Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Worst cooking show ever

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#241 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:31 AM

Unfortunately, he's a total douchebag.

What makes Guy Fieri a douchebag? I see Flay and Conant more as douchebags

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#242 IowaDee

IowaDee
  • participating member
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

I don't dislike him but what I dislike very much about his triple D show are the close ups of him shoving food into his face.

I have no desire to count his fillings for examine his tonsils at close range.

#243 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:00 PM

What makes Guy Fieri a douchebag? I see Flay and Conant more as douchebags

Hair, glasses, bling. But he's a friendly douche and has grown on me.

Conant, no question, has a level of douchery that far surpasses Fieri. Conant is a more of a prick though.

Flay? No douche. A NYC smartass who's very good at what he does.

#244 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:20 PM

Conant, no question, has a level of douchery that far surpasses Fieri. Conant is a more of a prick though.

Gfweb? the hair and glasses, IMO, makes him a 1980s "dude"...I wanna see his yearbook pics...

Flay treated that other bbq grill guy (cant recall his name) on their show like crap... I see douche there.

HAHA, Guy Fieris yearbook pics http://www.youjustma...ist.com/?p=4106

• scubadoo97 likes this
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#245 PattyO

PattyO
  • participating member
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

I live in a very small town in central MA and one of my favorite places to eat is Charlie's Diner in a neighboring town.  It's owned by a father and son and features a classic New England dining car with a modern addition.  It has a diner menu and a more eclectic menu which is available in either area.  The food (and the prices) are great.

Guy featured Charlie's on DDD and we were there about a month after it aired.  I, too, enjoyed that show until I spoke with the son and he told be what a douche Guy was during the shoot.  Though he was thrilled, initially, that his place was featured on a national television show, he told me that Guy's attitude and the way he treated the staff at the diner took that pleasure away.  His anger and disappointment was palpable.

I haven't watched the show since.

Edited by PattyO, 25 October 2014 - 04:50 PM.

#246 Bill Klapp

Bill Klapp
  • participating member
  • 849 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:11 AM

Unfortunately, Mary Ann Esposito, or shall I say mary ANN esPOSito, is still on in the LA basin, and apparently still producing new shows.....forever, I'm afraid. She's already been on since dirt was young, and shows no signs of going gently into that good night.....

The show is "Ciao Italia" and it is dreadful, miserable, painful to watch. Did I mention it makes me twitch when I hear her voice....which is like the voice of your least favorite elementary school teacher. The one who treated you like a blithering idiot, even though you could understand the periodic tables in 3rd grade? THAT teacher.

She comes on in the middle, the dead, smack middle of the block of cooking shows one of the local PBS stations in SoCal programs on Saturday afternoons. After the Martha show and before Lidia. Although I program my TV for the whole block, I walk the dogs while mary ANN esPOSito is....on....the....tele.....vis....ion.

She is like fingernails dragging on a chalkboard to me, and her recipes suck. Plus, she's got helmet hair. She may not be the worst, I've not seen a lot of the ones who have been mentioned (and I rule Sandra Lee out as NOT being a cooking show, so she doesn't qualify....), but mary ANN esPOSito is right up there in the most annoying.

Never seen the show, so this is not meant as a defense of the woman in any way, but "esPOSito" is how the name is pronounced in Italian. It is all of those hockey-playing Ess-po-see-toes who do not know how to pronounce their own names! :)
Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

#247 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:27 AM

I live in a very small town in central MA and one of my favorite places to eat is Charlie's Diner in a neighboring town.  It's owned by a father and son and features a classic New England dining car with a modern addition.  It has a diner menu and a more eclectic menu which is available in either area.  The food (and the prices) are great.

Guy featured Charlie's on DDD and we were there about a month after it aired.  I, too, enjoyed that show until I spoke with the son and he told be what a douche Guy was during the shoot.  Though he was thrilled, initially, that his place was featured on a national television show, he told me that Guy's attitude and the way he treated the staff at the diner took that pleasure away.  His anger and disappointment was palpable.

I haven't watched the show since.

Okay, see this is what I wanna hear. I never heard a single bad thing about him so I just didnt understand the douche comments. But if hes treating people like crap that is douchey.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#248 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 534 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:43 AM

Guy Frerrari or Fietti, was nice when i met him in airport right as Diners Drive Ins and Dives was about to air.  He had just won the reality show that I didn't watch.. But, we were in an airport going to the same place and he was really friendly and we were just talking.. He was super excited about the show coming out.  I have watched the show and it's like a mindless travel show.  Some of the food looks great, some of the food looks horrific.. He is a little hammy but,  whatever.  He like most people have their idiosyncrasies, some get on my nerves. His obsession with real cracked pepper, or his freaking whistling.  But, i like getting a look into kitchens all around the country.  

What's really strange is there is a group of men who have adopted his style.. There are people that dress like him, frost their hair like him, spike their hair like him and have a similar goatee.  That's just crazy. 

• GlorifiedRice and gfweb like this

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

#249 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,548 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:05 AM

As one who may have been the first to call GF a douche, right here on eG...both Conant and Bobby would cook circles around Guy.  I don't think there's any disputing that fact.  Each has worked their way up in the industry to run 3 star kitchens in NYC...'nuff said.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#250 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:18 AM

when bobby flay actually 'cooks' BBQ on one of his many BBQ actually cooking shows, I watch and I learn.

he is an expert on all those interesting "sides"

so he's from NYC, you have to be a little push-ey in NYC or you will always be at the end of the line.

#251 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:35 AM

Okay, see this is what I wanna hear. I never heard a single bad thing about him so I just didnt understand the douche comments. But if hes treating people like crap that is douchey.

He's been in our area featuring dining joints twice.  According to the newspaper articles about the process, he was a lot of fun to meet and work with.  Granted, the owners might not have been forthright in their interviews if they'd hated him, but I doubt they would have been so effusive in their praise if he'd behaved badly.  

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#252 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 534 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:56 AM

Flay, seems like a nice enough guy to me.. i don't see the rudeness or cocky attitude people complain about..  Being a New Yorker maybe, i have a higher threshold.. My problem with Flay is, his shows are good, his plates on Iron Chef looked awesome.. i just don't like the food @ his restaurants. 

• gfweb likes this

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

#253 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:14 AM

Flay, seems like a nice enough guy to me.. .. i just don't like the food @ his restaurants. 

Good point. All of the meals I've had at his NYC places have been too sweet and a little too salty. And I'm a guy who salts my own stuff generously and doesn't mind a little sugar in a sauce.

I don't see him as rude either, he's just an amped-up New Yorker. Of all the people we are discussing, Flay is the one I'd be happy to have a beer with. And maybe Fieri.

#254 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:27 PM

I only like DDD, I dont watch GFs other shows.

I am 100% certain Flay and Conant are better chefs than GF. but I still am saddened by how Bobby treated Jack McDavid on Grillin and Chillin', I think it was his treatment of Jack that started the whispers of Bobby being a prick.

As for Scott Conant, if a person served Scott a perfectly cooked Cincinnati Five Way Chili on Chopped, Scott would take off points for the raw onions, even though they are an integral part of the dish  hed take off points for personal preference of hating raw onions! Thats wrong IMO.

Edited by GlorifiedRice, 26 October 2014 - 12:28 PM.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#255 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:36 AM

Really?  Guy Fieri is a trained chef?  Hard to believe.

#256 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:29 AM

Really?  Guy Fieri is a trained chef?  Hard to believe.

Apparently, yes. He studied in France ...who knew?

http://www.biography...688753#synopsis

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#257 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

Hmmm... "He studied in France" could mean he attended two classes before he was thrown out.  It doesn't really say that he has any credentials.  I'd like to see proof before I could believe it.  But that's just because I think he's an arrogant, smart-ass douchebag.

#258 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 534 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:10 PM

Being a trained chef could mean, he was trained as a chef. That does not mean he is any good at being a chef. Just because you went to a school, does not mean you learned anything, just because you learned soemthing doesn't mean you can apply it. One of the funniest memories I have had being a caterer these last 10 years has been cooking a dinner to celebrate this room full of people who graduated a cooking school. Having no formal training myself, it just made clear the significance of going to cooking school.

All that being said, I don't think it would change my opinion of him either way, if I learned he was top of his class at the Le Cordon Blue. He would still be a grown man who spends too much time spiking his hair and dyeing his facial hair. And any cooking show he is affiliated with would still have recipes being fed to him by a committee of people. Guy is a celebrity Chef who is more heavy on the celebrity side than the chef said. He is not a chef who is celebrity, he is a celebrity who is a chef.
  • gfweb likes this