Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Help, I need to buy a real pro shaker

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#91 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

I'm 6'1" but my hands are not especially large. I CAN one hand shake with the Korikos, but it doesn't feel stable at all.

That Royal set described in that like is 16 and 33 oz, vs 18 and 28 of the Koriko, so I will definitely keep an eye out

#92 eje

eje
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

I've always nominally preferred the Naranja tins to the Koriko for one handed shaking. The diameter is slightly smaller.

They still carry them at Umamimart.

Umamimart Barware

---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#93 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 932 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:55 PM

Umamimart has posted photographs and a video of artisans making Baron shakers in the Yukiwa factory:

http://umamimart.com...actory-niigata/

It warmed my heart that in addition to their beautiful barware, Yukiwa manufactures precision ice cream scoops.  I am hoping umamimart may see fit to import the line.  Meanwhile I have another order from umamimart making its way to me across the Rockies, including a strainer from Yukiwa and a lovely yarai mixing glass:

http://shop.umamimar...-yarai-seamless

Rafa, did you ever replace your departed mixing glass?  Not to get too far off topic, I've been reading Charles H. Baker Jr.  Baker specifies silver as the material of choice for a shaker.  I have been using my silver Baron daily and I cannot recommend it highly enough.  I note however that Baker, like Sherlock Holmes, identifies as an amateur.

Though I believe Jerry Thomas was into silver also.

• Rafa likes this

#94 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 524 posts

Posted Today, 05:57 AM

I did indeed invest in a real pro shaker, and a few nights ago I shook up a drink in my Korikos in honor of our dear departed founder and OP. 

• Hassouni likes this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937