Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Great Freezer Cleanout: 2011

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#61 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,449 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

Seriously, I think I have like ten gallons of the stuff.

Cook it down and make demi - takes up much less room.

Oops - realize if I'd read the whole thread before posting that I'm not the only person who had this idea!

Edited by Kerry Beal, 15 March 2011 - 08:22 PM.

#62 AnneN

AnneN
  • society donor
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:52 AM

I'm trying to really make this freezer clean out work. Yesterdaym, I cleaned out one freezer and today I will organize the other. Tonight for dinner we will have Chicken Vesuvio using frozen chicken and artichokes. I found some frozen shrimp that have a use by date of Feb 2010; I think I should toss those! I'm going to use other frozen shrimp for lunch perhaps with chickpeas in a salad. Tings are looking better already!
Anne Napolitano
Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

#63 sparrowgrass

sparrowgrass
  • participating member
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

Naguere, I AM lucky, but I am NOT a guy!! :laugh: :laugh

I tease the producer of the beef--I tell him that I ate some of his 'stringy Mexican beef' for dinner! Last night it was stuffed peppers, using the last of the green peppers and some of that tomato sauce I canned. Delish!!
sparrowgrass

#64 rebecca

rebecca
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:12 PM

and a random huge bag of sesame seeds. Any recomendations for that one?

tahini, honey sesame bars, honey sesame chicken

Those sound awesome! I had never thought to make my own tahini! I guess that means it is time for a recipe finding mission... Thanks!

#65 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:56 AM

Sorry -- got waylaid by a couple of cooking projects, so I'm a bit behind. What are the rest of you up to?
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#66 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:07 PM

Yesterday DH and I did the impossible dog freezer. Yes, our dogs have that much frozen meat and stuff. Took all of five minutes. And it had been put off about 3 weeks as DH obsessed was busy with his latest reno project.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#67 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:08 PM

yeah, that happens to me too :-)

Last night I made a prime beef steak I found in the freezer, along with pan fried baby garlic and a huge amount of fresh kale, chard, etc that I sauteed down with lots of garlic, an onion and some wood ears I had in the freezer. Some self pickled mini onions (made from frozen pearl onions). So a good load of frozen stuff was used, though a 2nd steak would have been nice.

I realized that I have less meat than I though, still have to dig through the chest freezer, I know there's frozen ground beef and pork in there from when I bought parts of those animals (and got way too much ground meat). Also have some chicken thighs. Some fish, and some odd things - beef liver and heart, a goat liver, an octopus, frog legs, not sure how much of that my family is willing to touch, but I'll make something with it nonetheless.
"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

#68 Corinna

Corinna
  • participating member
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:08 PM

I made the venison & ale pie for St. Paddy's Day and we just finished it last night. I am diligently collecting recipes for lamb, and am finding myself especially drawn to grilled preparations. The rest of the menu plans are still in place. It will take a little time to execute them all since most of my ideas are a little ambitious for the time I have available. I will enjoy it when I get the chance though!
Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna
Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

#69 Dakki

Dakki
  • participating member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:23 PM

I have a 2 kilo box of frozen squid I'd somehow forgotten about. That's a lot of calamari for a single dude.

In other news, I've gotten this far without buying anything but imbibables (is that even a word?), bread, and tortillas, none of which I think should count, because I go through a lot of drinks in a week and bread and tortillas pretty much have to be fresh. However, I ate the last bit of non-blue cheese in the house today so I might have to cheat a little and get some.
This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

#70 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:24 PM

All righty then: I've cleaned out three loaves of challah, a massive batch of beef stew, some gumbo, a package of beef marrow, some lardons, and a couple of pounds of dent corn that I limed, ground, and made into tortillas. Still thinking about what to do with that stock.

How about y'all?
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#71 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

Latest of a long drawdown: 2 lb of frozen strawberries and raspberries, from which I made coulis, some of which went to garnishing the angel cake with bitter chocolate glaze made from 1 2/3 cup frozen egg whites and odds and ends of frozen chocolate.

#72 helenjp

helenjp
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

With a smaller freezer, even small items can waste space: "one left over" grilled salt salmon steak, 1 chicken fillet, etc. I rarely cook for one, so when it's use-up time, making them into some kind of topping for rice is about as far as it gets.

#73 Corinna

Corinna
  • participating member
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:15 AM

In the past week, I've prepared venison tenderloin with a couple different, uninspiring sauces. It was kinda disappointing, but at least they aren't in the freezer anymore.
Yesterday, porcupine meatballs (see the Dinner! thread) made with the last package of ground venison. Delicious!
Cubed a couple lamb shoulder chops and put them in a yogurt marinade for Ina's grilled lamb kebabs recipe. I'm going to grill this weekend-- regardless of what the weather decided to do. It's April, for pete's sake!

Edited by Corinna, 01 April 2011 - 05:17 AM.

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna
Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

#74 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,449 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:03 AM

Need to do something with the turkey that's languishing and taking up all the space in my upright. And the 3 litres of high brix ice wine juice that's in there. I should probably either thaw and package in smaller, more manageable containers, or perhaps boil down to concentrate and make a syrup.

#75 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:32 AM

Need to do something with the turkey that's languishing and taking up all the space in my upright. And the 3 litres of high brix ice wine juice that's in there. I should probably either thaw and package in smaller, more manageable containers, or perhaps boil down to concentrate and make a syrup.

That sounds like ice wine vinegar waiting to happen...
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#76 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,449 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:42 AM

That sounds like ice wine vinegar waiting to happen...

But I'd have to ferment it first right? So that would be ice wine!!!!

#77 heidih

heidih
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:51 AM

I vote for syrup. Really concentrates and lasts forever.

#78 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 6,243 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:18 AM

After debating for some days as to what I might do with a couple of beef (lamb? who could tell... the inside of the bag was covered in frost) bones, I just pulled them out of the oven to make some stock.

They're foam paint rollers.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#79 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

After debating for some days as to what I might do with a couple of beef (lamb? who could tell... the inside of the bag was covered in frost) bones, I just pulled them out of the oven to make some stock.
They're foam paint rollers.

Gotta love it. Had a couple in the back of my fridge for a while so I know where you are coming from. :rolleyes:

Edited to try to fix quote function

Edited by Anna N, 01 April 2011 - 10:41 AM.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#80 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:21 AM

I made some mexican style chicken from frozen thighs this week, now I'm getting to the more odd stuff, like a beef heart, a beef liver, duck tongues, 4 partridges and 6 golden quail. Some Salmon is in there too and some ground beef and pork. One or two chicken as well. I hoping to get to some of the birds tomorrow or on Sunday. I need to make room as I have a half lamb coming in mid May...
"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

#81 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:41 AM

I made some mexican style chicken from frozen thighs this week, now I'm getting to the more odd stuff, like a beef heart, a beef liver, duck tongues, 4 partridges and 6 golden quail. Some Salmon is in there too and some ground beef and pork. One or two chicken as well. I hoping to get to some of the birds tomorrow or on Sunday. I need to make room as I have a half lamb coming in mid May...

Almost a song: The Twelve Days of April...

I have to say that for the first time in my life, my freezers contain no surprises at all. They are organized at last. Amazing!!!! :wub:
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#82 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

... many condiments and booze were buried just waiting to be rediscovered. Found three partial bottles of lemoncello in the back of downstairs freezer, not to mention how many bottles of alcoholic lemonade, ice tea, and various beer brands were leftover from parties. For me, it is now time for a Great Booze Cleanout 2011!

Party at llc45's house!
I'll bring my stash of "we couldnt fit it into the moving van" bottles - 3 big boxes of them, gifted by relocating friends.
"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

#83 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:54 PM

{SNIPPY}

I'll bring my stash of "we couldnt fit it into the moving van" bottles - 3 big boxes of them, gifted by relocating friends.

I'm sorry. I don't quite, errrrm, understand.... :blink:

Please explain the concept of "couldn't fit bottles (of alcohol) into the moving van"??? Those go in the trunk, baby, well cushioned, so they don't leak or break ! :raz: :raz:
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#84 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:14 AM

Little help? I've got three 8 x 8 sheets of store-bought puff pastry in my freezer, and no upcoming parties that require hors d'oeuvres. Any suggestions, aside from pot pie?
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#85 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,449 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:46 AM

Little help? I've got three 8 x 8 sheets of store-bought puff pastry in my freezer, and no upcoming parties that require hors d'oeuvres. Any suggestions, aside from pot pie?

There was a recipe from Dori's book with mustard and puff pastry as I recall - kind of a mustard cheese straw without the cheese. Wouldn't have to be an hors d'oeuvers - could be just a snack!

#86 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:10 AM

Or savory turnovers?

Made the second-to-last batch of jaegerwurst last night, served with grilled cheese using a loaf of bread I found in the fridge.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#87 DanM

DanM
  • participating member
  • 870 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:18 AM

Guild the lily a bit and wrap it around some hot dogs or sausages. A little mustard inside is a nice addition.

I was cleaning out the freezer a couple of weeks back and found some leftover turkey in a vac bag.... from Thanksgiving 2009! :blink:
"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

#88 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:36 AM

Guild the lily a bit and wrap it around some hot dogs or sausages. A little mustard inside is a nice addition.

Ooh, sausage rolls! That's a great idea! I'm sure there's a thread on them somewhere around here...
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#89 DanM

DanM
  • participating member
  • 870 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

Ooh, sausage rolls! That's a great idea! I'm sure there's a thread on them somewhere around here...

I was reading my new cookbook, River Cottage Everyday, and found a mixed mushroom tart that should fit the bill. The puff pastry (they use blitz puff pastry) is rolled out into a disc and pricked to avoid too much rise. About half a pound of mushrooms and garlic are sauteed (I might add onions or shallots) and then mixed with herbs, zest, and bread crumbs. This goes on top of the puff pastry and topped with shredded goat cheese and baked until perfect.

Dan
"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

#90 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:15 AM

That sounds good, too, Dan. What temp is it baked at? I've had trouble getting similar tarts to come out anything but soggy.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara