Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What did you buy at the liquor store today?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
556 replies to this topic

#511 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

Do you think it's still absurdly good for the price past $25?

#512 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 906 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Well, what's the alternative? $30 Wild Turkey (81 proof)? Or, $40 Templeton (80 proof)?

When the price starts creeping over $25, I'll probably hold my nose and buy it. I wish I could still get it for $10 (after coupon), but those days are gone as stocks plummet. That said, if it climbs much higher, I'll likely start reaching for Willett.
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#513 Yojimbo

Yojimbo
  • participating member
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

I haven't done a side by side taste of Rittenhouse against other, pricier ryes -- would love to hear from anyone who has -- but based on what I've tasted I'd say it'd still be a good buy at $30-35. Let's hope, though, that we don't get there any time soon!
"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

#514 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

The MoCo monopoly has Bulleit rye for some absurdly low price (around $20), so that was my go-to while Rittenhouse was out. I haven't compared them side to side though

#515 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

I have both. Bulleit is a little spicier while Rittenhouse is smoother and deeper/ more complex. I prefer Rittenhouse but it's good to have both for different purposes.

#516 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 683 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

I have both. Bulleit is a little spicier while Rittenhouse is smoother and deeper/ more complex. I prefer Rittenhouse but it's good to have both for different purposes.

Like most categories of whiskey there is a lot of wiggle room in the mashbill, not to mention all the other variables involved. Bulleit and other LDI/MGP ryes are all high rye (95%) and no corn while Rittenhouse is a "barely" legal rye at or near 51% rye with a lot of corn that tends to make it a lot more bourbon-y and adds the sweetness/smoothness (since there is less rye for the spiciness that is characteristic of rye grain) and the "weight" or "mouthfeel" of the spirit for me.

I enjoy both as well but tend to mix more with Rittenhouse or another relatively low rye like baby Saz than Bulleit when a rye is called for unless I am making a drink where I really want rye character to stand out. I should probably experiment more with that notion but since it is typically only me drinking, and generally only on the weekends, it doesn't give me much opportunity to mix a variety of drinks.

At least not if I want to remember any of it the next day...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#517 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

Junipero
Laird's apple brandy

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#518 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

I was able to get a bottle of VanWinkle 12 year old from the PA LCB website. They got their allocation and not one drop made it to the stores. The entire state of Pennsylvania recieved 60 bottles of the 23 year old, 360 of the 20 year old, 480 of the 12 year old and 42 bottles of the ten year old bourbons.

And a grand total of 3 bottles of the rye. Yes, 3 bottles for the entire state of PA. I have heard the rye described as the unicorn of whiskey. Reported to exist, but nobody had ever seen one.

The entire PA allocation was gone withing a couple hours. I was hoping for a bottle of the 20 year old but I was too late. I was informed the 23 year old lasted two minutes with a one bottle max.

Please excuse lousy phone camera picture.

Attached Images

• vanwinkle2.jpg

Edited by lancastermike, 14 November 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#519 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 906 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

I have heard the rye described as the unicorn of whiskey. Reported to exist, but nobody had ever seen one.

This is funny, because in my experience it only appears when you least expect it...out of the corner of your eye.

Most recently, as the proprietress of my favorite wine shops in Paris was wrapping up my purchases I glanced in the direction of their small spirits shelf and found 3 bottles. Every other time I've encountered the VWFRR on the shelf has been under an equally strange set of circumstances.

Edited by KD1191, 14 November 2012 - 09:14 AM.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#520 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Just kicking this out there, but all the Wild Turkey rye I've seen for sale locally is still the 101 stuff. Get shopping, haresfur. Also, I found the Van Winkle 13 year old Old Fashioned Rye for sale in Australia quite a while ago. A store was importing them directly. Bottle is almost done. Wonder if I'll be lucky enough to find a replacement: he only for a couple of bottles in every now and then.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#521 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

I did read reports from them that they were going to cut back on the amount they exported due to the high demand in the US of A

#522 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

With a little (actually, a lot because only one of these is available in Ontario and none locally) of help from my friends, my cabinet now contains a bottle each of Cruzan Black Strap, Lemon Hart 151, Smith & Cross and Coruba rums.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#523 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

Smith & Cross. Drool. It makes every cocktail it goes into outrageously good. Try it in a room-temperature old fashioned (no ice, maybe a bit of water to tame the fire). Superb stuff.

LH 151 is also pretty damn good, and can be diluted to more usable levels.

Black strap...just runs roughshod over everything you introduce it to. I'm honestly wondering what the hell I've managed to do with the 2/3 of the bottle that's no longer there..... Definitely made a few corn n' oils, but that can't account for all of it...

#524 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

Forty Creek Cream Liquor Only available in Ontario at the moment though. head to head tasting it blows baileys out of the water.
"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#525 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

LH 151 is also pretty damn good, and can be diluted to more usable levels.

The LH 151 has a date with Beachbum Berry Remixed. :biggrin:
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#526 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Going through the duty free shop in Heathrow the other day I picked up a couple of bottles of Havana Club which I've never had a chance to try. I saw that they had a bar inside the store and quite a few samples (cognac, scotch, etc) but I was short for time and was not able to take advantage of this. Maybe another time.
And yesterday I was doing my grocery shopping at TJ's and saw Wild Turkey 101 for $17 so I had to get it.

Posted Image

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 19 November 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#527 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Havana Club 7 is not such a big deal, but the 3 años makes good drinks where white rum is needed

#528 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,303 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

finally I get to add something:

Panda brand Shao Xing Rice Wine 7.95 gold label. Chinatown

of note Red label as above is also 7.95

#529 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

Havana Club 7 is not such a big deal, but the 3 años makes good drinks where white rum is needed

I tried the Havana Club 7 last night and although it was not mind-blowing (and I did not expect it to be), it was pretty good for the price.

I can't wait to try the añejo 3 años in a Daiquiri.

#530 richl2214

richl2214
  • participating member
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

2 Bottles of Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr old and 1 bottle of Van Winkle 12 yr old Lot B. Lucky me!

I also picked up a bottle of Masterson's Rye. Not your typical spicy Rye but more sweet and great for an Old Fashioned. Canadian Rye Whiskey made by the same distillers who do Whistlepig and Jefferson and bottled in Sonoma, CA.
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

#531 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

I tried the Havana Club 7 last night and although it was not mind-blowing (and I did not expect it to be), it was pretty good for the price.

I can't wait to try the añejo 3 años in a Daiquiri.

Let me know. When I lived in London it was my go-to for mojitos, but never made a daiquiri out of it (because I didn't have a shaker!)

#532 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

2 Bottles of Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr old and 1 bottle of Van Winkle 12 yr old Lot B. Lucky me!

I also picked up a bottle of Masterson's Rye. Not your typical spicy Rye but more sweet and great for an Old Fashioned. Canadian Rye Whiskey made by the same distillers who do Whistlepig and Jefferson and bottled in Sonoma, CA.

Lucky indeed

#533 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

Stopped by the local LCBO store after work just to see if there was anything other than the usual stuff that's always there. Stumbled across this...

Posted Image

...and decided to try it. 4% abv Ginger Beer. Well under $4... so no big loss if it sucks, maybe an interesting addition to ginger beer containing drinks if it doesn't suck.

#534 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 957 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

I hope Crabbie's doesn't taste lousey.
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#535 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

:biggrin: Me too.

#536 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

:biggrin: Me too.

Depends on your enjoyment of ginger beer but I have been drinking a lot of the Crabbie's lately and don't find it the least bit lousey! Rather enjoyable in fact.

Was an interesting week for me this week. Got an email from my (current) favorite whiskey supplier that a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean was being held for me. I had been the first to approach them inquiring about it and it seems that got me on the top of list. A good thing too I suppose since the allotment was exactly one bottle.

This bourbon was barreled and then aged while strapped to a ship doing ocean research. It was originally rumored that it would cost around $90 and would be available at higher proof but then apparently some barrels got damaged while on the ship and less was available. One bottle (the only one they received by their own report) was sold at auction on K&L for over $1000! Suffice it to say I didn't pay anywhere near that much.

Despite some rather lackluster reviews I have seen (It isn't that it is bad, it's just that it doesn't stand out as special or unique considering the hype and cost, at least in the opinion of those reviewers) and the rather excessive cost (it didn't cost an arm AND a leg! But it did get most of that arm...) I decided to take the plunge. After all at least a little bit of it gets donated to OCEARCH right? Would be nice if they had left a bit more whiskey and a little less water in the bottle but not much I can do about that. No plan to "admire" this bottle, it will get cracked and tasted, probably at Thanksgiving. But it probably won't end up being a cocktail ingredient!

I must say, for a swanky spirit the bottle itself is remarkable mundane. I suppose it is because it is such a limited bottling and perhaps they were trying to save some money on it since they are donating some part of the proceeds to the research organization. But the bottle itself screams "Blue light special! $12.98 on sale!". A simple plastic label is affixed to the surface, complete with an air bubble or two. The ring around the neck that says "special bottling" is crooked and the tag on the side with the UPC is partially torn. Looks like the whole bottle has spent some time at sea...

The Jefferson 18 bottle has raised painted/printed lettering on the bottle. Even the modestly priced Jeff 10yo rye has printed lettering. Oh well, it's whats inside that counts, right?

Jefferson Ocean.JPG

Then a couple of days ago an acquaintance gave me a chance to pick up a bottle of PVW 20. Had been shut out at my primary store so I hadn't expected to get any (although I did get the Jeff Ocean there so hard to complain).

Edited by tanstaafl2, 21 November 2012 - 07:05 PM.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#537 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

Stopped by the local LCBO store after work just to see if there was anything other than the usual stuff that's always there. Stumbled across this...
...and decided to try it. 4% abv Ginger Beer. Well under $4... so no big loss if it sucks, maybe an interesting addition to ginger beer containing drinks if it doesn't suck.

From the label and their website that might not be fermented ginger beer but ginger beer plus vodka.

There are a number of kinds of alcoholic ginger beer available here, which isn't too surprising given the Aussie love of ginger beer and alco-pops. I can't say I've tried them - I reckon if I want alcohol & ginger beer I'd prefer to add rum.

But let us know how it is.
It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#538 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

Today, I picked up a bottle of Death's Door Gin and a bottle of Campari

Yesterday, I bought a bottle of Goslings Black Seal, a bottle of Rittenhouse Bonded Rye, a small bottle of Kahlua, and a four pack of Q Tonic.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#539 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

A big bottle of New Amsterdam #485 gin.

I know. Not that exciting but it makes a decent martini or negroni.

#540 elix

elix
  • participating member
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

A few days ago, I picked up a bottle of Marie Duffau Napoleon Armagnac. I'd heard it was awesome a million times. Now I can verify I heard right: it's awesome. Such a flavorful, smooth sipper. I need to try the Hors d'Age now!