Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Help, I need to buy a real pro shaker

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#91 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

I'm 6'1" but my hands are not especially large. I CAN one hand shake with the Korikos, but it doesn't feel stable at all.

That Royal set described in that like is 16 and 33 oz, vs 18 and 28 of the Koriko, so I will definitely keep an eye out

#92 eje

eje
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

I've always nominally preferred the Naranja tins to the Koriko for one handed shaking. The diameter is slightly smaller.

They still carry them at Umamimart.

Umamimart Barware

---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#93 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

Umamimart has posted photographs and a video of artisans making Baron shakers in the Yukiwa factory:

http://umamimart.com...actory-niigata/

It warmed my heart that in addition to their beautiful barware, Yukiwa manufactures precision ice cream scoops.  I am hoping umamimart may see fit to import the line.  Meanwhile I have another order from umamimart making its way to me across the Rockies, including a strainer from Yukiwa and a lovely yarai mixing glass:

http://shop.umamimar...-yarai-seamless

Rafa, did you ever replace your departed mixing glass?  Not to get too far off topic, I've been reading Charles H. Baker Jr.  Baker specifies silver as the material of choice for a shaker.  I have been using my silver Baron daily and I cannot recommend it highly enough.  I note however that Baker, like Sherlock Holmes, identifies as an amateur.

Though I believe Jerry Thomas was into silver also.

• Rafa likes this

#94 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:57 AM

I did indeed invest in a real pro shaker, and a few nights ago I shook up a drink in my Korikos in honor of our dear departed founder and OP. 

• haresfur and Hassouni like this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#95 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,285 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

I did indeed invest in a real pro shaker, and a few nights ago I shook up a drink in my Korikos in honor of our dear departed founder and OP. 

Nice honour!  How did you like the shaker compared to what you used to use?

#96 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

Honestly, the differences are slight, but for the better. The seal is excellent, but easy to break. The stainless steel looks great. I've used these at work before, but they're a marked improvement over my dear departed tins from Target.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#97 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

I dunno. I've used every style of boston shaker out there (glass and all metal) and nothing seals as consistently as the korikos. I on the other hand find the seal hard to break.

Fun story, I was making a cocktail for a friend, put a non koriko large tin on the small one, gave it a securing slap, went to shake, and....

....no seal whatsoever. Half the drink went on me and the floor. That, ladies and gents, is why you shake w the rim of the large shaker facing you!

#98 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

A couple of months ago one of my colleagues was looking for help to buy a cobbler shaker.  One had already been purchased by the time I learned of her need.

Yesterday she asked again for my recommendation.  Since, she said, the first one broke.

I may not be a pro but the Barron is is daily use and gives much joy each and every time I shake with it...except, possibly, for the frostbite.  Even if, for some reason or other, the drink itself does not.  I don't even mind a little tarnish.

#99 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:09 PM

So, I was in NY this weekend and popped in at Betony on 57th St, where my friend is a bartender. He has a wicked one-handed style of shaking with Korikos, which I'll have to practice, but also manages to open the shakers with a very gratifying POP, using what seemed to be only one hand. Anybody else pull this off, and if so, wanna teach me?  :biggrin: