Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Worst cooking show ever

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#271 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 949 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:00 PM

This is probably only of interest to Canadians but we watched the first episode of season 2's Chopped Canada. It was abysmal. The judges act like juvenile idiots and the host is smarmy. And the contestants - surely they can do better? I know a chef who tried out for the show. He was not accepted and when I asked him why he replied "I didn't have a good enough sob story". Seems the producers have that as a requirement to qualify for the show so the contestants can go on ad infinitum about how they are doing this for their dead mother or grammy or whomever who died 20 years ago. I get cross just thinking about the 45 or so minutes I wasted which could have been better spent watching or doing something else.
  • demiglace likes this

#272 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:18 PM

The sob story has been de rigueur on Chopped for years now.  A beloved deceased grandmother/father (preferably an immigrant) for whom the contestant is playing, being the favorite.  Having a misspent youth or a period of homelessness runs a close second.  After that, the themes are first responders, lunch ladies, grannies, teens, television personalities and the hosts themselves competing for charity. 

• gfweb and Shelby like this

#273 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:04 AM

I wish they'd just lose that part of the show.  I don't need to know about the chefs' pasts (mad-up or otherwise), I just want to see if they can cook.  I've pretty much stopped watching most of the episodes just for that reason.

I don't know how many of you have been around long enough to remember the show "Queen for a Day" from the mid to late fifties.  The wretched sob stories of those women (most of which I'll bet were fictional) brought the show to a ridiculous end.

Edited by lindag, 12 January 2015 - 07:43 AM.

• annabelle and gfweb like this

#274 chileheadmike

chileheadmike
  • participating member
  • 345 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:36 AM

So last weekend I watched the first installment of The Worst Cooks in America, now hosted by Anne Burrell and a chunkier Tyler Florence.  Words fail me in describing how truly awful it is.  Chock full of freaks and geeks, "artists" and characters, there is not one normal or likeable contestant in the bunch.  It's gone from mildly entertaining to cringeworthy in three seasons.

I suspected this would be the case. Thank you for confirming and saving me from this.

• annabelle likes this
That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

#275 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:48 PM

"So last weekend I watched the first installment of The Worst Cooks in America, now hosted by Anne Burrell and a chunkier Tyler Florence.  Words fail me in describing how truly awful it is.  Chock full of freaks and geeks, "artists" and characters, there is not one normal or likeable contestant in the bunch.  It's gone from mildly entertaining to cringeworthy in three seasons."

Once again, it's a case of too many clowns, not enough circuses!

• annabelle likes this

#276 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

It sounds like Ree, for sure.  Her show is called "The Pioneer Woman Cooks", I believe.  She is a blogger who published a couple of cookbooks and now has her own show.  She is the wife of a cattle rancher and the show is filmed at their home.

#277 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:22 AM

Not Ree, I know her well, this was an older woman and not Kathy Mitchell either.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you,  But blue mold will kill me.

#278 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

Not Ree, I know her well, this was an older woman and not Kathy Mitchell either.

"Farmhouse Rules" with Nancy Fuller?

I don't think it's Sandra Lee (blonde) though the food sounds like hers. Maybe Sandra went red in one of her seasons...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#279 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:20 PM

That looks like her, but with a bit more red hair.  

I did see Sandra Lee this morning, heck knows what channel they are trying to get me to add to my channel list because it only weird cooking programs and  religious stuff.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you,  But blue mold will kill me.

#280 btbyrd

btbyrd
  • participating member
  • 266 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:58 AM

Just dropping by the thread to express my undying hatred for "The Kitchen" on Food Network.

• gfweb likes this