole grain alcohol, which being stronger, extracts the essence faster!
Tradition is 40 days and 40 nights.. some religious thing...

But I find a month is fine, don't do 6 months as many say.
I age it after I have filtered it before drinking.

I also want to make the French Vin di Noix this year...
love the french addition of wine instead of the water...
I have made my own vermouth with quinine bark , bitter ornage rind , regular orange rind and other secret ingredients which I bought at the Pharmacy in Agen!

View Post

Nice to hear from someone in Italy! Your walnits certainly ripen much later than ours. If I were to make it now I'd have to smash the walnuts with a hammer rather than slice them with a knife.

Have you ever tried soaking the walnut pieces in sherry? That's a new one on me.

Mike

#76 olivina

olivina
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 07:04 PM

Here I go again. I just received 20 pounds of green from Mt. Lassen. Last year I got 2 pounds...
Ten times more nocino sounds alright to me!

#77 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 10:50 PM

I got the walnuts today in addition to some walnut leaves in the package. Both the Vin De Noix and the Nocino have been set up. I went by the recipe I linked to upthread and used a drinkable cheap red wine and brandy, added cloves, vanilla bean and walnut leaves. I tasted a little bit of the mixture for the vin and I know it is way early, but it tasted a little too sweet. How sweet should it be? Should I add any more wine to it maybe? Anyways, now it is resting for a couple of months :hmmm: and then we'll see. Here are some pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#78 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 10:57 PM

My first Nocino batch has just been mixed up. I used Artusi's recipe with grain alcohol (Everclear), crushed cinnamon and cloves. I will also probably add lemon peel in a few days. Forty days or so from now it should be ready and I will post more pics hopefully.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#79 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 10:59 PM

Here is a pic of both the Vin De Noix and Nocino:

Posted Image

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#80 MikeInSacto

MikeInSacto
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 02:45 PM

Here's what mine looks like. It's been in the jar since June 6.

Posted Image

Doesn't look like much - you can't see anything in there now.

I'm not sure how long I plan to leave it. I went 60 days last year and got a really excellent drink out of it.

Mike

#81 ScorchedPalate

ScorchedPalate
  • participating member
  • 858 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:50 PM

Just as I was lamenting that all this moving nonsense had distracted me from ordering green walnuts and making nocino this year, I found green walnuts this morning at the Alemany Farmer's Market! The farmer who was selling them had recipes for vin de noix and nocino taped to the box they were in.

So my first-ever batch is sitting on the window ledge now -- the sunniest spot in the apartment, 28 stories over downtown -- waiting for the end of the month when we will move into our new house and have a yard again... where it can steep properly in the sun.

Now I only hope it's half as good as the batch Olivina made last year. :)

~A
Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

#82 olivina

olivina
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:27 PM

I have 15 green walnuts left from my nocino extravaganza. The nuts have a few brownish spots and I regret not seeing the suggestion to keep them in the fridge. They don't smell rancid..what do you all think? Should I make a little vin de noix with them? Out of the million french recipes that Abra led us to, which one didn't someone make so I can report on another?

Goin' a little nutty,
Carla

#83 trillium

trillium
  • participating member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:03 PM

I don't think the brownish spots are a problem, as long as they still smell ok. If you don't want to make something alcoholic, peel the nuts and lightly pickle the nutmeats to eat with charcuterie.

regards,
trillium

#84 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:48 PM

Beautiful pictures, Elie. It is a dessert wine, so it should be sweet. I think the tannins in the walnuts will balance that out eventually, though.

#85 bleudauvergne

bleudauvergne
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:16 AM

I have got some nuts and will do something with them tonight.

#86 Wolfert

Wolfert
  • participating member
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:43 AM

I have 15 green walnuts left from my nocino extravaganza. The nuts have a few brownish spots and I regret not seeing the suggestion to keep them in the fridge. They don't smell rancid..what do you all think? Should I make a little vin de noix with them? 

When you cut up the walnuts to make the wine, just dump the blackish parts .
I
“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

#87 trillium

trillium
  • participating member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:55 AM

Beautiful pictures, Elie.  It is a dessert wine, so it should be sweet.  I think the tannins in the walnuts will balance that out eventually, though.

View Post

Dessert wine? Hmmm...I've only drunk it as an apéritif, it's a great match with something salty and briney, like anchovy or olive toasts. The tannins will kick in, and things taste less sweet when they're chilled. I like mine chilled and poured over a couple of ice cubes. All that aside, I usually cut back the sugar in ours because I like it more on the bitter side of bittersweet.

regards,
trillium

#88 olivina

olivina
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:10 AM

View Post

That sounds kind of funny.. :smile:

#89 bleudauvergne

bleudauvergne
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:23 AM

View Post

View Post

Oh la la. :laugh:

I had to special order them from a vendor at the market, you usually don't see these at the market here in Lyon.

OK I wear gloves, cut them up, put them in a large vessel with some eau de vie and some wine and some sugar and put it in a covered vessel the sun for a few months, stirring something like once a week?

#90 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:26 AM

View Post

View Post

Oh la la. :laugh:

I had to special order them from a vendor at the market, you usually don't see these at the market here in Lyon.

OK I wear gloves, cut them up, put them in a large vessel with some eau de vie and some wine and some sugar and put it in a covered vessel the sun for a few months, stirring something like once a week?

View Post

more or less...see the recipe I linked to upthread. I added a vanilla bean, cloves and walnut leaves.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog