Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

eG Foodblog: heidih (2011) - A slice of life in the South Bay of Los A

Foodblog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
198 replies to this topic

#181 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,825 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

Part of the fresh noodle and soy aisle
noodles and soy.JPG
herbs
herbs.JPG
pickled products
pickles.JPG
bit more produce
produce1.JPG

#182 heidih

heidih
  • 10,825 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:48 PM

The hot area is seafood. The customers are chatting about it and jockeying for position - no take a number system here.
fish1.JPG
fish2.JPG
tilapia.JPG

Salted dry fish and a conch warning
salted dry fish.JPG
conch.JPG

#183 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

And a shot of Pierogi's new scissors on sale for $14.99 today only and 10 % going to the charity :)

WAY cool Heidi ! Thank you again. I need to make a Cookin' Stuff pilgrimage soon. It's been too long since I've dropped significant coin there, and I *have* dropped significant coin there. More than once :shock:

And oh, that Red Onion ! If I only had a nickle for every Margarita I've had there over the years (and at the El Torito on Hawthorne & Lomita....). Yikes...what memories.

Thanks for a glance at your life, and your kitchen. And of course the scissors. It's been great fun.
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#184 heidih

heidih
  • 10,825 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:54 PM

Some roots I can not place - way bigger than a yucca
roots.JPG

They sell Jamaican meat pies. I got a beef one. A short crust colored with annato and filled with a very finely ground meat mixture that is herbal and spicy.
jampatties.JPG
patty.JPG

Offal and other odd parts are in the mix as well
parts.JPG

I picked up the rice crackers I mentioned earlier that have dried shrimp and hot pepper
cracker.JPG

#185 heidih

heidih
  • 10,825 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:50 PM

Last post of the blog for me.

The idea for dinner was to make a crispy crunchy baguette with the no knead dough I mixed up at the beginning of the week and turn it into a sort of banh mi sandwich.

The very soft dough on parchment and ready to rest and rise
dough.JPG

Risenrisen.JPG

Baked
baked.JPG

I decided to keep it simple with the cucumber marinated earlier in the week and some red onion quick pickled today. I had carrot and daikon radish but was not in the mood
onion\'.JPG

I made up sandwiches with a smear of the mushroom liverwurst from Alpine Village on one side, mayo & Sriracha on the other, thin slices of the pork from yesterday plus the cucumber and onion pickle. The bread was sliced lengthwise. Completely forgot to add cilantro - but it was wonderful. Crunchy, meaty, garlicy, sweet/sour.spicy - a great end to a long day.

Thanks for following along.

#186 nikkib

nikkib
  • participating member
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:36 PM

Thanks Heidh - it has been a great week reading your blog and getting a peak at life in your part of the world!
"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

#187 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

I've really enjoyed reading, Heidi! I was traveling so I didn't get a chance to comment too much, but I always stopped to catch up with what you were doing. Thank you for sharing!!

#188 IowaDee

IowaDee
  • participating member
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

I too have enjoyed this so much. Sad to say, it looks as if I won't be buying or tasting conch anytime soon at those
prices. If I could get a pound, I'd jump at the chance in the hopes that I would love it. Your week stirred up a
lot of happy memories for me. Thank You.

#189 Jenni

Jenni
  • participating member
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:36 AM

Thank you for a blog of such wonderfully vibrant food! I'm jealous of your citrus trees and your sunshine :smile:

#190 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,409 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:52 AM

This has been a terrific blog, Heidi.

The photos and your descriptions are so vivid that I am considering a trek down that way for a shopping expedition.
I've a friend who lives "between the freeways" in Carson and has been inviting me to visit for some time. (Another basenji owner - non foodie.)
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#191 hsm

hsm
  • participating member
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:57 AM

Thank you, Heidi! It's been a wonderful week to follow. I make that carrot and daikon pickle, but I'm inspired to branch out. :smile:

#192 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:26 AM

Wonderful blog, Heidi! Reading this is a great way to spend my Mother's Day! And, Happy Mother's Day to you and all the Moms on egullet.
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#193 catdaddy

catdaddy
  • participating member
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:49 PM

Just want to add my thanks for your efforts on behalf on the egullet community.
That last sandwich sounded devine.

Reading your blog and others from SoCal I am reminded of the blessing of many cultures living close to each other. Everyone gets new stuff to eat constantly. And no doubt future fusion chefs are cutting their teeth there on a busy Mothers Day.

Hope the guac is good!

#194 chezcherie

chezcherie
  • participating member
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

many thanks, heidih, for the tour of my old stomping grounds! memories of annie's, and (OMG!) the red onion brought smiles and good memories. great glimpse into your food life. cheers!
"Laughter is brightest where food is best."
www.chezcherie.com
Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

#195 heidih

heidih
  • 10,825 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

Thank you all for your kind words. It feels good to share the bounty of the area.

The guacamole is indeed good as is the salsa. The big avo yielded this generous bowlful. Both dips have been enjoyed with the still fresh tasting tortilla chips from yesterday. I am off to stroll in the Botanic Gardens and then enjoy some pho with my son. Happy Mothers Day to all the moms :smile:

DSCN0958.JPG

#196 JTravel

JTravel
  • society donor
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:32 PM

I too have enjoyed another part of the world, even if it's only on the other coast. After our long dark winter this was a treat.
I will try that sandwich with the roast pork left over from Mother's Day. Pickled things, fresh bread and pork, sounds good.

Thanks for your blog.

#197 blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin
  • participating member
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

I too have enjoyed another part of the world, even if it's only on the other coast. ...

I've enjoyed it, too. And hey, I'm only on the other side of LA (Ventura) :laugh:!

The guacamole-run to a restaurant for fresh fried chips brings back very tasty memories of my UCLA days! One of the post-docs in the lab had an avocado tree and used to bring in grocery bags full. The rest of us would supply the other ingredients and gather in the conf room for the communal chopping and mashing necessary to produce a most excellent guacamole in a big old punch bowl. When it was just about ready, we'd take up a cash collection and send someone out to the nearest Mexican restaurant for fresh, hot chips. Mmmmm Mmmmm!

Thanks again for blogging!

#198 kayb

kayb
  • society donor
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:01 PM

The first teaser shot showed iced tea in a vintage pitcher so I thought I would address my iced tea. It is my all day beverage. Several years ago I picked up a brewing method from a friend that is simple and works for me. I nuke a cup of water in a pyrex measuring cup and then add 4 to 6 tea bags, depending on the type. Today I used 3 bags of the Safeway brand black tea and 2 of Bigelow Perfect Peach. I let it steep for a few minutes, again depending on the tea, pour into the pitcher and fill with water from the tap. As summer approaches I will have different flavors going in pitchers. Anyone an iced tea fiend?

All day, every day. In the summer when there are lots of berries, I cook berries, water and sugar into a thin syrup, strain it, and keep it in the fridge. A half-cup of it gives iced tea a wonderful flavor. I also use a lot of the mint growing on my back porch.
Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

#199 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

Heidi, thanks for sharing a slice of your culinary life with us. Your fabulous pictures of the markets, citrus and gardens, produce, weather and more have made me very envious. It was fun being with you this week -- thanks again!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foodblog