Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What did you buy at the liquor store today?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
556 replies to this topic

#31 Roddy

Roddy
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:50 PM

Just got a bottle of Sea Wynde Jamaica pot still rum. I want to see how it compares to Smith & Cross in some of Dr. Wonderich's punch recipes.
Roddy Rickhouse
Drinks Writer for Frontier Psychiatrist
http://frontpsych.com/

#32 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:06 PM

I had to pick up a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 yr old bourbon since this is my go to bourbon at this time. Nice taste to price ratio. Not cheap but not expensive, kinda middle of the road.

#33 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

A bottle of Grey Goose and a bottle of Old Ezra 101 proof Kentucky Bourbon. I usually buy Maker's Mark, but thought I'd break away this time. Haven't tried the Old Ezra yet.

#34 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Cider. Henney's Dry, Keppler's, Cidre Breton, Weston's Old Rose Scrumpy, Weston's Perry and Ecusson.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#35 chriscook

chriscook
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

Campari, A bottle of Bulleit and one of Old Overholt.

#36 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

Earlier this week, Ardbeg scotch and Henry McKenna bourbon.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#37 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:56 PM

Ardbeg? Good taste, has that man.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#38 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

Bombshell Blonde Ale from Southern Star brewery in Conroe, TX. Currently on sale for the obscenely low price of $4.99/6pk. Ridiculously good brew.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#39 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

A bottle of Sercial Madeira so I can make some trotter gear.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#40 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

A bottle of Luksusowa. I know nothing about it. I already have a grain vodka so I figured I might as well have a potato vodka too. This is the only one available locally (and it only showed up in the local store a few days ago) so, good or bad, I bought it. I'm guessing that, based on common vodka definitions, having both is redundant but it wasn't expensive so I'm not too worried about it.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#41 Boilerfood

Boilerfood
  • participating member
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:47 PM

A bottle of Luksusowa. I know nothing about it. I already have a grain vodka so I figured I might as well have a potato vodka too. This is the only one available locally (and it only showed up in the local store a few days ago) so, good or bad, I bought it. I'm guessing that, based on common vodka definitions, having both is redundant but it wasn't expensive so I'm not too worried about it.

Although I drink vodka only on rare occasions, my roommate's go to drink is a Vespar, and we swear by this stuff. ~$14 around here and you cant tell the difference between this and any of the expensive grain vodkas.

#42 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:52 PM

2008 Gevrey-Chambertin A.C. Vieilles Vignes (Roy Marc)

Savory & James Fino

#43 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:37 PM

Made a trip this afternoon. Got a bottle of Corralejo Blanco Tequila--on closeout for $21! I should have bought the other bottles they had. Also picked up Pimm's No. 1, Ron Bacrcelo Anejo Rum, and Landy Cognac; plus Jim Beam Rye and Beefeater because they were on sale.

A bottle of Luksusowa. I know nothing about it.

Luksusowa is a very good potato vodka, and a good price, too. Worst thing about it is trying to pronounce the name. If you ever see Boyd & Blair up your way, give that a try, too.
Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#44 TAPrice

TAPrice
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

Finally got a bottle of Lemonhart 151. Maybe tomorrow I can take it for a spin.
Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

#45 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:07 PM

Junipero gin.

Not able to find Lemon Hart 151 in San Diego yet so I am considering driving up to LA to grab a few bottles before they disappear.

#46 Dan Perrigan

Dan Perrigan
  • participating member
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:10 AM

Finally got a bottle of Lemonhart 151...

Wow -- it's back!? Anyone see it in the NY/NJ area yet? I didn't see it at Astor Wines last weekend.

Dan

#47 Boilerfood

Boilerfood
  • participating member
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

Wow -- it's back!? Anyone see it in the NY/NJ area yet? I didn't see it at Astor Wines last weekend.

Dan

I was wondering the exact same thing? Does anyone have any news about this?

#48 TAPrice

TAPrice
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:34 PM

The old Lemon Hart 151 is back for a limited time and only in eight states. Mr. "Ministry of Rum" Ed Hamilton is distributing the last of 481 cases of Pernod Ricard stock.

I've heard reports that bars are snapping this up, so not sure how easy it will be to find at stores. I worked out a deal with the local distributor, who sent a bottle over to my grocery store liquor department.

As Wayne Curtis details on his blog Slow Cocktails, once the Pernod Ricard stock is sold out Hamilton will be distributing Lemon Hart 151 with a new label and a different rum inside. The distiller claims the recipe is better than the original. Perhaps I'll regret snapping up one of these old bottles, but I least I now have one on my liquor shelf.
Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

#49 J_Ozzy

J_Ozzy
  • participating member
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

Dan

I was wondering the exact same thing? Does anyone have any news about this?

Ed Hamilton (via Caribbean Spirits) managed to negotiate the release of the last production lot from Walkerville, Ontario. Apparently Mosaiq (brand owner) intends to bring it back to market in the near future, but this will be the last bit for a while.

#50 Boilerfood

Boilerfood
  • participating member
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

The old Lemon Hart 151 is back for a limited time and only in eight states. Mr. "Ministry of Rum" Ed Hamilton is distributing the last of 481 cases of Pernod Ricard stock.

I've heard reports that bars are snapping this up, so not sure how easy it will be to find at stores. I worked out a deal with the local distributor, who sent a bottle over to my grocery store liquor department.

I was able to find some at Hi Time. The guy on the phone said that they have a couple of cases, and didnt realize how rare it was.

#51 Ufamizm

Ufamizm
  • participating member
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:17 AM

The quest for a good everyday scotch continues. This time I ended up with Johnnie Walker Red.

I finally tried Black Bottle today and was pleasantly surprised, one of the better values available. Anytime I taste a blended(with the exception of Compass Box), I automatically expect mediocrity, not the case here. If it's available in your market, I'd recommend trying it.

Hi Roddy. It's good. It won't replace Rittenhouse Bonded for mixing, though, (at least for me) because it's more expensive, lower proof (90), and harder for me to find.

But it's tasty. It's good for sipping and makes a decent Sazerac. I think it's better than Redemption Rye (which I thought was too harsh for sipping) but it's no competition for High West Rendezvous (which has some 16yr old in the mix -- and makes the best Sazerac I've ever had).

Always nice to see more quality ryes on the market -- and at $31/750ml it's not outrageously priced either.

Here in Atlanta, the bars take the allocation for the Rittenhouse Bonded. And even then there isn't enough(we only got 6 bottles for the restaurant the last go-around). A few bottles may slip through but I haven't seen them. Even the 80 is very difficult to obtain at a consumer level. The Bulleit, for my money is one of the better value ryes we can get here (at least so far) with consistency. I love the Rendezvous, but it is a big jump in price here($40 vs. $25). We serve Rendezvous at the restaurant but I have the Bulleit as my day to day at home.

BTW this is my purchase today, mostly restock. Except for the Ramazzotti. Decided to try and incorporate it into a new cocktail (hence the depletions on the bottles already :).
IMG_20110403_042446.jpg

So far have really enjoyed :
1.5 Haymans
1.5 Dolin Dry
.5 Ramazzotti
2 dashes Regans Orange
Absinthe Rinse

#52 Yojimbo

Yojimbo
  • participating member
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

A case of Casal Garcia vinho verde, to which my wife is addicted, and a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB, to which I am addicted. Everyone's happy!
"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

#53 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:27 AM

A six-pack of Sapporo.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#54 kaszeta

kaszeta
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

Domaine de Canton Ginger. For some reason I've been drinking a lot of that.

#55 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

Domaine de Canton Ginger. For some reason I've been drinking a lot of that.

What kinds of cocktails are you making with that? I've always wondered about it, but never have tried it. When I want something with ginger in it, I whip up a batch of a ginger simple syrup.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#56 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:30 PM

I wasn't too keen on it at first, but that Canton has some very interesting traits. It's killer with homemade rhubarb syrup, for example, in a Daiquiri base (white rum and lime, that is).
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#57 Corinna

Corinna
  • participating member
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:42 AM

I wasn't too keen on it at first, but that Canton has some very interesting traits. It's killer with homemade rhubarb syrup, for example, in a Daiquiri base (white rum and lime, that is).

Oh, I can't wait to try this!
Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna
Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

#58 kaszeta

kaszeta
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:13 AM

What kinds of cocktails are you making with that? I've always wondered about it, but never have tried it. When I want something with ginger in it, I whip up a batch of a ginger simple syrup.

Like you, if I'm just craving ginger, I usually either make up some ginger simple syrup, or ginger infused vodka. But like Chris Amirault says, it has some nice subtle notes. Particularly, I use it instead of ginger beer in a dark and stormy. I've also rather enjoyed it in several drink paired with pear juice, or paired with Cynar.

#59 Dan Perrigan

Dan Perrigan
  • participating member
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:17 AM

What kinds of cocktails are you making with that? I've always wondered about it, but never have tried it.

One of my favorite uses is a modification of the "Barnum Was Right" -- sub out half of the Apricot Liqueur for Canton. So...

2 oz Gin
1/2 oz Apricot Liqueur (Apry or R&W Orchard Apricot)
1/2 oz Canton
1/2 oz Lemon
2 dash Angostura

I always associate ginger with sushi, so I call it a "Barnum was Japanese"

Dan

#60 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:22 PM

What kinds of cocktails are you making with that? I've always wondered about it, but never have tried it.

One of my favorite uses is a modification of the "Barnum Was Right" -- sub out half of the Apricot Liqueur for Canton. So...

2 oz Gin
1/2 oz Apricot Liqueur (Apry or R&W Orchard Apricot)
1/2 oz Canton
1/2 oz Lemon
2 dash Angostura

I always associate ginger with sushi, so I call it a "Barnum was Japanese"

Dan

Surprised you don't have the lemon doubled up there, Dan :wink:
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman