Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Curtis Stone - Already Sick Of Him?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

Yeah, yeah, I know. All things Australian are cool.

But seriously. Top Chef Masters? America's Next Great Restaurant? Take Home Chef? And one of the sexiest men alive?!

Enough already. Has anyone had any of this guy's food?
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#2 Genkinaonna

Genkinaonna
  • participating member
  • 577 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:14 PM

He seems like an Australian Tyler Florence to me. I have the impression he was engineered in a factory to appeal to a certain demographic. I have not had any of his food, but I can't say anything he's made really makes me want it...
If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

#3 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:21 PM

Has he really made something?
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#4 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:24 PM

He does a good rod Stewart impression.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

#5 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:29 PM

I actually quite like him, but maybe I'm just a sucker for tall, blond guys with an accent. :huh:
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#6 heidih

heidih
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:05 PM

Once you get past the accent which can seem almost like a marketing tool, I think he is real. My sis brought me one of the big food magazines from Australia and his column was right there with food you want to eat (magazine has been passed on so can not be specific). The show he has in the US where he found ladies at the market and helped them was beyond stupid- but that was the network and he is a working man.

#7 rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject
  • participating member
  • 777 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:34 PM

Loathe.

But he is 'real'. He's a well-known chef here; was on a few cooking shows in Aus before he 'made it big' in the US and I never really liked the look of his food or his pretty-boy schtick, though I suspect he's actually quite technically proficient as a cook.

He's also a spokesman for one of the very big supermarket chains here (Coles), a chain whose practices I have some ethical/irritation issues with, so that diminished him further in my view. (Really, Curtis? Your recipe cards NEED to specify that one must use "Coles-brand cage eggs"? Especially since at the same time you're spruiking cookbooks espousing ethical, locavore and organic food choices?)

Edited by rarerollingobject, 23 March 2011 - 09:41 PM.

#8 Hayley Casarotto

Hayley Casarotto
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:45 AM

Exactly right about the cage eggs, rarerollingobject. I am gobsmacked that he endorses animal cruelty for a monopolistic chain with dubious practices in almost every area in order to land a paycheck.

Also, Curtis' "feed your family for less than $10" series of recipes that he did for Coles apparently require you to have a good lot of stuff in your pantry in order to keep it under $10. Which you might not necessarily have.

I've never been a fan of the food he promotes, and seeing as how his accent is the same as mine, I am not swayed by it. There are plenty of much, much more talented Australian cooks and chefs out there, and the only reason he's the one who's made it big in America is his surfer image. Pass.

#9 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:00 AM

Beyond the "food column," I'd still like to know what his restaurant food tasted like. If there ever was any.

Sounds like, from the people who are really in the know (see rarerollingobject and Hayley Casarotto above), he's a bit of a, as we Americans like to say, dbag.
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#10 natasha1270

natasha1270
  • participating member
  • 395 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:44 AM

Only caught an episode or two of Take Home Chef and he seems harmless enough. Judging from his bio on Bravo.com, he would seem to have a bit more in the credential department than his Top Chef counterpart, Padma. Will wait and see how that translates on Top Chef Masters.

editted to correct link.

Edited by natasha1270, 24 March 2011 - 04:46 AM.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

#11 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:51 AM

Only caught an episode or two of Take Home Chef and he seems harmless enough. Judging from his bio on Bravo.com, he would seem to have a bit more in the credential department than his Top Chef counterpart, Padma. Will wait and see how that translates on Top Chef Masters.

editted to correct link.

Padma's just another pretty face. Oh wait...
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#12 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:55 AM

Loathe.

But he is 'real'. He's a well-known chef here; was on a few cooking shows in Aus before he 'made it big' in the US and I never really liked the look of his food or his pretty-boy schtick, though I suspect he's actually quite technically proficient as a cook.

He's also a spokesman for one of the very big supermarket chains here (Coles), a chain whose practices I have some ethical/irritation issues with, so that diminished him further in my view. (Really, Curtis? Your recipe cards NEED to specify that one must use "Coles-brand cage eggs"? Especially since at the same time you're spruiking cookbooks espousing ethical, locavore and organic food choices?)

What's a cage egg?

#13 Hayley Casarotto

Hayley Casarotto
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:10 AM

What's a cage egg?

An egg from a battery hen, as opposed to free range (or the other option we have here, barn-laid, which is sort of middle ground.)

#14 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:12 AM

He's one of Marco Pierre White's proteges. Tough school to be brought up in: Marco is notoriously known as the only chef to make Gordon Ramsay cry. Stone was head chef in one of MPW's restaurants. Must be able to cook.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#15 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:48 AM

I've seen the guy on TV. it seems is is a highly effective TV personality. The concept that TV food shows are more about TV than food seems hard for some to grasp. He was compared to Tyler Florence, who is another very effective TV personality. So these guys don't meet out high EG standards. But the people running the TV shows seem to like them. it is about TV not about food

#16 Holly Moore

Holly Moore
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:35 AM

Full title please. As Bravo kept saying last night, "Celebrity Chef Curtis Stone."
Holly Moore
"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com
Twitter

#17 llc45

llc45
  • participating member
  • 335 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:31 AM

Full title please. As Bravo kept saying last night, "Celebrity Chef Curtis Stone."

:laugh: :laugh:

#18 Nasi_Campur

Nasi_Campur
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

I don't own a TV...

given what I've heard here about the "Celebrity Chef" I remain overjoyed about my condition. :rolleyes:

#19 ruthcooks

ruthcooks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Can't get past his awful, messy hair. Is it not combed? Or does he (or someone else) spend hours getting it to look like that?

Watched him cook just once, and something he did turned me "right off".
Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

#20 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

Can't get past his awful, messy hair. Is it not combed? Or does he (or someone else) spend hours getting it to look like that?

Watched him cook just once, and something he did turned me "right off".

I think that's the style these days. Have you seen Richard Blais's hair?

#21 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:41 PM

Eater gets right on the story...today.

Which begs the question: Who the hell is Curtis Stone?

mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#22 IndyRob

IndyRob
  • participating member
  • 854 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

Eater gets right on the story...today.

Which begs the question: Who the hell is Curtis Stone?

Good find. Props to him for surviving three restaurants with Marco Pierre White, but otherwise, there's not much there there.

This thread title popped into my head at the beginning of Top Chef: Masters, and I thought "Yeah, I think so."

#23 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:31 PM

OK. See. The thing is this....

While you folks with the XY chromosomes like having Padma and Kelly around as the eye-candy hostesses, us folks with the XX chromosomes would like someone to drool over (well in addition to the food).

Curtis works for me on that level. He may not have the best cred, he may not have a lot of chops in the kitchen, but...but...

He's tall
He's got a good body
He's blond
He's got a killer accent
He's cute

Works for me. :cool: :wink:

No complaints from this quarter. Heck, I even used to watch "Take Home Chef", as awful as that was, just for the vicarious thrill....... :blush:
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#24 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:45 PM

I must admit that maybe I've got my head in the sand on such matters--I don't really watch television on a regular or even semi-regular basis, I tend to, er, 'acquire' the stuff I want from ad-free sources, I don't have cable--but I'd never really seen the guy doing anything at all aside from the supermarket ads a bit ago. Maybe he popped up once or twice on Masterchef, even. He publishes the odd recipe in delicious magazine, too. He--and his success story--don't really strike me as that different to the stories of many celebrity 'chefs', most of whom aren't chefs at all. I don't know ... but on Masterchef and some other shows, where they sometimes trundle out chefs who still earn 95% of their income from actually cooking steaks and cakes, a lot of them don't have the 'personality' to be some happy bouncing excitable television show presenter (and our presenters over here are a bit more subdued than what I've seen of, say, Extreme Foods or Top Chef).

To host a cooking show--or sell frypans or put recipes into magazines pitched at supermarket shoppers--you don't need to be a 'real' chef. It's not what television show producers and magazine publishers are looking for. Some industry cred is nice, maybe, but it's not as nice as the ability to relate to an audience of everyday folk and flash a pretty smile. Nigella Lawson's boobs and seductive voice and accessibility--she draws attention to the corners she cuts, makes it clear you can do all this at home with stuff you buy on the way home from work--than how good, truly, her roast pork is or how she'd fare, one-on-one on some Iron Chef special, against Elena Arzak.

I don't hold the success Stone (and Lawson and Oliver and whoever else) has had against him. I mean damn, if I could work a few years in a kitchen and then become really rich promoting Coles supermarkets and looking pretty for housewives while I told middle Australia how to grill the perfect steak, I'd go for it.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#25 PopsicleToze

PopsicleToze
  • participating member
  • 944 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:46 AM

OK. See. The thing is this....

While you folks with the XY chromosomes like having Padma and Kelly around as the eye-candy hostesses, us folks with the XX chromosomes would like someone to drool over (well in addition to the food).

Curtis works for me on that level. He may not have the best cred, he may not have a lot of chops in the kitchen, but...but...

He's tall
He's got a good body
He's blond
He's got a killer accent
He's cute

Works for me. :cool: :wink:

No complaints from this quarter. Heck, I even used to watch "Take Home Chef", as awful as that was, just for the vicarious thrill....... :blush:

Nice synopsis! :biggrin: :cool:

#26 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:51 PM

He seems somewhat more credible to me than Rocco Dispirito, which isn't saying much, but says something. Some might say the same thing about Jamie Oliver.

Bobby Flay is all over the place and no one is questioning his cred. I recall watching Nigella Lawson deep throat a wooden spoon in a scandalously low cut blouse on one episode and no one questioned that except me, I think.

Not sure I understand what the problem is. If it annoys you, change the channel. 'Tis the nature of the beast.

Edited by KatieLoeb, 10 April 2011 - 09:54 PM.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#27 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:47 AM

He seems somewhat more credible to me than Rocco Dispirito, which isn't saying much, but says something. Some might say the same thing about Jamie Oliver.

Bobby Flay is all over the place and no one is questioning his cred. I recall watching Nigella Lawson deep throat a wooden spoon in a scandalously low cut blouse on one episode and no one questioned that except me, I think.

Not sure I understand what the problem is. If it annoys you, change the channel. 'Tis the nature of the beast.

The first 3 people you mention (chefs, all) in your post have all successfully opened and ran restaurants. Whatever you think of the current Rocco, his Union Pacific restaurant was quite highly regarded in its time. Flay came up through the ranks and worked his way to the top. He may not be my favorite chef, but his "cred" is second to none. Oliver's, too, imo, for his work not only at his restaurants, but with kids.

Nigella's "episode" has nothing to do with the judging of other people's qualifications.

But Stone, otoh, is expert enough in American fast food to be able to do just that, evidently.

By the way, the change the channel thing has nothing to do with my original statement. Who and what made this guy famous enough to be all over my bloody screen?
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#28 Jen Rehm

Jen Rehm
  • participating member
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:19 AM

Eye candy....
Skills optional.
Can you eat that?

#29 Kafka Zola

Kafka Zola
  • participating member
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:49 PM

By the way, the change the channel thing has nothing to do with my original statement. Who and what made this guy famous enough to be all over my bloody screen?

My cynical assessment: nothing made him so famous, but they think women are the main demographic group for this -- and most Bravo or general food -- shows. So, they brought on a supposed hot hunk with a supposed modicum of cooking credentials and a "foreign" (by US standards) accent to make him slightly more intriguing and "sexy." A youngish enough man to appeal to the main, necessary 18-35 demographic that controls their ad dollars. And, equally importantly, he's a total BLANK SLATE in terms of US viewers, so he carries none of the baggage that someone like Rocco would have.

He's not my cup of tea, but honestly, isn't he better than Billy Joel's robotic wife or the former Asian host for Top Chef: Masters? I mean, at least this one seems to be breathing.....
[size="2"]"There are dogs, and then there are German Shepherds.... "- Unknown[/size]

#30 heidih

heidih
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:56 PM

Eye candy....
Skills optional.

This summarizes some of the earlier posts from us girls - yup sometimes content is not the point :biggrin: And he is not completely culinarily clueless