Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Help, I need to buy a real pro shaker

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:15 AM

I'd be inclined to ditch it and replace it. I say this not because I'm rolling in piles of money but purely because if it stuck once, it's likely to stick again after you bust it open and attempt to use it.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#122 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:48 AM

The cap is still firmly stuck.  I have yet to try the vise approach, but I intend to once I find a good way to protect the finish (no rubber bands small enough, though maybe after the next time I buy broccolini).

Kayoko of umamimart kindly credited me with $50 because of the stuck lid, even though you may recall I purchased the Baron in 2013.  She said there have been a number of reports of stuck lids and umamimart would probably discontinue selling the Baron entirely.

My stuck Baron still works as shaker as long as I pour with the Hawthorne...which I also purchased from umamimart.

#123 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:05 PM

If I were in that situation I'd wrap the small cap in thick rubberbands and put it in a vise if one was available, being very careful not to distort it.  Then take the wide part in gloved hands, curse loudly and twist back and forth.

If you don't have a vise, then maybe vise grips or big honkin pipe wrenches.

Tonight I concluded the cap was not going to come off by looking at it.  It took two tries but the vise method finally worked.  Having bought some broccolini I put the blue rubber bands around the cap and fastened the cap in a machine vise that has a jaw with a V notch for holding cylindrical objects.  Sadly the best I was able to do was break a rubber band.

Next, I heated the cap under hot tap water and then put it in the vise -- with the remaining rubber band.  This time the cap came off!  (I omitted using gloves and the language.)

• haresfur likes this

#124 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:26 PM

You'll never guess what happened this morning.  I managed to tilt the larger part of lid of the Baron sideways and wedge it on to the bottom part.  Cold sober.  Which I am not at the moment, thankfully.  My excuse is that I was preoccupied with preparing chicken Tetrazzini.

Hot water didn't work, so I am trying the suggestion of using the expansion of the phase change to ice to force it off.  Thankfully I have a spare Baron.

#125 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:00 PM

GarethLangston's ice trick worked!  I love eGullet.

• GarethLangston and Craig E like this

#126 GarethLangston

GarethLangston
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:50 PM

Glad to have helped.

I've recently switched to a pair of koriko tins, my first real pro shaker. This was pretty much a necessity due to a trapped nerve which means I have to shake one handed with my weaker arm, there was no way I could do this with my previous Boston shaker.

I like them a lot, I'm not sure I'll go back to glass.

#127 Craig E

Craig E
  • participating member
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

I've recently switched to a pair of koriko tins, my first real pro shaker. This was pretty much a necessity due to a trapped nerve which means I have to shake one handed with my weaker arm, there was no way I could do this with my previous Boston shaker.

I like them a lot, I'm not sure I'll go back to glass.

Mine arrive tomorrow!