Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Bonal Gentiane-Quina

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

Thanks to Dan's advice my bottle of Bonal is comfortable resting in my fridge. However, before it put it in I had to try a few experiments. 

My first go was the Now Voyager (link), a creation of none other than the inimitable Rafa

1 Oz Jamaican Rum (Smith & Cross)

1 Oz Rhum Agricole (La Favorite Blanc-also a new purchase)

1 Oz Bonal

2 ds Xocoatl Mole Bitters

Stir, strain, up, lemon twist (discard)

Fantastic drink, lovely rich deep flavors. The combo of chocolate bitters and the Bonal is a great one. 

To find out how Bonal worked in a sour application, I also tried Ted Kilgore's Word to the Wise (link)

1 Oz OGD 114 Bourbon (Wild Turkey 101)

0.5 Oz Bonal

0.5 Oz Green Chartreuse

0.5 Oz Maraschino

0.5 Oz Lime Juice

Shake, strain, up, cherry(omitted)

Perhaps a touch sweet, but very nice flavor combo. The Chartreuse, Maraschino, and lime puts me in mind of a Last Word, but with the extra herbal notes from the Bonal it is more complex - less refreshing but more contemplative.

I am loving the Bonal so far. I was a little worried when I tasted it at room temperature, as it had a bit of an aftertaste. But chilled or in cocktails it is very lovely.

#62 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

Now Voyager sounds like me, but in the absence of Bonal in our local stores I'd be looking towards Suze.  What adjustments to quantities would you suggest?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#63 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

Leslie- although they both contain gentian, Bonal is closer to a red vermouth (just imagine Punt e Mes with a touch of gentian), whereas Suze much more gentian-forward, with some citrus as well (it's closer to something like Cocchi Americano), and may not work very well in that recipe.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 15 September 2014 - 07:20 PM.

#64 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:40 PM

Merci, madame.  I might have a play - maybe two thirds Punt to one third Suze - and see what happens.

Otherwise I guess I'm going to have to send the Lear over (again) for supplies.

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

#65 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:40 AM

I am delighted to report that .75 oz Punt e Mes and .25 oz Suze (with Appleton 12, cachaça and xocolatl bitters) makes rather a fine drink. Whether it's quie what Rafa intended for Now Voyager remains to be seen.

My eG Foodblog

#66 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 659 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

That sounds like a lovely drink all of its own. 

Edited by Rafa, 17 September 2014 - 11:01 AM.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#67 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

I created something based on the Corpse Reviver No. 2 for MxMo LXXV ("Flip Flop!"), You Only Live Twice with rye & Bonal. Here is the original on the left and the twist on the right. It worked out well. I need to use my Bonal more often.

9398382170_2ca354a36a_z.jpg

Sipping on this right now, and it really is fantastic. 

#68 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:34 PM

Thank you! So glad you liked it.