Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Niu Rou Juan Bing aka Chinese Beef Roll

Chinese

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheTInCook

TheTInCook
  • participating member
  • 268 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:29 PM

I'm thinking of tackling this this week, but I need some pointers or additional information.

The meat: is that just red cooked beef or is it something else. From my long ago visit to Sam Woo BBQ, my local sui mei place, I think they listed something as 'soy sauce beef' I'm guessing it's like soy sauce chicken? Also I'm thinking of breaking with tradition with char sui or thit nuong since I have some suitable pork in the freezer I want to use and to try those recipes.

The bread: Not sure what type they are using. It seems to have more structure then a tortilla, so I'm thinking it's something like a cong you bing with out the onions or something like a shaobing, but on a griddle. Any thoughts?

Reference http://christine-wei...otsticker-gyoza

and at

http://thetincook.bl...-juan-bing.html

NB Reposted after fixing image copywrite problem- TTC

#2 Will

Will
  • participating member
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:56 PM

I think there is green onion in one of your source images; in either event, pretty sure it is cong you bing in some renditions. In others, it might be essentially what you say - a cong you bing minus the cong. It's definitely a flaky pancake. You could probably find something similar in the freezer section of the Asian market if you don't want to make it from scratch.

I don't think it's hong shao beef - I don't eat / cook meat, so not sure what it is, though.

#3 annachan

annachan
  • participating member
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:04 PM

I believe I've had version with lu shui beef.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chinese