Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Salad

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#61 pastameshugana

pastameshugana
  • society donor
  • 407 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:12 PM

Ok, dcarch, now you're playing with my head! That has to be one of the most spectacularly composed salad plates I've ever seen. My brain was tripping as one half was convinced the watermelons were cropped by the edge of the photo, and the other half was trying to decide if it could convince the wife to buy square salad plates just for the sake of making a salad like that.

Beautiful!

Posted Image

PastaMeshugana
"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."
"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father
My eG Food Blog (2011)

#62 rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject
  • participating member
  • 777 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:02 PM

Posted also on the Dinner thread, but, it's a salad!

A very juicy and tasty Thai salad of: prawns, crispy roast pork, pomelo, mint, cashews, shredded ginger, chilli, and shallot. Dressed in fish sauce and lime juice, topped with crispy fried garlic and shallots, and served with prawn crackers for scooping.

2011-04-20 at 19.06.30.jpg

#63 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

016.JPG
Insalata di funghi -- oyster mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, red leaf lettuce, extra-virgin olive oil, shaved Parmesan cheese, sea salt, black pepper

Takes about 10 minutes to make.

#64 TheTInCook

TheTInCook
  • participating member
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:07 PM

Insalata di funghi -- oyster mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, red leaf lettuce, extra-virgin olive oil, shaved Parmesan cheese, sea salt, black pepper

Are the mushrooms raw? I was taught that you're supposed to always cook shitakes because they can give some people a rash.

At this one tapas place I worked, I used to do a composed salad of roasted beets, goat cheese, and I think it was arugula or baby green mix. Pretty normal sounding right? Well, their were two kickers; a little drizzle of reduced beet juice, and on the bottom of the plate there was a smear of roasted beet/balsamic/brown butter puree. IIRC the dressing was a sherry vin.

#65 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:42 AM

Are the mushrooms raw? I was taught that you're supposed to always cook shitakes because they can give some people a rash.

At this one tapas place I worked, I used to do a composed salad of roasted beets, goat cheese, and I think it was arugula or baby green mix. Pretty normal sounding right? Well, their were two kickers; a little drizzle of reduced beet juice, and on the bottom of the plate there was a smear of roasted beet/balsamic/brown butter puree. IIRC the dressing was a sherry vin.

Yes, they're raw.

I had this salad last night and I'm fine. But then, everyone is different. You can omit them entirely ... it will taste just as delicious.

#66 BeeZee

BeeZee
  • participating member
  • 548 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:04 AM

I've found in those bagged salads (yes, they aren't ideal, but sometimes convenience is important) that when I get "that smell" there's usually a couple of slimy leaves mixed in somewhere. Shake the contents out and you'll find the offensive ones. Often they are stuck to the sides of the bags because of moisture.
"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

#67 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:11 AM

Posted also on the Dinner thread, but, it's a salad!

A very juicy and tasty Thai salad of: prawns, crispy roast pork, pomelo, mint, cashews, shredded ginger, chilli, and shallot. Dressed in fish sauce and lime juice, topped with crispy fried garlic and shallots, and served with prawn crackers for scooping.

2011-04-20 at 19.06.30.jpg

I have never seen a salad that got me salivating like this one. :laugh:
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#68 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:29 PM

That whiff mostly seems to come from the redleaf lettuce in the mix, which goes to slime faster than the other components. It can be picked out, and the rest of the bag rinsed,but who wants to do that? YMMV
"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

#69 FauxPas

FauxPas
  • participating member
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

I love pomegranate seeds in salads. I like to make a baby spinach salad with sliced pears, walnuts and pom seeds on top, maybe some feta or a soft goat cheese or blue cheese crumbled on top. I make a vinaigrette with juice from some of the seeds and mixed with olive oil, lemon juice, honey and pepper.

I also like a warm potato salad with baby potatoes and lightly cooked green beans, mixed with halved cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, diced onion and a touch of oil and balsamic vinegar.

#70 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:37 PM

A simple tomato salad

dcarch

Posted Image

#71 bmdaniel

bmdaniel
  • participating member
  • 482 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

Tonight I made a SV asparagus, shallot, goat cheese and marcona almond salad with sherry vinaigrette - apologies for the terrible picture (but it was tasty).

010 (1280x839).jpg

#72 rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject
  • participating member
  • 777 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:56 PM

Tonight I made a SV asparagus, shallot, goat cheese and marcona almond salad with sherry vinaigrette - apologies for the terrible picture (but it was tasty).

Beautiful! This kind of salad is right up my alley; how long did you SV the asparagus, and at what temp?

Edited by rarerollingobject, 27 May 2011 - 08:57 PM.

#73 bmdaniel

bmdaniel
  • participating member
  • 482 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

15 minutes at 180F per MC (well, MC suggests 185F but my SV rig topped out at 180), then straight into an ice bath until chilled. Texture and flavor was very nice for the salad.

Just occurred to try bagging with the vinaigrette - might try that next time.

#74 rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject
  • participating member
  • 777 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:30 AM

A raw beetroot salad (chioggia and standard), with mandarin juice, hazelnut oil and feta:

2011-06-05 at 19.41.29.jpg

#75 Jenni

Jenni
  • participating member
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

Wowee that looks good! I notice you used hazel oil...I'm wondering what a few actual toasted hazel nut pieces would be like tossed into the mix. Must make this immediately!

#76 rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject
  • participating member
  • 777 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

Wowee that looks good! I notice you used hazel oil...I'm wondering what a few actual toasted hazel nut pieces would be like tossed into the mix. Must make this immediately!

Yes, that had been the plan..roasted hazelnut pieces scattered on top. But when I went to find the hazelnuts I was sure I had, the gremlins had disapparated them. Likewise the mint I'd been planning to garnish with! Hehe. I did scrounge up a few walnuts in the end though (post photo), which was nice enough.

#77 Jenni

Jenni
  • participating member
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:05 AM

Oo, mint, yes that would also be excellent.

#78 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

078.JPG
Oyster mushroom, bacon and heirloom potato salad, with fresh wild turkey eggs, pea shoot flowers, and herb vinaigrette

#79 kayb

kayb
  • society donor
  • 899 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:21 PM

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, the purple pea shoot flowers knock me back! Rest of it looks pretty wonderful, too. How cool it is when your food is beautiful....
Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

#80 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:27 PM

That is simply a fantastic looking salad.

I've been photographing all my salads but have been ashamed to post the photos -- they're all the same as the ugly ones I've posted already. I need to break out of my rut.

I thought the most beautiful salads I'd ever seen were at Alain Ducasse's restaurants (I'd hate to work the garde manger station at one of his places). But some of these are giving him a run for his money. I need to post photos of some of his salads. Let me see if there are any in a media gallery that I can get permission for.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#81 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

Thanks guys.

Steven, I'd be really interested in seeing AD's material. Here's hoping.

#82 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

I've got an email in to Sonja, the Ducasse representative I've communicated with in the past. I hope she can get me some images.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#83 heidih

heidih
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

I roughly grated the beets in this post and dressed with a bit of minced garlic, salt & pepper, fresh squeeze of orange juice, dash of balsamic and Dijon mustard, walnut oil, and a dice of Italian plums. I had originally intended to roast the beets but when I took a knife to them they were so tender I thought I would try my first raw preparation. I have eaten quite a bit while adjusting flavors. The rest will sit overnight and get perhaps some mint and feta and toasted walnuts when served tomorrow.

DSCN1053.JPG

Edited by heidih, 19 June 2011 - 06:09 PM.
forgot the walnut oil

#84 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

Hi all --

Perfect timing for this thread getting bumped, since I had a really yummy salad for dinner tonight. Mixed spicy greens (arugula, mustard green sprouts, etc), avocado, hard boiled egg, shredded carrot, and homemade pancetta. Dressed with the oil from rendering the pancetta and some lime juice. Husband declared the pancetta oil a major winner.

Attached Images

• Salad.JPG

#85 heidih

heidih
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:38 PM

No picture as I assembled it on site and the ladies fell upon it! I picked up some "wild arugula" from Trader Joes. Small leaves and not bitter at all really. A bed of that went into the bottom of a large salad bowl. Chopped tomato, cucumber (from the garden), very thinly sliced (horizontally) raw green beans (farmstand), raw corn kernels from very young farmstand ear, and a few dried cranberries went over the arugula. The dressing was a simple Meyer lemon juice and zest with olive oil and a touch of Dijon and a hint of Rancho Gordo's amazing piloncillo. Salt and pepper as needed. Made some big croutons from a rustic loaf of a sourdough multigrain loaf. Topped the salad with the croutons, some toasted and spiced walnuts and a generous amount of crumbled feta.

Verdict: thoroughly enjoyable. I had never tried the raw green beans and found the green note and the crunch a great mix with the other ingredients. The croutons were a bit too large to spear with a fork but it was a bunch of good friends so fingers were employed.

#86 bmdaniel

bmdaniel
  • participating member
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:39 PM

Ugly picture, delicious salad:

IMG-20110708-00050.jpg

Curry roasted cauliflower, pickled red onion, creamy feta, slivered almonds, flat leaf parsley, sherry vinaigrette. Will definitely make again.

#87 Catherine Iino

Catherine Iino
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:44 PM

Okay, I have to show off this one. My daughter and some friends caught about a dozen blue crabs the other day near our summer house in Rhode Island. The cupboard is pretty bare, but I did have a couple of peppers; lettuce, red shiso, and johnny jump-ups in the garden; and some garlic and olive oil. The shiso was a nice flavor with the crab. If I had had mayonnaise or the makings thereof, I probably would have used it, but this tasted so light and fresh without it that I'm glad I didn't.

Attached Images

• IMG_1024.JPG

#88 LizD518

LizD518
  • participating member
  • 420 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

Inspired by the salad at my favorite burrito place: El Diablo, I came up with a pretty good version of a salad with southwestern influence.

Romaine lettuce mix with carrots and red cabbage
roasted corn & black bean salsa, from Trader Joes
Diced tomatoes
diced avocado
Home made green chile dressing: Mayo, yogurt, serrano pepper, cumin, oregano, ancho, cayenne & garlic
Southwest chicken breast: Bone-in breasts braised in chicken stock, with southwest seasonings. Sauce for chicken made by reducing braising liquid and adding a bit of bbq sauce, tomato paste & chipotle.

#89 Nicolai

Nicolai
  • participating member
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

Buffalo Mozzarella and home-grown Great White and Green Zebra tomatoes

dcarch

Posted Image

This is not a salad but a work of Art with a beautiful color tonality and smooth texture.

Can I have a Poster size for my dining room please :cool:
muhamara.com

#90 eldereno

eldereno
  • society donor
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:40 PM

THAT realy would be a great photo to put on my Dining Room wall! I want one, too!!!!
Donna