Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Nuoc mam cham with coconut juice

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,827 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:00 AM

I was googling for the correct spelling of the standard Vietnamese dipping sauce and stumbled upon this recipe which calls for coconut juice. It strikes me as a logical and interesting idea when fresh coconuts abound. Has anyone used coconut juice in nuoc mam cham? I assume that by juice they mean the "water" from the center of the coconut.

#2 zaskar

zaskar
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:05 PM

I've never seen it used, and my wife is Vietnamese. It could be a north south thing. Her parents are from the south, in Saigon.

I know that Bun Cha, has a dipping sauce. It's pretty much just like Nuoc Cham, but it has something else in it I've been trying to find what it is. I was thinking that it could be Vietnamese Csramel Sauce, my Vietnamese Sister in-law seemed to agree. Maybe it's the coconut juice. I'll have to give that a try.