Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Parchment vs Wax paper

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 04:26 PM

Thanks Nickn!

I grew up in a country that out of Gandhian principles (at least then, was very conscious about recycling) did not afford even the very rich any such excesses as (wax paper, aluminum foil and zip loc bags). Paper (without bleach) ruled and were cleverly used in many recipes. Natural parchment was readily available and was used often after washing, if I remember correctly.

Brown paper that we used to cover books with was recycled after passing from one grade to another. It was used Inside Out for the second year. And if was not torn, it was used by sticking a new label on the surface for the third year.

Students that made their own note books using paper left over from note books of previous years were given special smiles and respect from teachers. I remember my mother taught me how to make my own note books. Since I did not find it un-cool to use these home made notebooks, I would use left over unused pages from note books of friends and family and make all of mine from it. But I was alone in that in my class. It was not fashionable to do this. My own siblings never understood how I could take moms advice so literally.

We had wax paper in India, but it was never used in cooking. I remember we used it as lining when one worked on surfaces that would need protection from water. But hardly to cook.

But Muslin (yes fabric) was used for several things where wax paper or parchment could be used. And brown paper was used to cover books, line baking vessels and also to use as storage.

Most of these rolls are new to me. And I am like kid in a candy store when I am in American grocery stores. I buy so much rubbish, as if to make up for all those years of not having access to them. But, recently, I have found myself again going back to those Gandhian principles, and see a trend at least amongst the cognoscenti to follow those old principles. But India, is going the American way and losing that respect for recycling and all things biodegradable.

#32 Nick

Nick
  • legacy participant
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 04:50 PM

Ah Suvir, You've brought back memories of my childhood in the country (NH). My mother, even though we were not poor, would cut up the brown paper bags from the store and use the paper for baking, draining the doughnuts, and covering schoolbooks. But, the doughnuts! That's what brought back the memories of what you just said. Draining on the brown paper and they were so good. I couldn't have a doughnut just as they came out, but I could eat the holes. I loved the holes.

Wax paper was for covering the counter (especially for flouring), wrapping some things for the fridge, and wrapping my sandwich for school. Which brings me to the bean sandwiches my mother would make on Mondays and Tuesdays from the beans she'd baked on Saturday. Man those were good. And her sandwiches made with leftover meatloaf!

Now, see where a simple discussion of wax paper can go? :smile:

#33 stefanyb

stefanyb
  • legacy participant
  • 933 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 05:19 PM

Very interesting experiments Suvir. Thanks for the research. I now probaby know anything I could have wanted to know about my question. :biggrin:

Edited by stefanyb, 23 December 2002 - 05:19 PM.