Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Sauce and Cooking Techniques for Chicken Feet

Chinese

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

The GF and I are going to Dim Sum tomorrow, and in the course of talking about it she mentioned that she loves chicken feet and the sauce that they often come with. I'd like to try making them for her as I can easily get the feet and any ingredients, and it would be neat to try making something so different. So, any suggestions on how to cook the feet and ideas for a sauce? Thanks!

.... Shel

#2 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:22 AM

Cleaned, deep-fried, then slow braise with fermented black beans, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and chopped chilis. Or use a "master sauce" - lo sui.
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#3 budrichard

budrichard
  • participating member
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:23 AM

Google 'Golden Phoenix Claws' and be sure to cut off the toenails, use the maltose and double cook. Not hard to do and you can tailor the heat if you want any-Dick

#4 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:13 PM

Hello- Every recipe I find, requires the feet to be deep-fried. I understand why this is necessary, but I do not have a deep fryer.  Must I buy one just for this? Or, is there another way?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

#5 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:27 PM

I"ve never seen a deep-fryer in China. We deep fry in our woks. So do restaurants.
  • Naftal likes this

#6 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:40 AM

• Deryn likes this
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#7 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:26 AM

I"ve never seen a deep-fryer in China. We deep fry in our woks. So do restaurants.

liuzhou-Interesting! How would you braise, or slow-cook?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

#8 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:03 PM

liuzhou-Interesting! How would you braise, or slow-cook?

Braising is also done in the wok, or in clay pots, stove top. It isn't that common a technique in China, although there are some dishes. Slow cooking is not a Chinese tradition.

I do have a toaster oven which I sometimes use for braising/slow cooking, but I don't know anyone else who has one.

#9 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:09 PM

Braising is also done in the wok, or in clay pots, stove top. It isn't that common a technique in China, although there are some dishes. Slow cooking is not a Chinese tradition.

I do have a toaster oven which I sometimes use for braising/slow cooking, but I don't know anyone else who has one.

liuzhou- I guess it comes down to these two questions: 1)Would you braise chicken feet/phoenix claws?

2) If so, how?

#10 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:10 AM

liuzhou- I guess it comes down to these two questions: 1)Would you braise chicken feet/phoenix claws?

2) If so, how?

No, I would do what most people here do and buy them pre-prepared. Almost every supermarket and general market has them. They don't seem to be something people make at home. Some places sell the uncooked feet. I only buy those for stock making. None of my friends or acquaintances prepares them at home, so far as I know. It is cheaper and more convenient to buy them pre-prepared.

cf.jpg

Chicken feet in my local supermarket

df.jpg

Duck feet.

Edited by liuzhou, 10 February 2015 - 12:13 AM.

• Smithy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chinese