Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What did you buy at the liquor store today?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
556 replies to this topic

#61 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,622 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

Agreed on the lemon bump.

Today bought M&R rosso, Citadelle gin (my wife's favorite for the Fever Tree G&Ts I'm planning to make once it warms up), and Dubonnet rouge, which I buy almost exclusively to make one of my favorite drinks, Robert Hess's Rochester:

2 oz rye
1 oz Dubonnet
1/2 oz Licor 43
1/4 oz absinthe
2 dashes Angostura
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#62 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:58 PM

Got a few things at Hi-Times last week...

266659052.jpg

#63 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:23 PM

George Dickel No. 8. This is a super-smooth Tennessee whiskey. I've already killed half the bottle!

#64 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 853 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

Lemon Hart 151...now, where's my swizzle stick?
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#65 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

Actually yesterday, El Dorado 6 year silver. Not sure how it stacks up in the world of white rums but, since that and Havana Club Anejo Blanco (which I already have) are the only local or semi-local options other than Bacardi and Captain Morgan, I thought I might as well give it a shot.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#66 Boilerfood

Boilerfood
  • participating member
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

Cruzan Blackstrap, Flor de Cana 4, and Pimm's. Summer is in full swing as far as I am concerned.

EDIT: I guess I should mention that my Lemon Hart 151 arrived in the mail the other day. That stuff is AMAZING.

Edited by Boilerfood, 17 April 2011 - 04:39 PM.

#67 vice

vice
  • 900 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

Stopped at K&L Hollywood to pick up Vieux Pontarlier absinthe, Campo de Encanto pisco, and Benedictine. Others in my expedition snagged some Whistle Pig and El Dorado 15.
Dave Viola, aka vice
Host, eG Forums
dviola@eGstaff.org

#68 Dan Perrigan

Dan Perrigan
  • participating member
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:12 AM

Lemon Hart 151. Woo!

Dan

#69 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 909 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

Was stocking up at the NH liquor store (Bulleit rye, yeah! Fernet at a good price. Whodathunk?). Had heard good things about Root. Artisanal-looking label. Birch bark listed last after many other spices. Expecting a complicated, herbal 80 proof liqueur with a vague flavor of root beer. Nope. Smells and tastes just like A&W. What am I going to do with 750ml of that? So I'll be putting scoops of ice cream in my drinks while the other Dan is playing with LH151. :sad:

Edited by EvergreenDan, 24 April 2011 - 11:30 AM.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#70 Dan Perrigan

Dan Perrigan
  • participating member
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:40 PM

...What am I going to do with 750ml of that? So I'll be putting scoops of ice cream in my drinks while the other Dan is playing with LH151. :sad:

I can sympathize, though, since I'm still trying to figure out what to do with 1.75L of New Amsterdam "Gin"

:)

Dan

#71 Ufamizm

Ufamizm
  • participating member
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:50 AM

One of the local stores here just ran a closeout special on Karlsson's Gold. While I normally abhor vodka, Karlsson's is the exception, with that earthy, mushroomy flavor. Bought out their inventory at 9.99 a bottle!

#72 Boilerfood

Boilerfood
  • participating member
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:57 AM

...What am I going to do with 750ml of that? So I'll be putting scoops of ice cream in my drinks while the other Dan is playing with LH151. :sad:

I can sympathize, though, since I'm still trying to figure out what to do with 1.75L of New Amsterdam "Gin"

:)

Dan

When you figure it out let me know.

#73 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:14 AM

1 juniper berry, muddled
1 oz New Amsterdam Gin
1 oz Campari
1 oz Punt e Mes

Would that work? I've never tasted the stuff.

#74 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 432 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

Sunday, I went to one of Pennsylvania's "specialty" stores. These are simply stores with larger than average footprint that can afford some shelf space to a few unusual products. The PLCB has been trying very hard of late to bring in more products that cocktail enthusiasts are demanding, so I give them credit for that, but not everything is available everywhere. The store I visited* isn't all that far, but there are at least 3 other stores closer to where I live, so I don't go there on a regular basis. So my wife and I took a ride on a rainy Sunday and filled up a shopping cart with:

Hayman's Old Tom Gin (had never tasted before; tried it, love it. Should be loads of fun to experiment with)
Smith & Cross Jamaica Rum (tasted this in a bar and was bowled over; haven't cracked the bottle open yet, though)
Liquore Strega (have tasted it before, but never bought a bottle. It's nicely Chartreusey. Curious to see how it would work in an Alaska or a Yellow Parrot)
Ramazzotti (already have a bottle, but it's nearly gone and I love this stuff)
Plymouth Sloe Gin (finally broke down and bought some)
Herbsaint Original (Hey, it was $13.00 off the regular price!)
Marie Brizard Orange Curaçao (Until now, the only products we had in PA that served as orange curaçao were Grand Marnier and its imitators such as Gran Gala, etc. It will nice to be able reach for this when a recipe calls for, you know . . . orange curaçao).

All of the above are rather new to PA (meaning within the past few months)

we also picked up:
Cherry Heering (been out of this for a while--now I can make Blood and Sand and Singapore Slings again!)
Elijah Craig Bourbon
Cinzano rosso vermouth

For any and all Pennsylvania residents, I highly recommend Nathan Lutchansky's incredibly informative blog PLCB Users Group. It's a godsend for anyone who regularly buys liquor in PA.

Postscript: After all this, doesn't my friend call me last night while driving through Maryland to tell me he's at "this amazing liquor store." Arggh. I tell him I just spent a small fortune on liquor two days ago. He mentions Dolin Vermouth, so I say OK, get me a small bottle of Dolin Dry. Then he says into the phone, "What's this? Bulleit Rye?" Aaahhh, damn you! You know that just came out, don't you? And you know I want it. All right, get that. Don't tell me about anything else! I don't want to know.

* for anyone who cares, it's the Fox Chapel store in the Waterfront Plaza (Rumor has it that this is the store where Mario Lemieux used to buy his wine).
Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#75 toolprincess

toolprincess
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

6 bottles of Shocktop beer
Leblon Cachaca
Jack Daniels
Absolut Vodka

#76 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:39 PM

Here is my haul from today

Posted Image

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#77 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 909 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:57 AM

Uh oh, Jeff, your Green Chartreuse is low. ;-)

#78 _john

_john
  • participating member
  • 564 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:05 PM

05052011574.jpg

fairly easy to guess what cocktail I'm studying now.

#79 BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:11 AM

Today I bought Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy and Benedictine to make Honeymoons for the wife. The highlight purchase of the day though was fresh cherries at the farmers market. These bad boys looked like they were about to burst open with juice. After a few jack roses I got into whipping up a fresh cherry gimlet and it turned out amazing first try with a nice balance of sweetness and sour with the gin popping it's head up just enough to excite the tongue. I'm going to use them tonight to make a long drink/punch with gin, benedictine, cherries, lavender, mint, gomme,and lime. I'll top it off with an ounce or two of ginger beer and a nutmeg finish. I hope it works out.

Attached Images

• DSC01994.JPG

#80 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 853 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:57 PM

I grabbed bottles of Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year and Marie Brizard Apry at Astor Wine & Sprits this weekend...two things I haven't be able to find in Illinois in recent years. I probably overpaid (especially considering I had to pay $25 to check my bag on the way home as a result), but for some of the last of the PVW15, I'm sure I'll get over it.
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#81 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:23 PM

Ordered for pickup later in the week. One bottle Plantation Rum 20th Anniversary by Cognac Ferrand. Delicious stuff. Aged first in bourbon barrels, blended and then aged in cognac barrels. Tastiest sipping rum I've had in some time. This bottle is a gift for a friend's 50th birthday along with a pair of nice vintage snifters. Hope he likes it...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#82 BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

Ordered for pickup later in the week. One bottle Plantation Rum 20th Anniversary by Cognac Ferrand. Delicious stuff. Aged first in bourbon barrels, blended and then aged in cognac barrels. Tastiest sipping rum I've had in some time. This bottle is a gift for a friend's 50th birthday along with a pair of nice vintage snifters. Hope he likes it...

...How could he not? Sounds great!

#83 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:58 AM

A large volume of Zhumir Original Aguardiente - I'm going to get a turkey very very drunk....
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#84 campus five

campus five
  • participating member
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:56 PM

A couple recent acquisitions:

Three bottles in my quest to put Eric Seed's kids through college:
1) Rabarbaro Zucca Amaro
2) Cardamaro Vino Amaro
3) Scarlett Ibis

As well as:
4) Miracle Mile Bitters Co: Forbidden Bitters (@ Barkeeper) (their attempt at a Jerry Thomas bitters, sans Snakeroot)
5) Willett 3 year Rye (115.2 proof)

I haven't cracked the Cardamaro yet. Everything else has gotten at least a couple uses.
The bitters have turned out to be outstanding - amazing in an old fashioned.

#85 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

Got my bottle of Fernet Branca. I ordered it and St. Germains but only the Fernet came in today.

Oh, and I grabbed a bottle of Appleton Estate Extra too... but that was a replacement, not an addition.

Edited by Tri2Cook, 13 May 2011 - 02:15 PM.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#86 Dakki

Dakki
  • participating member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:15 PM

The usual bot of Famous Grouse and another of Flor de Cana 5. I thought I'd start to learn to mix rum cocktails tonight.

Unfortunately I locked my keys inside the car in the liquor store parking lot and now I don't feel like learning much of anything.
This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

#87 BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:26 AM

The usual bot of Famous Grouse and another of Flor de Cana 5. I thought I'd start to learn to mix rum cocktails tonight.

Unfortunately I locked my keys inside the car in the liquor store parking lot and now I don't feel like learning much of anything.

When I first started playing with rum I focused hard on pre-prohibition rum cocktails. In my internet searching I ran into the Waikikian. At first I rolled my eyes at the whole tiki drink thing but I made one while I was bored. BOOM! Delicious! I have found that my omakase abilities have gone through the roof since getting a better understanding of tiki drinks. I highly recommend that you add a little tiki in while exploring rum.

Waikikian:

1 1/2 oz lemon juice
1oz G. Marnier or curacao
3/4 oz orgeat
1 1/2 oz white rum
1 1/2 oz dark rum

Get everything except the dark rum into a large tumbler or highball glass. Fill with finely cracked ice and stir well for 45 seconds. Float the dark rum on top and go nut with the garnish (Orange slice, luxardo cherries, canned pineapple pieces).
Careful, it is potent and way to easy to drink.

Edited by BennyAdeline, 15 May 2011 - 10:29 AM.

#88 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:20 AM

New to my local Dan Murphy (Aussie Chain) Santiago de Cuba ron anejo. Haven't mixed with it yet but I had a sip and IMO it's very tasty.
It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#89 Yojimbo

Yojimbo
  • participating member
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:02 PM

Snuck into Astor Wines last week to get the bottle of El Dorado white that I'd passed up the week before (bought Barbancourt 8, a small bottle of green Chartreuse, and a bottle of fino sherry instead). The El D is truly a steal at $13 and has more flavor than I'd ever expected from a white rum.

Alas, they were out of Marie Brizard Apry, so another trip is in order . . .
"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

#90 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

God bless Astor for keeping El Dorado 5 at a reasonable price. About a year ago it inexplicably jumped to about $20/btl in Texas (or at least at the big chain) which makes me very sad. There are so many other rums at $20 to consider. At $13, its a no-brainer.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman