Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Overnight in DC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ewindels

ewindels
  • participating member
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

I'm in the capital this Saturday and Sunday for The Kennedy Center. Dinner on Saturday is at the Center itself (locked in, no options), so I've only got lunch on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday to explore. Saturday I'm open to anything: Richard? Andres? I'm hoping to spend the afternoon at the Gallery, so convenience would be nice but mandatory. Sunday breakfast I'm entertaining an older couple coming in from Arlington, so if there are any logistical considerations in terms of the Metro that might influence location choices... This one should be low-key, they're not shmancy.

Thanks in advance!
Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

#2 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

For Sunday breakfast, how about meeting them in Arlington at Bayou Bakery, near the Courthouse Metro stop.

By "Gallery" I assume you mean the National Gallery of Art. Unfortunately, Central Michel Richard isn't open for lunch on Saturdays, as is true for most of the good places near there. However, if you don't mind spending a bit (but not an outrageous amount), I suspect the Dim Sum Brunch at Wolfgang Puck's The Source would be excellent. (I've been there only for dinner.) They're right across Pennsylvania Avenue from the museum. Beautiful space, too. The entrance is a bit tricky to find; despite the Penn Ave address, it's actually on 6th St.

I was disappointed with my last two dinners at Cafe Atlantico. The food wasn't bad, just uninspired.

Mitsitam Cafe, in the Museum of the American Indian, is a fascinating place, but it won't be a relaxing lunch.
Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#3 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

Couldn't get into The Source for Saturday lunch in mid-Feb without a reservation, ended up at Cafe Atlantico (it was fine, but I agree--a little uninspired). So be sure to reserve a table if your heart's set on it.

#4 Busboy

Busboy
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:29 AM

I haven't had in Atlantico for dinner while er but memories of their brunch fond -- perhaps a lower level of inspiration is acceptable earlier in the day. :wink:

Depending on the weather, I think you could hardly do better than an outdoor table at Cafe du Parceither Saturday or Sunday. It's close to metro but a few pleasant blocks from the gallery. I generally prefer it to Centrale, though it is more traditional.

Jaleo is almost never a bad idea.

And -- not that I'm in Andres' back pocket, or anything -- but I can hardly think of anything in the world I'd rather have for brunch/lunch than chilequiles (aka "breakfast nachos") at Oyamel. Like Jaleo and Atlantico, it is close to metro and museum.

Edited by Busboy, 11 May 2011 - 04:30 AM.

I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government.

#5 ewindels

ewindels
  • participating member
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:11 AM

Thanks, all! Jaleo looks like the spot (also they were available).
Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

#6 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:32 AM

Yes, Jaleo is good. Ms. Alex and I ate an early dinner there this past Dec. 31. We had a plane to catch, so unfortunately we couldn't be there for the unlimited-tapas New Year's Eve party.

BTW, Jaleo is two blocks from Teaism. I recommend picking up a Chocolate Salty Oat Cookie (yes, I know it sounds like something from South Park) and stashing it away for a midnight snack.

Edited by Alex, 13 May 2011 - 09:39 AM.

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times