Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Salad

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#211 Sophie Cook

Sophie Cook
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

Here's a photo of a recent watermelon salad I made. Perfect in Summer! 

You can read the recipe here.

waterffff1-672x372.jpg

• FauxPas and Shelby like this

email: sophie@cookscook.co.uk

twitter: cookscookuk instagram: cookscookuk

#212 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,286 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

I like salads and often like to include something like avocado, pickled roasted beets, palm hearts or canned or marinated artichoke hearts. The other day I made my version of chicken mei fun and opened a can of bamboo shoots which I do reluctantly because I usually end up throwing the rest of the can away a few days later. This time I drained the unused shoots and put them in a container with vinegar based salad dressing to cover. The next day I included them in the corn and tomato salad I brought to work for lunch. I love the texture and flavor and will not be throwing  them away again.

HC

Neat idea. Thanks for sharing. Going to file it away and hope I can retrieve it at the appropriate time.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#213 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

Here's a photo of a recent watermelon salad I made. Perfect in Summer! 

You can read the recipe here.

waterffff1-672x372.jpg

This looks delicious, Sophie!  I have a big, fat watermelon in the garden that is about ripe.  I will make this!  

#214 FauxPas

FauxPas
  • participating member
  • 329 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

Salad of baby greens with fennel, celery, bacon, apple, pecans and a caramelized apple vinaigrette. Posted here on Apple thread also, but thought it fit well here also. Based on a recipe at Food52

IMGP3058.JPG

• Shelby likes this

#215 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

Okay Im half joking half serious here...

I love salads! I eat one every day, but I sometimes dont want all that crunching and chewing. its too much at times. Salads take a long time to eat.

Has anyone ever juiced a salad?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#216 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

Also these Dole Chopped Salads need to be eaten with a large spoon. They cannot be eaten with a fork.

http://wincofoods.co...oppedBlends.jpg

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#217 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:24 PM

FauxPas - nice-looking salad, very autumn-like with the apples and the nuts.

Summer is still in full swing in San Diego. Yesterday I made this quick salad for a picnic with baby tomatoes, grilled corn, feta, tarragon (homegrown). The dressing was kalamata olive oil with sherry & red wine vinegars, and plenty of back pepper.

14915446197_f735a8c8e6_z.jpg

Today for lunch I had this one with heirloom tomatoes, avocado, feta, tarragon, olive oil, red wine vinegar (and a glass of Zaca Mesa Chardonnay).

15110774392_49062549de_z.jpg

• FauxPas and Shelby like this