Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Having people over

Indian

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Jenni

Jenni
  • participating member
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:50 AM

I also just want to say that I agree with prasantrin post above.

That's because you said it first! :laugh: So really, I agreed with you!

You said it better though, and more clearly!

By the way, it's not just Jains that avoid onion and garlic so do not just assume that if they are not Jain, then you are ok. Certain Hindu sects also do it, and in addition some Buddhists. So best to ask and then you will be completely sure!

#32 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

well I think I will have someone ask about such limitations- will be easier to deal with. Falafel is a great idea. I do see the point of not making Indian food and all. The reason I contemplated it was because whenever this group gets invited out for dinner by the local "hosts" they request to go to an Indian restaurant. But I think in general you are right. I will probably still do the Samosa sausage roll and perhaps the cauliflower as the locals will enjoy this too. The rest will be our regular stuff. I will take photos! I appreciate all the advice really a lot.

#33 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:00 AM

I once again had a delegation from India over for dinner (Sabbath dinner for us!). I made a few Indian style dishes which were greatly appreciated, although I do not know if they were "good". My family enjoyed them and all in all it was a lovely eveing. I made Halwa Gajar, this recipe which was well liked : http://www.cdkitchen...-Ca114573.shtml, This Chicken recipe for those who eat chicken: http://allrecipes.co...tomato-chicken/ (was okay-a bit oily I think) and fresh whole fish which we love but I do not think it was a success with our guests. (I would love any basic recipe or suggestions for the future)

very delicious and very sweet!
Carrot Halva Gajar Halva.jpg

Making the vegetable curry dish:
Indian Vegetable dish in the making.jpg

Making the chicken:
Indian style chicken.jpg

Indian dinner 1.jpg

Indian dinner 2.jpg

Indian dinner 3.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Indian