Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What to do with Drambuie?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Deus Mortus

Deus Mortus
  • participating member
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

I enjoy myself a good rusty nail and so I usually have some Drambuie laying around, I occasionally use it while cooking in braises and stews, but I was wondering what drinks are good with it?
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."
-Winston Churchill

#2 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:35 PM

Neat, with a single ice cube. Anything else is an abuse of the Scotch Whiskey therein.
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#3 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:42 PM

In addition to Rusty Nails, I've enjoyed it in the Tabard. It seems to go remarkably well with tequila.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#4 Alcuin

Alcuin
  • participating member
  • 644 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

There's more to do with it than Rusty Nails or straight over ice. Here's my favorite, Dave Wondrich's (Splificator in these forums)

Gansevoort Fizz

2 oz medium bodied aged rum (Appleton V/X is suggested)
1 oz Drambuie
1 oz lemon juice
2 dashes Peychaud's

shake, strain into a chilled glass, top with 2 to 3 oz soda
nunc est bibendum...

#5 Deus Mortus

Deus Mortus
  • participating member
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

Neat, with a single ice cube. Anything else is an abuse of the Scotch Whiskey therein.

Well not to be a snob, but the whiskey in the stuff really isn't that great, I mean it isn't bad, if I wasn't so spoiled in the spirit's department by an inheritance of my late uncle, I might even say good, but not that great that you can't temper with it.

In addition to Rusty Nails, I've enjoyed it in the Tabard. It seems to go remarkably well with tequila.

That sounds pretty damn good, but I have a rule; no tequila, not only am I not a big fan of the taste, but once tequila hits the table, things generally end badly and while this may not be true in a cocktail. I do not have it in my house on that principle.

There's more to do with it than Rusty Nails or straight over ice. Here's my favorite, Dave Wondrich's (Splificator in these forums)

Gansevoort Fizz

1 oz Drambuie
1 oz lemon juice
2 dashes Peychaud's

That sounds really great, could I trade the Peychaud for Angostura, or is that crazy talk?
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."
-Winston Churchill

#6 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

I like a goodish splash in hot chocolate or coffee.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#7 Alcuin

Alcuin
  • participating member
  • 644 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

Well not to be a snob, but the whiskey in the stuff really isn't that great, I mean it isn't bad, if I wasn't so spoiled in the spirit's department by an inheritance of my late uncle, I might even say good, but not that great that you can't temper with it.

That sounds pretty damn good, but I have a rule; no tequila, not only am I not a big fan of the taste, but once tequila hits the table, things generally end badly and while this may not be true in a cocktail. I do not have it in my house on that principle.

Gansevoort Fizz

1 oz Drambuie
1 oz lemon juice
2 dashes Peychaud's

That sounds really great, could I trade the Peychaud for Angostura, or is that crazy talk?

I don't think I would-the two have very different characteristics. And besides, if you're into making even the occasional drink having Peychaud's around is a good thing. It's very unique and useful for things like Sazeracs, one of the wonders of the ancient cocktail world.
nunc est bibendum...

#8 Deus Mortus

Deus Mortus
  • participating member
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

I don't think I would-the two have very different characteristics. And besides, if you're into making even the occasional drink having Peychaud's around is a good thing. It's very unique and useful for things like Sazeracs, one of the wonders of the ancient cocktail world.

I don't disagree, but it's just 5 past midnight here and I thought I might give it a try, only to find myself without Peychaud's.

Edited by Deus Mortus, 06 June 2011 - 03:05 PM.

-Winston Churchill

#9 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

I don't disagree, but it's just 5 past midnight here and I thought I might give it a try, only to find myself without Peychaud's.

Isn't there a Peychaud's crisis-line you can call? :smile:
It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#10 Deus Mortus

Deus Mortus
  • participating member
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

Isn't there a Peychaud's crisis-line you can call? :smile:

Sadly no, need be I can get some crisis beer delivery, but sadly people keep talking about making sleep priority instead of serving my whims, quite egotistical if you ask me :wink:
-Winston Churchill

#11 Karri

Karri
  • participating member
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

What to do with Drambuie? Pour it down the drain and dispose of the bottle in an ecological manner. (heh!). No in all seriousness ever tried a mix of lemon juice, veterano, and drambuie? One of the best. Equal parts, stirred, served in a chilled glass.
The perfect vichyssoise is served hot and made with equal parts of butter to potato.

#12 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

Anything else is an abuse of the Scotch Whiskey therein.

"Whisky", please.

#13 evo-lution

evo-lution
  • participating member
  • 437 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:36 PM

Shameless self-promotion...

These original Drambuie cocktails created by Adam Elmegirab were the winning drinks in the regional heat as well as the national final for the Drambuie Cocktail Competition 2010.

B.F.G

40ml Drambuie
25ml Noilly Rouge
10ml Laphroaig 10 Year Old
4dashes Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Boker's Bitters

Method: Add all ingredients to mixing glass fill with cubed ice and strir for 15-20 seconds
Glass: Vintage cocktail
Garnish: Lemon zest
Ice: N/A
Image: http://img863.images...drambuiebfg.jpg

Fosbury Flip

1 Barspoon Caraway seeds
50ml Drambuie
25ml Bacardi 8 year old
1 whole egg, preferably free range.
2 Bittermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters
5ml Sugar syrup
Grind Hawaiian red lava salt
Grind black pepper

Method: Muddle caraway seeds in base of mixing glass, add liquor and steep for 2 minutes. Add all other ingredients and dry shake for 5 seconds. Fill with ice and shake for a further 10 seconds. Fine strain.
Glass: Goblet
Garnish: Fresh grated nutmeg
Ice: None

Image: http://img577.images...fosburyflip.jpg
Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

#14 Blether

Blether
  • participating member
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:45 PM

One shot each vodka, Drambuie, Cointreau; make into a long drink with 7-up.

Or, put it into chicken, ice cream or pancakes.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

#15 Make me a Cocktail

Make me a Cocktail
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:19 AM

There are quite a few recipes here:
http://makemeacockta...oadsearch/1533/
that use Drambuie.

The rusty screw sound like a great twist on the Rusty Nail although I haven't tried it myself.

#16 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

One that I like that has also been a hit when I've made it for friends is the Causeway:

2 oz Irish whiskey
1 oz Drambuie
1/4 oz lemon juice
4 dashes Angostura bitters
2 dashes orange bitters
Top up with Ginger ale

Drambuie really should be employed much more than it is. I don't think it's nearly as problematic as working with Scotch in cocktails.

Edited by brinza, 10 June 2011 - 12:53 PM.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#17 Mark Muller

Mark Muller
  • participating member
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:39 AM

I like to mix about 2 parts rye whiskey and 1 part drambuie, usually over ice in lowball.

#18 Deus Mortus

Deus Mortus
  • participating member
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:03 AM

I like to mix about 2 parts rye whiskey and 1 part drambuie, usually over ice in lowball.

If you want a real rusty nail, you'll need to use scotch! Still I can't seem to get my hands on any quality rye whiskey, the few times I do find it, it might as well have been labeled "Hobo Juice".
-Winston Churchill

#19 Mark Muller

Mark Muller
  • participating member
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

If you want a real rusty nail, you'll need to use scotch! Still I can't seem to get my hands on any quality rye whiskey, the few times I do find it, it might as well have been labeled "Hobo Juice".

I would never claim rye + drambuie is a rusty nail. But I like to experiment, and I had rye in the cabinet, so I tried it and I liked it. In fact, I like it better than a rusty nail. The spice of the rye is a nice contrast to the drambuie. You can even make it more like an old fashioned - rye plus a splash of drambuie plus some bitters.

#20 Deus Mortus

Deus Mortus
  • participating member
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

I would never claim rye + drambuie is a rusty nail. But I like to experiment, and I had rye in the cabinet, so I tried it and I liked it. In fact, I like it better than a rusty nail. The spice of the rye is a nice contrast to the drambuie. You can even make it more like an old fashioned - rye plus a splash of drambuie plus some bitters.

Again I have no way to get my hands on rye, so using simple logic, I can tell you it is horrible, I have no way of making, ie. no way of enjoying it and seeing how I am obviously the center of my own personal little universe, there being something I can't enjoy, means it is horrible as I am the standard for all things good and just.
The only way that could be good if I wasn't the center of the universe and that's just crazy talk! <_<

Edited by Deus Mortus, 11 June 2011 - 09:03 AM.

-Winston Churchill

#21 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:58 PM

I like the Curse of Scotland...

3/4 oz Islay single malt
3/4 oz Drambuie
3/4 oz Maraschino
3/4 oz lemon juice

shake with ice, strain.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#22 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:23 PM

I like the Curse of Scotland...

3/4 oz Islay single malt
3/4 oz Drambuie
3/4 oz Maraschino
3/4 oz lemon juice

shake with ice, strain.

Tri2, I made this last night. Absolutely wonderful. Thanks for posting it. I went scant (probably closer to 1/2 oz) on the Maraschino, and it was perfect. I've never encountered this recipe. Where did you find it?
Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#23 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:35 PM

I found it on the Cocktail Virgin Slut blog. It's attributed to the Cocktail Collective book. I think I'll try the next one with your slight modification.

Edited by Tri2Cook, 18 June 2011 - 05:38 PM.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#24 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

Another option is the Rembrandt.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#25 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 992 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

Nice find. Here's the reference to Cocktail Virgin Slut for the attribution.

Damn, I think this is going to tip me over the edge to buying Drambuie.
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#26 Deus Mortus

Deus Mortus
  • participating member
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:01 PM

I just tried the rembrandt, living in Holland I already had the bottle of jenever on standby for visitors (not a big fan of the stuff myself, at least not straight), I have to say it's pretty interesting, I quickly infused the raisin and Drambuie with a quick vacuum hack (a one way valve, a bit of gum and my vacuum) and I have to say, it's pretty cool. Not sure whether I would add it to my list of regular drinks, but it was very nice none the less.

Seeing the virgin slut is making me seriously want to buy some maraschino, though I have no clue what kind is any good.
-Winston Churchill

#27 Frederic

Frederic
  • participating member
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:50 AM

A pair from the blog:

Supernova
1 oz Gin (Death's Door)
1 oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
1/2 oz Drambuie
2 dash Angostura Bitters
Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.
Created by Anu Apte of Rob Roy. The Drambuie adds some whiskey notes to the mix and turns regular gins into something more akin to Ransom's Old Tom. Very similar to the Flora's Own aperitif from the 1937 Cafe Royal Cocktail Book.

Madelaine Cocktail
1 oz Light Rum
1 oz Drambuie
Juice of 1/2 Lime (1/2 oz)
Juice of 1/2 Lemon (1/2 oz)
Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. I added a lemon twist to the recipe.
A classic from the 1947 Trader Vic. Drambuie both as a (partial) base and sweetener.

#28 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

I recently inherited a bottle of Drambuie and decided to look it up in the Bartender's Choice app. I used it last night to make a McKinnon: white rum, Drambuie, lime juice, lemon juice. This version was served up (I've seen it served tall as well with club soda).

Posted Image

I was pleasantly surprised; it was crisp and very good. The scotch base of the Drambuie did not clash at all with the white rum.
I am glad to see lots of other suggestions on this thread because it is not a liqueur I was familiar with.

#29 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

Nice, I'll have to check that out. If you have some sherry, do try a Tabard.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#30 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

If you like Scotch, there's always a Rusty Nail to be considered. Sorry, no proportions, it's scotch and Drambuie, served on the rocks or just served up.
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"