Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Iced Tea Topic 2011

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 Snadra

Snadra
  • legacy participant
  • 564 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:53 AM

I've been making a fair bit office tea the last few weeks as things hot up. I like lemon in my ice tea and sometimes use my mother's trick of squeezing a lemon into the jug, then throwing in the lemon halves before pop urging over the hot tea, sugaring to taste. It is always cloudy this way, but very good. Her tea choice was always twinnings earl grey loose leaf.

Lady Grey (bags) makes a fragrant ice tea - I use ~10 bags to 2L of boiling water. My current favourite is a combo of Jasmine and Earl Grey (loose leaf) in a 1:3 ratio. Leaves topped with hot water in teapot, steep for 5-6 minutes. My teapot has an infuser so I don't bother with straining. I find 1/3 cup of sugar is perfect for 2L of tea. It doesn't really need lemon as the fragrance of the two teas combines really well.

I'm thinking of using the blackberries is picked up yesterday to infuse a tea - black oolong + blackberries?

#32 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,825 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

I came into some dead ripe intensely fragrant guavas recently - the ones with the yellow/orange peel and the pink/orange flesh. I scooped out the flesh and froze it flat in ziplock bags. Recent pitchers have been some of that guava flesh and a mix of black tea and a peach flavored tea. The fruitiness was just enough to detect and please. Happy to have more of the guava in the freezer.