Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Help, I need to buy a real pro shaker

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#91 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

I'm 6'1" but my hands are not especially large. I CAN one hand shake with the Korikos, but it doesn't feel stable at all.

That Royal set described in that like is 16 and 33 oz, vs 18 and 28 of the Koriko, so I will definitely keep an eye out

#92 eje

eje
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

I've always nominally preferred the Naranja tins to the Koriko for one handed shaking. The diameter is slightly smaller.

They still carry them at Umamimart.

Umamimart Barware

---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#93 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

Umamimart has posted photographs and a video of artisans making Baron shakers in the Yukiwa factory:

http://umamimart.com...actory-niigata/

It warmed my heart that in addition to their beautiful barware, Yukiwa manufactures precision ice cream scoops.  I am hoping umamimart may see fit to import the line.  Meanwhile I have another order from umamimart making its way to me across the Rockies, including a strainer from Yukiwa and a lovely yarai mixing glass:

http://shop.umamimar...-yarai-seamless

Rafa, did you ever replace your departed mixing glass?  Not to get too far off topic, I've been reading Charles H. Baker Jr.  Baker specifies silver as the material of choice for a shaker.  I have been using my silver Baron daily and I cannot recommend it highly enough.  I note however that Baker, like Sherlock Holmes, identifies as an amateur.

Though I believe Jerry Thomas was into silver also.

• Rafa likes this

#94 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 744 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:57 AM

I did indeed invest in a real pro shaker, and a few nights ago I shook up a drink in my Korikos in honor of our dear departed founder and OP. 

• haresfur and Hassouni like this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#95 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,215 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

I did indeed invest in a real pro shaker, and a few nights ago I shook up a drink in my Korikos in honor of our dear departed founder and OP. 

Nice honour!  How did you like the shaker compared to what you used to use?

#96 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 744 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

Honestly, the differences are slight, but for the better. The seal is excellent, but easy to break. The stainless steel looks great. I've used these at work before, but they're a marked improvement over my dear departed tins from Target.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#97 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

I dunno. I've used every style of boston shaker out there (glass and all metal) and nothing seals as consistently as the korikos. I on the other hand find the seal hard to break.

Fun story, I was making a cocktail for a friend, put a non koriko large tin on the small one, gave it a securing slap, went to shake, and....

....no seal whatsoever. Half the drink went on me and the floor. That, ladies and gents, is why you shake w the rim of the large shaker facing you!

#98 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

A couple of months ago one of my colleagues was looking for help to buy a cobbler shaker.  One had already been purchased by the time I learned of her need.

Yesterday she asked again for my recommendation.  Since, she said, the first one broke.

I may not be a pro but the Barron is is daily use and gives much joy each and every time I shake with it...except, possibly, for the frostbite.  Even if, for some reason or other, the drink itself does not.  I don't even mind a little tarnish.

#99 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:09 PM

So, I was in NY this weekend and popped in at Betony on 57th St, where my friend is a bartender. He has a wicked one-handed style of shaking with Korikos, which I'll have to practice, but also manages to open the shakers with a very gratifying POP, using what seemed to be only one hand. Anybody else pull this off, and if so, wanna teach me?  :biggrin:

#100 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:59 PM

I could get used to that Yarai glass cobbler though....yum.

At the moment umamimart has the yarai glass cobbler on sale for $88 plus an additional 15% off on top of that.  I thought hard about the yarai glass cobbler, but I passed on it in favor of a bunch of other stuff.  I shouldn't talk about tea here.

#101 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:08 PM

Alas, I may need to buy another real pro shaker -- the little lid of my lovely Baron is wedged on tight and I cannot get it off.  The plan is of course to buy another Baron (or two), but meanwhile does anyone have an idea how I might get the old lid off?  I tried hot water.  I might try soaking it overnight.

#102 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,215 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

Alas, I may need to buy another real pro shaker -- the little lid of my lovely Baron is wedged on tight and I cannot get it off.  The plan is of course to buy another Baron (or two), but meanwhile does anyone have an idea how I might get the old lid off?  I tried hot water.  I might try soaking it overnight.

Cold inside, hot outside? Ah wait - you probably can't get inside.  Which part is jammed?

Edited by Kerry Beal, 09 March 2015 - 07:26 PM.

#103 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:46 PM

If you insist on a cobbler shaker, I'd suggest the Usagi from CK. Everything they make is magic. Of course, I'd still recommend two metal tins above anything else.

#104 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:37 PM

Cold inside, hot outside? Ah wait - you probably can't get inside.  Which part is jammed?

Thanks, Kerry, but I tried that!  The part that is jammed is the small lid.  The bigger lid comes off OK.

Hassouni, the silver Baron is too much a part of me.  I use mine essentially every day, to the detriment of limes everywhere.  It is beautiful as well as functional.  I have ordered another one.  (And may it get here quickly.)  Even if I eventually get the lid off the one I have, one can do worse than having two silver Barons.

So far the best I have done is to hurt my hand.  I have yet to try boiling water, but I am about to.

#105 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:23 AM

Strap wrench.  Get 2 - one for each half set twist in opposite directions. And heat.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#106 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:42 AM

I have a tool somewhat similar to this but was afraid of ruining the silver plating.  As a last resort I was thinking of putting the recalcitrant lid in a vise and having at it.

#107 GarethLangston

GarethLangston
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:15 AM

I'm not sure this is the best idea if you value the shaker, but I filled an old stuck shaker with water and popped it in the freezer until the lid was forced off by the ice.

#108 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:36 AM

I'm not sure this is the best idea if you value the shaker, but I filled an old stuck shaker with water and popped it in the freezer until the lid was forced off by the ice.

Unfortunately I think the ice would just force off the larger lid and not the small lid which is stuck.

#109 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 980 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:42 AM

Unfortunately I think the ice would just force off the larger lid and not the small lid which is stuck.

Are the holes in the strainer large enough that you could put something (a skewer, chopsticks, etc.) through and push on the lid from the inside? Might take quite a bit of force, but at least any damage would be on the inside.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#110 cyalexa

cyalexa
  • participating member
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:58 PM

Try some wd40. 

#111 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:05 PM

The holes are too small for chopsticks (besides, I think I would just ruin the chopsticks in trying).  I have some solvent for loosening things like screws that I intend to try once my replacement Baron gets here, which should be tomorrow...or today, depending on when this post comes through.

In the meantime my Hawthorne strainer fits perfectly -- which should be expected since they are made by the same company.  The Hawthorne is not silver, however, and Jerry Thomas would be offended.

#112 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,129 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:03 PM

So you're saying that the small cap is stuck to the strainer?  What I would do is hold it sideways and place side of the cap part against the counter.  Then give it a decent "karate chop" with your hand.  This should be enough to loosen things up.  Another thing you could do is put the end of a broad standard screwdriver (wrap it in a paper towel if you're worried about scratches) against the side of the strainer "nipple" underneath the cap and rotate it to force the cap up.

Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#113 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:30 PM

Sadly, the little lid is still stuck.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  Umamimart has given me wonderful customer support, but I ordered and received another Baron from a different vendor since umamimart no longer carries the Baron in silver.  I suspect stainless steel and gold would have Jerry rolling in his grave.

My new Baron is matt silver rather than polished silver, but they are both beautiful.  I can report the new Baron made an excellent zombie tonight!

I still have some more aggressive techniques to try.

#114 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:08 PM

Heat just the small cap over the flame of your range. I bet it will come off, assuming you can pull on it without burning yourself. Always works with stuck car parts.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#115 Anna N

Anna N
  • 7,294 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:23 AM

Heat just the small cap over the flame of your range. I bet it will come off, assuming you can pull on it without burning yourself. Always works with stuck car parts.

This must be a very common problem. Kerry Beal and I have come across so many of them in thrift stores. Beautiful cocktail shakers but useless because the small cap is immovable.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Never call a stomach a tummy without good reason.” William Strunk Jr., The Elements of Style

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#116 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:52 AM

This must be a very common problem. Kerry Beal and I have come across so many of them in thrift stores. Beautiful cocktail shakers but useless because the small cap is immovable.

Ko

Ri

Ko

!

• Fernet-Bronco likes this

#117 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:53 AM

Sadly, no results so far.  I had high hopes for screwloose penetrant, but no success with that. 

#118 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:46 AM

Mine did the same and came loose in a couple of days.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#119 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:21 PM

Did you do anything to it?

#120 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:03 AM

If I were in that situation I'd wrap the small cap in thick rubberbands and put it in a vise if one was available, being very careful not to distort it.  Then take the wide part in gloved hands, curse loudly and twist back and forth.

If you don't have a vise, then maybe vise grips or big honkin pipe wrenches.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.