Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Worst cooking show ever

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#211 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

I love Master chef UK  but here in Sweden they yet again  do the american version for the Swedish market and it just clash with the Swedish mindset. I hate it, the judges are rude, annoying and un Swedishly in your face.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you,  But blue mold will kill me.

#212 suet

suet
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

Masterchef UK and Masterchef: The Professionals are both stellar shows.  Love the emphasis on cooking, love the seriousness of the amateurs, and love the challenges (mystery box, skills test, invention test, etc.).  Masterchef USA is nothing like the original format.  In general, the US-based shows all have too much emphasis on the competitive aspect of the show (earning ways to screw everyone else, lots of contestant conflict) whereas the original UK shows focus on the food.  The contestants rarely have a bad word for each other, and there's none of the "twists" which so often cause conflict and backstabbing.

Basically, the UK food shows almost universally beat the US versions.  And I say this as a Canadian. :raz:

• David Ross and gfweb like this

#213 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 822 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:06 PM

I love the British shows, but they do have their weird people too.  Oh you have to see Posh Nosh, it is  parody of cooking shows and it makes me laugh!

Am I the only one who  doesnt like Martha Stewart ?  Every time she say cheap or affordable is   expensive. 

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you,  But blue mold will kill me.

#214 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:37 AM

I love the British shows, but they do have their weird people too.  Oh you have to see Posh Nosh, it is  parody of cooking shows and it makes me laugh!

Am I the only one who  doesnt like Martha Stewart ?  Every time she say cheap or affordable is   expensive. 

Martha gives me the willies. She's got a baking show on now in our area, but she can't measure worth squat, yet she talks about how important it is to measure properly. If she really felt that way, she would tell us all to buy a scale, and show us how to use it.

MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#215 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:54 AM

Martha is a businesswoman, not a chef.  I bought one of her cookbooks about 20 years ago and ended up giving it away.

I also love the Brit shows.  There was one, "Come Dine With Me" that was hilarious.  It pitched together four random strangers they took turns cooking in their homes for the others.  There was one with an Indian woman who brought her own chilli sauce with her and doused all her meals with it before she tasted the food.  One had a vicar who cooked a meal at the rectory.  Another a woman of some means who lived in a castle.  Others lived in row houses, on farms, &c.  I liked it not so much for the cooking---although that was interesting---but for the character studies.  The voiceover was overly dramatic and you knew the whole show was a gag. 

Sometimes literally. 

#216 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 822 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

annabelle:  Well British shows tend to have  what you would call overly dramatic voiceover, it their way of being funny.  You should see some of their building shows, can be a real hoot.  I love come dine with me.

• annabelle likes this

#217 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,447 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

Martha is a businesswoman, not a chef.  I bought one of her cookbooks about 20 years ago and ended up giving it away.

I also love the Brit shows.  There was one, "Come Dine With Me" that was hilarious.  It pitched together four random strangers they took turns cooking in their homes for the others.  There was one with an Indian woman who brought her own chilli sauce with her and doused all her meals with it before she tasted the food.  One had a vicar who cooked a meal at the rectory.  Another a woman of some means who lived in a castle.  Others lived in row houses, on farms, &c.  I liked it not so much for the cooking---although that was interesting---but for the character studies.  The voiceover was overly dramatic and you knew the whole show was a gag. 

Sometimes literally. 

I loved that, too.  The series I saw was filmed in Canada, I think.  Some of the evenings did seem pretty ghastly.  As I recall, several of the hosts thought that it would give them a big edge if they provided some sort of special entertainment presented by themselves - like a bad cello (was it?) performance by the host that lasted half the night.  It was particularly enjoyable when a smug, conceited host lost.  And, although I get that not everybody is as familiar with Mexican/Spanish names as folks such as I that live in the US Southwest, I found it particularly grating to have one hostess go on and on about her special "OX-ican" meal, complete with OX-ican cheese, recipes, etc.  The mispronunciation all by itself would not have been so grating, but she had a rather superior and condescending tone in her voice as she explained all about it to her "ignorant" guests.  I couldn't help but think that if I were trying something new, and I had planned a little lecture on the subject, I think I'd make an effort to learn how to correctly say the name. 

Edited by Jaymes, 02 July 2014 - 11:14 AM.

• annabelle likes this
"And you, you're just a stinker."

#218 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,447 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

Did anyone see that cooking show hosted by the biker chick?  I thought that one was pretty awful.

But the one I hate most is Hell's Kitchen.  Hell, indeed.  I can't stand the language, the vulgarity, the brutality, the screaming, the hollering, the pillorying, the humiliation of one another.  Hell indeed.  So why would I intentionally want to put myself in Hell?  Turns out, I don't.

• Kim Shook and annabelle like this

#219 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

Hell's Kitchen is awful.  I watched one season of it and tried to watch another and thought "Why am I watching this crap?"  You can't even root for the contestants since they are so detestable.  Smoking, boozing, cursing, physically fighting.  Who needs that?

• Jaymes likes this

#220 suet

suet
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

"Come Dine with Me" is great!  I didn't like the Canadian version at first, but warmed to it after a while....once the commentator stopped trying to be *exactly* like the British guy (who is hilarious) it got a lot better.  My favorite was Cathy, who was so bad she made it to the "Redemption" special with 4 other horrible cooks.  Girl got drunk prepping her food, and would up pulling her container of heavy cream out of the trash before whipping it up to serve with dessert. :blink: Also was entertained by that blonde magician with the big mohawk (Dylan?) who had his worm composter in the kitchen.....

I grew up watching Natalie Dupree and Joanna Lund in amongst all the greater PBS food programs, so have a special place in my heart for the trainwrecks.

• annabelle likes this

#221 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

Ha!  I always loved how Natalie Dupree got flour everywhere when ever she baked anything.

She reminds me of me.

#222 Arey

Arey
  • participating member
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

There ought to be a sub category of this thread titled "the Worse Kitchen Equipment and Books Commercials".  I'd like to nominate the commercial for Dump Cakes Dump Dinners and the Green pan" all available for $10.00. For one dump dinner therecipe calls for putting some ground beef (unbrowned) into the pan, throwing in some pasta, pouring  a bottle of tomato sauce over it , sprinkling on some cheese, and baking it for a dinner your family will love.  These dump(ster) recipes make Sandra Lee look good.  I think  the purchasers of these books should be  working wives who come home  and have to cook dinner for a husband who's already half-way through his first six-pack and sullen teenagers who don't lift a finger to help. After all, who could blame them for buying these books and subjecting their family to the recipes in them?

• Kim Shook likes this
"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

#223 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,447 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

"Come Dine with Me" is great!  I didn't like the Canadian version at first, but warmed to it after a while....once the commentator stopped trying to be *exactly* like the British guy (who is hilarious) it got a lot better.  My favorite was Cathy, who was so bad she made it to the "Redemption" special with 4 other horrible cooks.  Girl got drunk prepping her food, and would up pulling her container of heavy cream out of the trash before whipping it up to serve with dessert. :blink: Also was entertained by that blonde magician with the big mohawk (Dylan?) who had his worm composter in the kitchen.....

And who was the woman that invited a bunch of lively dancing party guests to jazz up the evening? 

Seemed a little odd, but hey....

Everybody on that show seemed a little odd.

#224 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 822 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

I just watched through a Swedish show... gha...  the person uses  a " dialect"   that consist of  English words to sound "cool" and made up words, yeah this the Swedish spoken in our Capitol. *facepalm*

Even better it is subtitled in correct Swedish.   Anyway wouldnt be so bad  if he wasnt trying to get people to eat a very poisonous plant, he uses the directly translated  word for spring onions , vårlök, how ever this in Sweden is a  plant  that gives liver damage  and  spring onion is   salladslök  (salad onion). It been 20 years of the miss translation and people ending up in hospital due to eating the wrong plant.

#225 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

Oh and why doesnt Christina Pierello (sp?) "Christina Cooks" have all her spices premeasured out instead of little bowls of things, like cinnamon that she tap, tap, taps into the big bowl?

Why does she use those awkward wooden spoons?  Why cant she just dump the bowl of walnuts into the big bowl instead of spooning them in?

And why must we listen to that guitar playing lounge singer?

• rotuts likes this
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#226 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:24 AM

I've come to the decision to boycott any cooking show that is a timed competition. There are far too many of them and now the Food Network has kids competing, too. I think that's pushing it. It certainly teaches the wrong thing.

Good food shouldn't be a race to the finish line.

• demiglace, IowaDee, GlorifiedRice and 3 others like this

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#227 CeeCee

CeeCee
  • participating member
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:12 PM

If someone aims to be a professional, you should be able to handle deadlines. But I agree, way too much emphasize on speed while we have so many other dishes missing out, just because they don't fit in the schedule.

Masterchef is being mentioned a lot, I love the UK versions. I dislike the USA version and now even Australia's is putting me off. I almost wish that the Ozzies would try a bit of USA's rudeness to counteract all the mushy emo talk and tears, because it has seriously gotten out of hand in season 6 imho. 

• gfweb likes this

#228 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:47 PM

I've never seen The Chew, but I did catch about 30 seconds of The Kitchen. I thought it was a spoof, then realized it wasn't. That's when I hit the remote.

I hesitate to post this but omg (like a teen) todays "The Chew" was very interesting!

Giada came on and well she fell on her knees in front of Mario Batalli to praise him.

:blush:

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#229 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:12 PM

I hesitate to post this but omg (like a teen) todays "The Chew" was very interesting!

Giada came on and well she fell on her knees in front of Mario Batalli to praise him.

:blush:

As she should.

But Batali needs a good flogging himself just to keep him from from being so FOS. Any Paltrow contact must be offset by 20 lashes

• Shelby likes this

#230 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:36 AM

MB seems to have 'lost his way' after the Molto series, which was superb.  he might be under the spell of that Bastianich dude.

Mommy didn't stir the pot enough making that stew.

• pastrygirl and gfweb like this

#231 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:17 AM

As she should.

But Batali needs a good flogging himself just to keep him from from being so FOS. Any Paltrow contact must be offset by 20 lashes

gfweb? She was too giggly

Screenshot

http://i.imgur.com/fPG1ilD.jpg

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#232 Arey

Arey
  • participating member
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

I tend to get impatient with Americas Test Kitchen gadget guru.  One gadget she criticized for being too difficult to clean. I'm sitting there thinking "It's not hard to clean if you unscrew the top and take it off, yuh ninny".  Another time she described a utensil as totally useless.  I have three of those totally useless items in my utensil drawer and use them regularly. I've given up watching the Food network, and the Cooking channel.  I'm too old for those shows.  I'm in my 70's and those shows just make me miss Julia, and Joyce and the young Martin Yan.  I don't miss the galloping one or the frugal one, although I did use to watch them.  I may be the last person on earth who remembers Florence Hansford, and her cooking show from the GE kitchen sponsored by Phila Electric. She always wore a little pillbox hat while cooking, but must have taken off her daytime length white kid gloves before starting the show.

Edited by Arey, 17 October 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#233 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

I remember Flo Hansford. Watched her as a kid. All electric kitchen. Modern.

Chef Tell Erhardt was the next Philly guy who made an impression. Good on tv and a genuinely nice guy in his restaurant.

#234 Arey

Arey
  • participating member
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:14 AM

I found a segment from the "Television Kitchen " show from 1956 on YouTube.  I don't know where I got the memory of her in a pill box hat.  Maybe because she was so very proper, and calm and relaxed in the kitchen.  She even seemed to enjoy cooking.  Maybe she's the one who planted in my teenage mind the idea that cooking could be a pleasure even fun, not just one more tiresome chore to be gotten out of the way.

• gfweb likes this

#235 btbyrd

btbyrd
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:15 PM

Pretty much the only thing I watch anymore is Iron Chef America. I also watch Chopped sometimes when there's nothing else on... and really enjoyed the one season of Masterchef Junior. Pretty much everything else (that's not on PBS) is either overproduced garbage that doesn't actually focus on food (e.g. Hell's Kitchen) or consists of advice for overworked housewives on how to get 3 dishes on the table in 20 minutes for $2 a portion. How did we get from Julia Child to this?

Sometimes shows suffer from a bad concept or bad production. At other times they suffer from the insufferable host. The worst offenders in my book:

Anything with Guy Fieri

Anything focusing on cupcakes, bakeoffs, or sculpting sugar and marzipan

Anything with "Wars" in the title

Cutthroat Kitchen (Alton, what has become of you?)

The Kitchen (It's like Kathy Lee, Hoda, and Geoffrey Zakarian)

Nadia G's Bitchin' Kitchen

Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee

Restaurant Stakeout (not technically a cooking show, but it takes up a timeslot that should be occupied by a cooking show)

• takadi likes this

#236 chileheadmike

chileheadmike
  • participating member
  • 338 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:24 PM

I really like Bitchin Kitchen, always have. It's fun and I like it.

Don't really care for Guy but I like the show, interesting places. Who knew granulated garlic was so ubiquitous?

I've unintentionally been to several of the restaurants featured. Some were pretty good, others not so much. 

I watched about 15 seconds of The Kitchen thinking it was a spoof. When I figured out it wasn't, it made my list of worst shows ever.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

#237 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:07 AM

I love Diners Drive-Ins and Dives...It shows the food creativity of American cuisine

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#238 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:40 AM

I don't mind Fieri. He embraces his inner douchebag.

I respect that.

#239 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 420 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:23 AM

Unfortunately, he's a total douchebag.

• gfweb and btbyrd like this

#240 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 4,009 posts