Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Short/long soups

Chinese

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 annachan

annachan
  • participating member
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

Got a take out menu from a local Chinese restaurant so I browsed through it. I came across "Short or Long Soup." I had no idea what the heck that was. I googled it and found that short soup means wonton/dumpling soup and long soup means noodle soup. If you want wonton noodle soup, it would be a short and long soup.

I read somewhere that long is referred to the length of the noodle. But how did that get turn into long soup? Never heard of this in Hong Kong, in China or the US. Is this just an Australian thing? Just find this interesting and wonder if anyone know much about it.

#2 CFT

CFT
  • participating member
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:08 AM

There are different 'classes' of soups served in the home setting though. One which is a quick boil of the ingredients, like tofu, leafy veg. etc. Then there are those which require low heat, long simmer like the medicinal ones (yerk choy). Oh maybe even 3 classes if you consider those which are steamed inside a separate container like dong guai.
Best Wishes,
Chee Fai.

#3 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:29 AM

yes, it's Australian.

#4 annachan

annachan
  • participating member
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

There are different 'classes' of soups served in the home setting though. One which is a quick boil of the ingredients, like tofu, leafy veg. etc. Then there are those which require low heat, long simmer like the medicinal ones (yerk choy). Oh maybe even 3 classes if you consider those which are steamed inside a separate container like dong guai.

I understand that. But the name short and long here does not refer to the cooking time.

#5 natasha1270

natasha1270
  • participating member
  • 394 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:37 PM

Perhaps because the cellophane noodles are sometime referred to as 'long rice'?
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

#6 djyee100

djyee100
  • society donor
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:13 PM

It might be specific Australian terminology. I've never seen it before in a Chinese restaurant, East or West coast in the US.

However, I believe long noodles, in soup or stirfry, are supposed to signify long life. Maybe that's why "long" noodles are important. One is never supposed to cut the noodles--that's like cutting your life short. Once I and others were assisting a traditional Chinese chef at a cooking class. He made a stirfry with long noodles. No way we could quickly serve samples of those noodles to the class without cutting them. A couple of us blocked the chef's view of the counter while one person did some quick work with the scissors.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chinese