Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Soy sauce noodles?

Chinese Condiments

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

Just curious, and I am not taking sides because I am not an expert in these matters:

I used Google Translate,

English to Chinese, Ramen = 拉麵

Ramen to japenese = ラーメン

Japanese to Chinese= ラーメン = 拉麵

I am an expert, however, in saying that soy sauce noodles taste very good. :-)

dcarch

#32 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

Ha Ha! Google Translate and any similar sites are responsible for most of the nonsensical Chingish and Japlish we have to suffer every day. It is pretty much useless as a translation tool.

I suggest you take one of your favorite songs. Translate the lyrics to Chinese or Japanese or any other language, then translate back to English and see what nonsense you come up with.

Now can we talk about food, please?

Edited by liuzhou, 02 April 2011 - 10:46 AM.

#33 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:22 AM

-----------------
I suggest you take one of your favorite songs. Translate the lyrics to Chinese or Japanese or any other language, then translate back to English and see what nonsense you come up with.

-------------

I know what you are talking about.

and to get back to food:

I understand that "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" translates to "The wine is pretty good, but the meat is lousy" in some language. LOL!

dcarch

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chinese, Condiments