Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What's in your cream?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#91 Creola

Creola
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

just heat the cream till just under a boil add good chocolate chips and stir till smooth. I make big batches and keep in the freezer, just defrost in microwave stirring often,don't overheat.It would be good for the holidays to coat a chocolate fudge cake with a raspberry or pomegranate filling or bite sized cakes.

#92 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

I'm slightly embarassed to say it, but I'd just eat that heavy cream by the spoonful. It wouldn't last that long around my house.

Other than that, absolutely, ganache! It freezes very well, and if you make it stiff enough you can scoop it out with a melon baller or tiny ice-cream scoop, roll it in coconut, and call it truffles.....
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#93 thock

thock
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Yeah, I made myself some chocolate "milk" with about a third of the glass the lighter version of that heavy cream. I'm still not hungry.
Tracy
Lenexa, KS, USA

#94 pbear

pbear
  • participating member
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

FWIW, another couple of data points. As it happens, I have two half-pints of heavy cream in the fridge. One is Berkeley Farms, ultra-pasteurized and has carrageenan. The other is Clover organic, pasteurized but not ultra (with a significantly shorter expiration date, though purchased a few days more recently) and has none. Bear in mnd there are three kinds of carrageenan - kappa, iota and lambda. The latter is the one being used here and is the softest of the three.

ETA: By the way, I'm in San Francisco. These are both popular brands here.

Edited by pbear, 04 December 2012 - 08:23 PM.

#95 thock

thock
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

As an experiment, because it's all about the science, you know ;-), I bought two half-gallon cartons of ultra pasteurized heavy cream at Costco, yesterday. They both carry best-by dates of 19 January 2013. I put them both in the garage fridge, upside-down.

I plan on leaving one there, more or less for a year and a half. The other, I will be using, when I run out of the current house-fridge cream.

I'm going to see how much "light" cream I can pour off the long-term-storage one when I finally open it, and will sacrifice myself to make ganache out of the remaining heavy stuff. Because, you know, it will be SUCH a sacrifice. I think I will write myself a note on the stored one so I don't forget to update this thread. A year and a half is a bit too long to leave to my memory.
Tracy
Lenexa, KS, USA