Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

ISO: Good places for dinner around the Niagara Falls area

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:22 AM

I would really appreciate some solid recommendations for the Niagra Falls area. Preferably something unique as opposed to a run-of-the-mill tourist joint. Any suggestions? P

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#2 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

How far from Niagara Falls are you willing to travel? My first recommendation right now would be Treadwell, and there are lots of great options at the various wineries in the region. Don't know about Niagara Falls itself, though.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#3 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 488 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

Depending on what you want to eat there are a couple of decent places near the falls. My wife and I and our friends had a very good meal at Remington's of Niagara a few years ago.I am not sure if they are still doing the Top of clifton Hill and turn right . If you want some of the best woodfired pizza anywhere in Ontario , not just niagara falls. Try Antica pizza, top of clifton hill and turn left. I can't remember the cross street name sorry. It is on the right hand side and has a outside patio that is nice when the weather is good.
"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#4 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

How far from Niagara Falls are you willing to travel? My first recommendation right now would be Treadwell, and there are lots of great options at the various wineries in the region. Don't know about Niagara Falls itself, though.

No more than 20 minute drive or so.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#5 MuskokaChef

MuskokaChef
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:00 AM

http://www.wellington-court.com/
http://www.casamiaristorante.com/

above are two good places that I know of; first in St.Catharines-about 25 min drive
and the other in NF, both very good food done by folks that care what they serve.

#6 JTravel

JTravel
  • society donor
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:23 PM

We did a getaway in Feb. with the Oakes Hotel in NF Ontario. It included dinner at Remington's and the other night we went to Antica. Both were nice,good tasty food. I really liked the set-up/open kitchen with pizza oven at Antica and the staff was really nice.
If you are interested our hotel deal also included free wine tastings at 4 wineries which we really enjoyed. A couple of those places have dinners in very upscale restaurants on the property but they are up toward Niagara on the Lake, farther than you were wanting to go

#7 JC

JC
  • participating member
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:24 PM

Last time I was there (back in 2000) a friend suggested a short drive to the town of Niagara On the Lake to dine at the Queens Landing hotel - http://www.vintage-h...ding/dining.htm

It was an excellent suggestion. The drive there, along the Niagara Parkway, was lovely. If you like icewine, along the way you can visit Inniskillin. The town of Niagara On the Lake itself is very picturesque. And the food at Queens Landing was very good.

All in a very worthwhile short trip, both for sightseeing and dining.

#8 GordonCooks

GordonCooks
  • participating member
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:34 AM

If you're going as far as Niagara on the Lake - the restaurant at Hillebrand Estates Winery is excellent and well as the mentioned Treadwell and Tony DeLuca's. There is a casual place called Olde Winery restaurant doing trattoria style food with a nice wine list and a great bar. My go to spot after a long day at the wineries.

#9 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:16 AM

Thank you for the recs. Looks like Treadwell might be the most likely option at this time.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#10 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

We had lunch at Treadwell's today. Wow. A beautiful space, attentive service and really delicious food, all locally sourced. I had a brunch dish of Eggs Benedict with spinach, made with luscious local ham and a sensational hollandaise, very bright with fresh lemon. The hub had roast pork belly with a deep dark mustard jus, sprinkled with coriander cress from the garden Mmmmm. I had a local sparkling rose that was delicious and hub had a deep dark piney red from Pelham Estates. Finished with a peach crumble from peach trees just down the road and a tangy sour cream ice cream We left feeling cared for, with that lovely glow that comes from a wonderful dining experience Perfect.

#11 Alex Parker

Alex Parker
  • participating member
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

I love this area.

Without a doubt check out Wellington Court. Its right across the street from me, and its unreal. As well theres a little known place on Queen Street in St Catharines called Toi, thats amazing as well. Well worth the visit. For good Italian, my friend Bill is the exec at a great little place on Church street called La Scala. Its tiny, only 30 seats, and the food is lovely. I wont recommend Treadwells as hes a tyrant in the kitchen and well past his prime In my opinion.

alexP

#12 Andrew

Andrew
  • participating member
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

Any updates would be welcome. We are visiting for a couple of nights in the summer and would be interested in some recommendations. Given the limited amount of time we will have and that we will not have a car anything close by / short cab journey would be welcome.

Thanks

Andrew

#13 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

We had lunch at Treadwell's today. Wow. A beautiful space, attentive service and really delicious food, all locally sourced. I had a brunch dish of Eggs Benedict with spinach, made with luscious local ham and a sensational hollandaise, very bright with fresh lemon. The hub had roast pork belly with a deep dark mustard jus, sprinkled with coriander cress from the garden Mmmmm. I had a local sparkling rose that was delicious and hub had a deep dark piney red from Pelham Estates. Finished with a peach crumble from peach trees just down the road and a tangy sour cream ice cream We left feeling cared for, with that lovely glow that comes from a wonderful dining experience Perfect.

I was wondering if anyone had posted about Treadwell's, and sure enough, here it is! I had an outstanding lunch today -- and for $25 prix fixe for three substantial courses, it's a ridiculous bargain. They may not offer it over the summer, though so YMMV.

First course = 18 "Steamed PEI mussels with Fennel Pollen Cream and Preserved Lemon" (and three large and crispy toasts). Also available was a green salad with Monforte (a dairy in Stratford) feta and sliced apple.

Second course = "Breakfast" -- two fried eggs, two (or maybe three) rashers of thick-cut bacon, a bit of maple baked beans, and fried bread. Also available were a brioche french toast and a beef plate with corned beef hash, Ontario beef brisket, potatoes, and a poached egg with Hollandaise.

Third course = three ice creams: root beer, vanilla bean, and sweet cream with chocolate-caramel swirls, accompanied by a brown butter Madeleine. Also available was an espresso pot de creme with caramelized hazelnuts and Madelines.

Service was efficient w/o being obtrusive, and friendly w/o being obsequious. The only downside was that it's a small room with an open kitchen, so if the place is busy, there's some unavoidable cooking odor--but less than I've experienced in similar ones.

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times